New Evidence Suggests Sony Hack Was an Inside Job

Discussion in 'Android News' started by dgstorm, Dec 29, 2014.

1. dgstorm

dgstorm Editor in Chief
    Staff Member Premium Member

Ratings:
    +4,254
    [​IMG]

If you are like most of us here at DroidForums HQ, you never believed the FBI's assertion that the huge Sony hack of 2014 was perpetrated by North Korea. Those familiar with the way Internet technology works have a hard time fathoming how a backward and poor country like North Korea, with only four networks in total governing their entire Internet, could have had the skills and technical capabilities for such a large scale and penetrative breach.

The most likely culprit/culprits was probably someone who had an inside working knowledge of Sony's networks and the physical location in Japan to be able to access them. As it turns out, "Occam's Razor" may prove valid once again in this instance. There is new evidence that the Sony hack was indeed an "inside job." The most likely suspect is a person (or group of people) who were laid off rom Sony in May of this year. Here's a quote with the details,

Of course, a more thorough investigation will need to proceed forward before any of this can be proven, but at least someone is following a trail of bread-crumbs that actually make sense. What is your perspective?

You can read the full report here: A New Script Clues In Sony Hack Point To Insiders The Security Ledger

#1 dgstorm, Dec 29, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 29, 2014
    • Like Like x 2
  2. Gremlin

Gremlin Active Member

Ratings:
    +104
    oh boy...

3. cereal killer

cereal killer Administrator
    Staff Member

Ratings:
    +1,427
    Current Phone Model:
    Nokia Lumia Icon
    With the FBI and the Obama Administration pretty much saying "we know NK did this and we'll respond on our time and terms" I have to wonder who knows what. I tend to agree with the dgstorm and the article in that it was some one that had intimate knowledge of Sony's security and their networks, but then on the other hand you have the administration and the FBI pointing their fingers at NK.

If after Norse turns over their findings will this just go "unsolved" to save face? Is Norse wrong? So many questions...

• Like Like x 2
  4. grenefroggie

grenefroggie Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Ratings:
    +464
    Current Phone Model:
    Google Nexus 5
    Just read about that on ArsTechnica. But this isn't new news. I could have sworn last week I saw that they confirmed this was partly and inside job. Alternatively, I could be seeing in to the future!

5. dgstorm

dgstorm Editor in Chief

Ratings:
    +4,254
    You did see some earlier reports last week suggesting an inside job. This is the first one with greater detail on the subject.

Sorry to burst your bubble, but it doesn't look like you can quit your day job to become a fortune teller just yet! :)

• Like Like x 1
  6. grenefroggie

grenefroggie Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Ratings:
    +464
    Current Phone Model:
    Google Nexus 5
    DG, you have got it all wrong!!

LOTTERY!!

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  7. Str8Aro

Str8Aro Active Member

Ratings:
    +38
    Current Phone Model:
    LG G3
    Any predictions as to whether apologies and reparations will be forthcoming if it turns out that NK gov wasn't involved?

Some security people that I read, have been saying that it was an inside job since the news broke.

8. pc747

pc747 Administrator
    Staff Member Rescue Squad

Ratings:
    +6,174
    Not to get political, but you know Obama's speech was all for show. He did not want to look weak to the other party and his advisors watching 24hr news probably told him he needed a response. So instead of waiting or saying "we are doing a full investigation and will update asap" he jumped the gun. Now I don't fault him because despite what anyone say being the president of the United States is a hard job especially when everyone Monday morning quarterbacking you without the same facts and info you have. So to every person who have served that office hats off even if I may not agree with all the decisions they have made. But I know given the same circumstances of having to make quick decisions with everyone watching I am sure I am bound to make decisions that will make someone mad.
    But this Sony hack sounded bogus and if we all stepped back, especially after watching The Interview, we all have to admit that we were probably "honey potted", to quote a line from the movie. I would not be surprised if NK had nothing to do with it whatsoever and the Obama administration and the FBI end up having to double back on their comments.

9. mountainbikermark

mountainbikermark Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +4,348
    Maybe they'll have the president of NK to a beer summit like a time before when they jumped the gun?

Support Our Troops !!!
    <><
    Beast Mode 4

• Like Like x 1
  10. Tonik

Tonik Active Member

Ratings:
    +67
    Norse has virtually no real info. Their claims are being laughed at in the security field, just as the government claims it was Korea were laughed at. If enough people guess sooner or later someone will get it right.

Laughed at because there its no solid evidence.

Early in the article they claim to tie someone to a specific server that was used in the beginning of the attack. There is NO way they have that kind of detail of the inner network and who had what access to what.

I have a pretty good handle on what is going on, over all, with these big hacks. My kid has been on all the major need channels nonstop since this one hit.

11. thunderbolt_nick

thunderbolt_nick Thunderbolt Rescue Squad
    Rescue Squad

Ratings:
    +724
    Current Phone Model:
    Nexus 6P
    Twitter:
    @nickburress2k2
    "He HONEY POTTED ME while I was honey potting him!"

I won't use the actual words said on account of the swears but it was pretty funny. Anyways, back on topic. I can see it being an inside job but Sony never really had the best security in the first place. This wasn't a DDoS though and it seemed very intricate from the reports I've seen so having that intimate knowledge of the inner workings would be needed but not necessary. Wouldn't it be crazy if it turned out it was an insider but gave the information to North Korea? Then everyone would be right.

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  12. cereal killer

cereal killer Administrator
    Staff Member

Ratings:
    +1,427
    Current Phone Model:
    Nokia Lumia Icon
    Just to clarify, and you probably understand this, I'm not blaming Obama. It wasn't his decision. Presidents are essentially puppets and run by "advisors". The FBI and the people that advise our POTUS made a decision to place the blame squarely at the feet of the North Koreans, and IF it is in fact not them I wonder how the FBI/USA will handle that PR nightmare. Again, will they just leave it 'unsolved' or will they cook up a well written retraction, aka line of BS, of how the hackers were able to mask their footprint and lead investigators directly to NK. Saying we "messed up" would look pretty bad in the public eye I think.

I also don't think it's totally out of the realm of possibilities that the hack really did originate out of North Korea. That doesn't necessarily mean Kim Jung-un had anything to do with it either. It's HIGHLY unlikely yes, but for the FBI and POTUS to take a such a stance (blaming NK) gives me reason for pause. Why did they do that? Do they really know something? Looks and sounds like they do.

It's pretty intriguing

• Agree Agree x 1