New Evidence Suggests Sony Hack Was an Inside Job

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
sony-sign-sad.jpg

If you are like most of us here at DroidForums HQ, you never believed the FBI's assertion that the huge Sony hack of 2014 was perpetrated by North Korea. Those familiar with the way Internet technology works have a hard time fathoming how a backward and poor country like North Korea, with only four networks in total governing their entire Internet, could have had the skills and technical capabilities for such a large scale and penetrative breach.

The most likely culprit/culprits was probably someone who had an inside working knowledge of Sony's networks and the physical location in Japan to be able to access them. As it turns out, "Occam's Razor" may prove valid once again in this instance. There is new evidence that the Sony hack was indeed an "inside job." The most likely suspect is a person (or group of people) who were laid off rom Sony in May of this year. Here's a quote with the details,

According to The Security Ledger, Norse has found evidence that “a group of six individuals is behind the hack, at least one a former Sony Pictures Entertainment employee who worked in a technical role and had extensive knowledge of the company’s network and operations.”

Norse claims that the former employee allegedly involved in the attack was laid off by Sony this past May, which could be a reason that they’d turn on the company. Norse actually used human resources documents released in the hack to identify the suspect and then tracked their activity for the past several months online.

“After researching those individuals, Norse said it identified one former employee who he described as having a ‘very technical background,'” The Security Ledger writes. “Researchers from the company followed that individual online, noting angry posts she made on social media about the layoffs and Sony. Through access to IRC (Internet Relay Chat) forums and other sites, they were also able to capture communications with other individuals affiliated with underground hacking and hacktivist groups in Europe and Asia.” ~ BGR

Of course, a more thorough investigation will need to proceed forward before any of this can be proven, but at least someone is following a trail of bread-crumbs that actually make sense. What is your perspective?

You can read the full report here: A New Script Clues In Sony Hack Point To Insiders The Security Ledger

Last edited:

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
With the FBI and the Obama Administration pretty much saying "we know NK did this and we'll respond on our time and terms" I have to wonder who knows what. I tend to agree with the dgstorm and the article in that it was some one that had intimate knowledge of Sony's security and their networks, but then on the other hand you have the administration and the FBI pointing their fingers at NK.

If after Norse turns over their findings will this just go "unsolved" to save face? Is Norse wrong? So many questions...

grenefroggie

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Nexus 5
Just read about that on ArsTechnica. But this isn't new news. I could have sworn last week I saw that they confirmed this was partly and inside job. Alternatively, I could be seeing in to the future!

OP
dgstorm

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
You did see some earlier reports last week suggesting an inside job. This is the first one with greater detail on the subject.

Sorry to burst your bubble, but it doesn't look like you can quit your day job to become a fortune teller just yet! :)

grenefroggie

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Nexus 5
Sorry to burst your bubble, but it doesn't look like you can quit your day job to become a fortune teller just yet! :)

DG, you have got it all wrong!!

LOTTERY!!

Str8Aro

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
LG G3
Any predictions as to whether apologies and reparations will be forthcoming if it turns out that NK gov wasn't involved?

Some security people that I read, have been saying that it was an inside job since the news broke.

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
With the FBI and the Obama Administration pretty much saying "we know NK did this and we'll respond on our time and terms" I have to wonder who knows what. I tend to agree with the dgstorm and the article in that it was some one that had intimate knowledge of Sony's security and their networks, but then on the other hand you have the administration and the FBI pointing their fingers at NK.

If after Norse turns over their findings will this just go "unsolved" to save face? Is Norse wrong? So many questions...
Not to get political, but you know Obama's speech was all for show. He did not want to look weak to the other party and his advisors watching 24hr news probably told him he needed a response. So instead of waiting or saying "we are doing a full investigation and will update asap" he jumped the gun. Now I don't fault him because despite what anyone say being the president of the United States is a hard job especially when everyone Monday morning quarterbacking you without the same facts and info you have. So to every person who have served that office hats off even if I may not agree with all the decisions they have made. But I know given the same circumstances of having to make quick decisions with everyone watching I am sure I am bound to make decisions that will make someone mad.
But this Sony hack sounded bogus and if we all stepped back, especially after watching The Interview, we all have to admit that we were probably "honey potted", to quote a line from the movie. I would not be surprised if NK had nothing to do with it whatsoever and the Obama administration and the FBI end up having to double back on their comments.

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Not to get political, but you know Obama's speech was all for show. He did not want to look weak to the other party and his advisors watching 24hr news probably told him he needed a response. So instead of waiting or saying "we are doing a full investigation and will update asap" he jumped the gun. Now I don't fault him because despite what anyone say being the president of the United States is a hard job especially when everyone Monday morning quarterbacking you without the same facts and info you have. So to every person who have served that office hats off even if I may not agree with all the decisions they have made. But I know given the same circumstances of having to make quick decisions with everyone watching I am sure I am bound to make decisions that will make someone mad.
But this Sony hack sounded bogus and if we all stepped back, especially after watching The Interview, we all have to admit that we were probably "honey potted", to quote a line from the movie. I would not be surprised if NK had nothing to do with it whatsoever and the Obama administration and the FBI end up having to double back on their comments.
Maybe they'll have the president of NK to a beer summit like a time before when they jumped the gun?

Support Our Troops !!!
<><
Beast Mode 4

Tonik

Reaction score
Norse has virtually no real info. Their claims are being laughed at in the security field, just as the government claims it was Korea were laughed at. If enough people guess sooner or later someone will get it right.

Laughed at because there its no solid evidence.

Early in the article they claim to tie someone to a specific server that was used in the beginning of the attack. There is NO way they have that kind of detail of the inner network and who had what access to what.

I have a pretty good handle on what is going on, over all, with these big hacks. My kid has been on all the major need channels nonstop since this one hit.

thunderbolt_nick

Thunderbolt Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.nickburress.com
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
Twitter
@nickburress2k2

"He HONEY POTTED ME while I was honey potting him!"

I won't use the actual words said on account of the swears but it was pretty funny. Anyways, back on topic. I can see it being an inside job but Sony never really had the best security in the first place. This wasn't a DDoS though and it seemed very intricate from the reports I've seen so having that intimate knowledge of the inner workings would be needed but not necessary. Wouldn't it be crazy if it turned out it was an insider but gave the information to North Korea? Then everyone would be right.

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
Just to clarify, and you probably understand this, I'm not blaming Obama. It wasn't his decision. Presidents are essentially puppets and run by "advisors". The FBI and the people that advise our POTUS made a decision to place the blame squarely at the feet of the North Koreans, and IF it is in fact not them I wonder how the FBI/USA will handle that PR nightmare. Again, will they just leave it 'unsolved' or will they cook up a well written retraction, aka line of BS, of how the hackers were able to mask their footprint and lead investigators directly to NK. Saying we "messed up" would look pretty bad in the public eye I think.

I also don't think it's totally out of the realm of possibilities that the hack really did originate out of North Korea. That doesn't necessarily mean Kim Jung-un had anything to do with it either. It's HIGHLY unlikely yes, but for the FBI and POTUS to take a such a stance (blaming NK) gives me reason for pause. Why did they do that? Do they really know something? Looks and sounds like they do.

It's pretty intriguing

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Just to clarify, and you probably understand this, I'm not blaming Obama. It wasn't his decision. Presidents are essentially puppets and run by "advisors". The FBI and the people that advise our POTUS made a decision to place the blame squarely at the feet of the North Koreans, and IF it is in fact not them I wonder how the FBI/USA will handle that PR nightmare. Again, will they just leave it 'unsolved' or will they cook up a well written retraction, aka line of BS, of how the hackers were able to mask their footprint and lead investigators directly to NK. Saying we "messed up" would look pretty bad in the public eye I think.

I also don't think it's totally out of the realm of possibilities that the hack really did originate out of North Korea. That doesn't necessarily mean Kim Jung-un had anything to do with it either. It's HIGHLY unlikely yes, but for the FBI and POTUS to take a such a stance (blaming NK) gives me reason for pause. Why did they do that? Do they really know something? Looks and sounds like they do.

It's pretty intriguing
Me thinks that's why they did what they did. To make it look like they knew what's up. More times than not it is private corporations that discover the source of these things, not the government. It was private entities that discovered the source of massive hacks into credit card info, identity theft, etc of Home Depot, Target, and others. It was a private source that discovered the attempts by Iranians and Chinese to hack the defense department, not the government.
You are correct that the potus is merely a puppet, has been since well before this administration. The FED, aka 4th branch of government, is the puppet master, pulling the strings of a spoiled child (potus, congress, judicial branch) with an unlimited credit card that they spend massive amounts of money on trying to be popular with their peers. Lobbyists control congress while special interest groups and mega corporations control the presidential cabinets and judges, all being led by the exponentially mega banks that make up the Fed.

Support Our Troops !!!
<><
Beast Mode 4

Last edited:

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Me thinks that's why they did what they did. To make it look like they knew what's up. More times than not it is private corporations that discover the source of these things, not the government. It was private entities that discovered the source of massive hacks into credit card info, identity theft, etc of Home Depot, Target, and others. It was a private source that discovered the attempts by Iranians and Chinese to hack the defense department, not the government.
You are correct that the potus is merely a puppet, has been since well before this administration.

Support Our Troops !!!
<><
Beast Mode 4

Ultron for President​