Home Depot Blames Windows for Their Massive Security Hack

Discussion in 'Android News' started by dgstorm, Nov 10, 2014.

1. dgstorm

dgstorm Editor in Chief
    Staff Member Premium Member

Ratings:
    +4,254
    [​IMG]

In case you missed it, Home Depot is the latest company to be embroiled in a massive hacking scandal like the Target fiasco from last year. Just a few weeks ago, Home Depot revealed that their database was breached by hackers resulting in the theft of over 56 million credit cards and over 53 million emails.

They recently came out blaming an executive's Windows machine for the data breach, and the company quickly purchased a bunch of MacBooks and iPhones for their executives to "fix" the issue. Here's a quote with more of the details,

Perhaps their security protocols may be more to blame than the particular OS on the hacked device. What do you think?

2. leeshor

leeshor Gold Member

Ratings:
    +1,676
    Definitely a policy and procedures issue, That Executive dug his own hole. Blaming Windows is a copout.

3. johnomaz

johnomaz Silver Member

Ratings:
    +760
    Current Phone Model:
    Google Pixel XL
    $20 says they'll be running bootcamp with Windows 8 on it (or Windows 7, either or...). Talk about passing the buck. Stop using it for personal stuff and keep it work related and you won't have a problem. I've ran the built in Windows Defender antivirus stuff in Windows 8 since it was released and have never had a problem and ya, I don't stay away from unsafe sites at all. This Home Depot issue is also why my debit card was replaced which was a huge inconvenience especially when I had no idea it was coming.

4. MissionImprobable

MissionImprobable Silver Member

Ratings:
    +169
    Sounds like major lapses in security protocols, and worse still the people at the top think that going to Apple will magically fix everything. They really have zero comprehension as a company as to what's going on from their statement. There are usually multiple vulnerabilities shown when all the details of these attacks come to light.

I can tell you one company that I won't be using a credit card with anytime soon.

5. xeene

xeene Gold Member

Ratings:
    +1,029
    I used to work for them for over a decade. They are so behind the times on their back end it's sad. When everything else was running windows 7, they were using windows nt and Unix. But they were ones of the first to implement self checkouts and eliminate a dozen or so cashier positions per store.

6. pc747

pc747 Administrator
    Staff Member Rescue Squad

Ratings:
    +5,860
    Apple's happy.... they like "Yup it was windows"

[​IMG]

7. Slowpok22

Slowpok22 New Member

Ratings:
    +3
    Current Phone Model:
    HTC one M8
    Have to blame it on someone, ashame the execs can't take responsibility for their own actions/missteps, and Microsoft is an easy excuse.

8. JohnDroid

JohnDroid Administrator
    Staff Member

Ratings:
    +99

I love this gif :)

9. Ohyea!

Ohyea! Member

Ratings:
    +20
    Current Phone Model:
    Nexus 6
    I also worked for Home Depot. It was the worst job I ever had. I use to dread going to work the night before. I would get that awful feeling in my stomach every time. Just a horrible experience. Then one day I said screw this and walked out mid shift never to return.

10. xeene

xeene Gold Member

Ratings:
    +1,029
    I also quit in 2008 when economy crashed. They were laying off all the people with experience who spent years if not decades working for them and making decent wage.

11. hradek422

hradek422 Member

Ratings:
    +22
    And all I can do, is hope everyone watches this video, because when they said "Batphone" this was all I could think of.

• Like Like x 2