Sprint over Verizon?

djj624

Reaction score
Don't know where you guys are from but I'm in jersey. My work issues us sprint i1's with unlimited data and they suck. Slow as hell, constant reboot issues, without wifi its pointless to have. Downloading apps, surfing the web, listening to pandora all usless without wifi. I have a d1 from verizon for my personal phone and although they are starting up a bunch of bull. This phone and there 3g coverage is great.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
... VZW's lineup of phones is behind the times... I mean they just released a revamped EVO (the TB) recently... when it's been out since last Summer on Sprint. Don't get me wrong, the TB is a sweet device, but it's no secret VZW tends to have 'older' phones.

jimmyco2008

Reaction score
What more could one want from the thunderbolt? Like it has the best specs available...except 3D but...

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App

Jer

Reaction score
... VZW's lineup of phones is behind the times... I mean they just released a revamped EVO (the TB) recently... when it's been out since last Summer on Sprint. Don't get me wrong, the TB is a sweet device, but it's no secret VZW tends to have 'older' phones.

This was the last straw for us. We waited around for the 'next best thing' to replace our D1's with and when it was the TB which had the SAME stats save for internal storage as last year's flagship phone on Sprint (the Evo) we opted to go that route for $119 per phone price matched at Sprint Store to Amazon.com. We haven't been with Sprint long but I have had the ability to travel a fair amount already and so far I don't notice a difference in coverage save for a slight spotty difference on back highways in Wyoming & Nebraska. The funny part is that I only noticed those dead spots because I was on the phone (hands free car kit) while I traveled since I have so many more minutes (unlimited mobile to mobile) for less money so those might have been dead spots w/VZW too but I was never on the phone because our minutes were so restrictive. In larger cities it's been the same and my wife and I immediately noticed better call quality w/Evo 4G's on Sprint than D1's on VZW and it that's not even factoring in the hotly debated 4G topic. We haven't had to call Sprint (yet) but our friends who made the move in January had to call and they said that Sprint treated them like gold. They commented that the customer service was leagues beyond what they had received from T-Mobile. It's not first hand but our only first hand experience with Sprint was at their store when we were buying phones and signing up for service so while it was amazing I'm not really counting that since it was sales and they were trying to get our business. I will say that when we did sign up for VZW service from T-Mobile we had to take a number and waited an hour just to talk to a rep to give them our business so that alone was a night & day difference. It's almost felt like VZW could care less about us because they're so big which is not the feeling you want to get from a company you do business with when there are other options.

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
What more could one want from the thunderbolt? Like it has the best specs available...except 3D but...

dual core. ddr2 maybe...

If I'm gonna have my device for two years I want emerging tech... that's just me. :)

... or at least a price drop on the TB... it's a revamped EVO and should be priced as such :)

jchammer123

Reaction score
I am jumping ship and going to sprint as soon as my contract is up! Verizon is just getting to cocky for their own good and screwing the consumers. Sprint is starting to embrace the developer communities for android, which is why I'm considering the Nexus S. Unless something better comes along by the time I switch.

Jer

Reaction score
I am jumping ship and going to sprint as soon as my contract is up! Verizon is just getting to cocky for their own good and screwing the consumers. Sprint is starting to embrace the developer communities for android, which is why I'm considering the Nexus S. Unless something better comes along by the time I switch.

Look at the numbers before you decide to wait. We looked into it and with what we save per month we paid off what was left of our Early Termination Fee w/VZW in two months. That coupled with the $125 per line to port our numbers and the other deals going on right now it was a no brainer for us to pay the balance of the ETF and move to Sprint. I know paying an ETF is never fun but sometimes on paper it still makes more sense than seeing your contract through.

EFGantry

Reaction score
i'm with ya, xkape! all VZW is releasing this year are mid-tier Andy devices with incremental upgrades, and not really any of the top-end new devices. i know people are excited about the TB, but personally i don't get it. as Martin points out, it's just VZW's version of the Evo - a phone that's been out for a year. it has 4G, and slightly more RAM, but with a single core 1.2ghz (i think??) processor, no one can say it's anything earth shattering. if my rooted D1 had 4G, there wouldn't be much difference between it and the TB.

and as another example, VZW appears to be getting the Samsung Charge - another single core 4G phone, while the GalaxyS II appears headed to another carrier. Then there's the LG Optimus 2X and 3D - going to other carriers. The Atrix went to AT&T, but will come to VZW in December, when it's almost a year old, and quad cores are going to be on the horizon.

It is just dumbfounding why VZW isn't getting any of the top-end Andy devices. The only thing i can fathom is that they are just trying to rope as many people as possible in with the iP4 and iP5, and then they will come back to improving their Andy lineup - but i just don't know....dumbfounding and disappointing.

all that being said, the Bionic has the potential of being a beast. personally, i'm a little skittish over this phone because of the pre-release rumors/reports of overheating. and now, the reports are coming out that the Atrix (Bionic's brother) has some significant call quality issues.

after that, you have the DX2, the Inc2, and the D3. these appear to all be dual core devices, but only 3G - again, merely incremental upgrades. however, i am keeping a close eye on the D3, cuz there have been some rumors that this may be a vanilla android device (and maybe unlocked like the D1).

the ONLY other device that really has my attention (and it REALLY has my attention) is the Targa from Moto, rumored to be coming in Q3 or Q4. dual core, 4G, ffc, 13mp camera, hdmi out, full HD video, etc. (no word on whether it has webtop app) and, there has been some innuendo that it might be unlocked. from everything i've seen and read, THIS is one sexy, powerful device!! i ain't doin NUTHIN' until i see this thing first!!!

but, i am really tempted to go browse around a Sprint store - VZW is really chapping me right now.

jchammer123

Reaction score

Look at the numbers before you decide to wait. We looked into it and with what we save per month we paid off what was left of our Early Termination Fee w/VZW in two months. That coupled with the $125 per line to port our numbers and the other deals going on right now it was a no brainer for us to pay the balance of the ETF and move to Sprint. I know paying an ETF is never fun but sometimes on paper it still makes more sense than seeing your contract through.

That's a good point. I was planning on going in to a Sprint store when the Nexus S arrives. I'll have to check it out and see if it's worth me paying the ETF.

bplewis24

Reaction score
Please sound off.

Whenever you're considering switching carriers for a new phone, I would suggest that you first prioritize the following based on how much you care about each aspect of a carrier:

Network Reliability & Coverage
Network Speed
Phones
Plans & Features (i.e. unlimited data)
Price

There may be others, but that is a good start. I too was considering leaving Verizon, but the bad things I've been told by people in the Sacramento area (where I live) have me sticking with Verizon until a phone comes out that I like. The fact that they are now bringing 4G to Sacramento in 2011 just solidifies this.

For me, coverage and reliability are more important than the differences of a phone. I can live without an LED notification or with a 4.3" screen as opposed to my preferred size of 4.0". However, what I cannot live with are dropped calls and spotty coverage. When I was with Sprint for my job, that is what I had, and as soon as I changed jobs, I switched back to Verizon.

To answer your question, Verizon is supposed to have another flagship device other than the TBolt and the coming out later this year code-named the Targa. We still don't know much about it yet, but if the Bionic and the Droid3 don't whet your appetite, look out for the Targa.

Brandon

EFGantry

Reaction score

dual core. ddr2 maybe...

If I'm gonna have my device for two years I want emerging tech... that's just me. :)

... or at least a price drop on the TB... it's a revamped EVO and should be priced as such :)

+1 paying 300 or 400 bones, and locked in for 2 years, on a device that's (in my opinion) going to be middle of the road in a few months?? not for me... but, if it fits the needs of someone else, no skin off me. :)

droidlady05

Reaction score
If Sprint has good coverage where you live, work and play I say go for it. But, if you travel a lot I'd stay with Big Red and wait for the Moto Targa. I can't begin to tell how many times I've been on vacation and/or off the beaten path and the only person whose phone worked was mine. It's not fun when everyone else has to use your phone because thiers is not getting signal or keeps cutting out etc. With Big Red you're paying for reliability. Sprint does have a lot of cool phones right now. Hopefully, Big Red will get a Nexus type phone...

Jer

Reaction score
If Sprint has good coverage where you live, work and play I say go for it. But, if you travel a lot I'd stay with Big Red and wait for the Moto Targa. I can't begin to tell how many times I've been on vacation and/or off the beaten path and the only person whose phone worked was mine. It's not fun when everyone else has to use your phone because thiers is not getting signal or keeps cutting out etc. With Big Red you're paying for reliability. Sprint does have a lot of cool phones right now. Hopefully, Big Red will get a Nexus type phone...

Post #19. I too thought I would lose a lot in coverage leaving VZW because I had been brainwashed by the marketing but so far it's been great.