Sony Forecasting Quadruple Losses Due to Smartphone Division

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
sony_logo_shadowed.png

Although Sony already cut its forecast for smartphone sales in July, they have had to readjust their predictions for the financial year and the outlook is bleak. Sony is now expecting quadruple the losses and it's due to poor sales of their Xperia smartphones.

Sony now expects a 180 billion yen ($1.7 billion) "impairment" after an internal review of its mobile division. Sony shared that they have changed their focus from "achieving significant sales growth" to reducing risk, volatility and "more stable profits." Apparently the mid-range devices were the worst offenders so Sony is likely to return their focus to premium devices.

Source: Sony

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
And make it look better. It's fugly.
whut? whut?

I really like Sony's Xperia lineup ;) Nice looking phone, feels premium. I always stop by the kiosk at the mall when they release a new Xperia and wish VZW would carry them

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
Expand your carriers and you will increase sales. Duh?
300+ million people in USA and only 50 million can purchase the device.

Right? My god... 50M??? Are you sure even that many? ATT and VZW didn't carry it. Now... I KNOW T-Mobile had it because my sister has one. However I just checked the TMobile site and Sony is NOT listed. DId they pull out?
Ridiculous. Totally blew it Sony. I love the Xperia and WOULD have gotten one.

SERIOUSLY losing respect for Sony...

And make it look better. It's fugly.

I actually like it.

xeene

Gold Member
Reaction score
Right? My god... 50M??? Are you sure even that many? ATT and VZW didn't carry it. Now... I KNOW T-Mobile had it because my sister has one. However I just checked the TMobile site and Sony is NOT listed. DId they pull out?

I actually like it.
It hasn't been released yet, but T-Mobile is the only carrier in states that signed up to carry it.

jspradling7

Reaction score
whut? whut?

I really like Sony's Xperia lineup ;) Nice looking phone, feels premium. I always stop by the kiosk at the mall when they release a new Xperia and wish VZW would carry them

: ) That thing has a chin and forehead bigger than Joe Leno's. I like the looks of devices with more display/size percentage.

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
Ehhh... I might give him that. Even the Compact is a touch taller then it needs to be. ;)

Ollie

Droid Does
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note Edge - iPhone 6 Plus
I have yet to see one in the wild where I live. It's a shame too since I switch phones often and haven't had the chance to try them. They look nice.

liftedplane

Gold Member
Reaction score
Expand your carriers and you will increase sales. Duh?
300+ million people in USA and only 50 million can purchase the device.

I actually like it.

Exactly, I definitely would have bought the Z2 or any of the other phones... just get on more carriers. really frustrating.