Sony Xperia Z3 Unlocked Version Now Available for AT&T and T-Mobile

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
sony-xperia-z3-unlocked.jpeg

Sony has he unlocked version of their new flagship, the Xperia Z3 available for sale. This version is currently only supported by AT&T and T-Mobile. It's retail price is $679.99, but you would expect to pay a premium for an unlocked device. As a refresher, here are the Sony highlights for the phone,
  • Premium waterproof* smartphone
  • 20.7MP camera & 4K video: high quality images & videos
  • Highest waterproof rating IP65/681: Up to 30 min & 1.5m depth
  • Up to 2 days battery life for long lasting performance2
  • SteadyShot™ technology with Intelligent Active Mode™4
  • PS4™ Remote Play3
  • Audio: S-Force Front Surround, Hi-Res audio support, DSEE HX
Dang! There are so many great flagship mobile phones out right now, it's really tough to choose!

Here's the link to the Sony online storer to grab yours: Xperia Z3 LTE - XZ3D6603 Review Sony Store U.S. - Sony US

Also, for more discussions regarding the Sony Xperia Z3, please check out our section here: Sony Xperia Z3 Android Forums at DroidForums.net

Ollie

Droid Does
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note Edge - iPhone 6 Plus
I'm curious as to what the differences are between the Z3v and this Z3.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
Well for one, the z3 is not exclusive to the VO LTE network on Verizon so, like earlier phones this phone can do voice and data transmission simultaneously on typical 4G networks.

Although somebody recently posted something that said the z3 fee had gotten the update which would allow it to communicate simultaneous voice and data on Verizon's 4G LTE over VOLTE, so I'm not sure that difference means anything at this point.

Ollie

Droid Does
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Ok the differences are numerous.

The Verizon version has a different camera, different battery, and a different screen.

Verizon's battery is 100mAH larger, but the camera ISO is smaller (with a larger lens), and the screen isn't as good as the regular Z3.

popcenator

Droid X Rescue Squad
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
So sounds like the Z3 is the better choice.

on the move..

Ollie

Droid Does
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
The TMo version is supposed to come in a 32GB version as well.

popcenator

Droid X Rescue Squad
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
If the ergonomics were a little better and there wasn't so many apps forced onto you I'd probably own a Z3. I really like the Z3 all in all.

on the move..

Ollie

Droid Does
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
I was under the impression that the Z3 was relatively bloat free? Or are you talking about the Version version?

I'm still hoping that they announce the Turbo on Tmobile soon. I've got 3 weeks left before shopping for phones.

popcenator

Droid X Rescue Squad
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Verizon has there normal array of apps, and then Sony has a bit on there too. The Sony apps may be more valuable, and some people may really like them but I just don't see myself using much of the Sony apps.

on the move..

Ollie

Droid Does
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
I've never used a Sony phone. This one has my attention though and I'm looking forward to test driving it.

I wish the screen were bigger since I like the phablet range of screen sizes. Other than that it looks like a hit.

bkdodger

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 10+
I almost pulled the trigger yesterday but a few things stopped me.. Don't like 16GB internal even with sd card slot.. Screen is similar to M8 size wise.. And price outright I'd rather take a Note 4... In my case Pre-ordered Nexus 6 yesterday

M8 tap'd

Ollie

Droid Does
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Yeah the reviewers are saying the Z3v is more akin to a Z2.5

The GSM Z3 has a brighter screen and a slightly lower battery size. I wonder how much this will impact on-screen time? The on-screen time of the Z3v is phenomenal and that alone is what has me looking at this phone.

popcenator

Droid X Rescue Squad
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I almost pulled the trigger yesterday but a few things stopped me.. Don't like 16GB internal even with sd card slot.. Screen is similar to M8 size wise.. And price outright I'd rather take a Note 4... In my case Pre-ordered Nexus 6 yesterday

M8 tap'd
Through Motorola?

on the move..

xeene

Gold Member
Reaction score
Yeah the reviewers are saying the Z3v is more akin to a Z2.5

The GSM Z3 has a brighter screen and a slightly lower battery size. I wonder how much this will impact on-screen time? The on-screen time of the Z3v is phenomenal and that alone is what has me looking at this phone.
I don't know how much brighter it needs to be as I keep mine at 50% all the time and it's plenty bright in outdoors. Full power makes my eyes hurt it's so bright.