Sony Double: New Flagship Coming Later in Year; Sony Wants #3 Spot, Plans to go Cheap

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Sony-make-believe-colorful-logo.jpg

Here's a Sony news double-header. Ironically both of these pieces of news kind of seem a bit contradictory. First up, there is word on the street that the Xperia Z is not the only high-end flagship device from the Japanese device maker set to come out this year. According to some leaked intel revealed over at BGR, Sony plans to bring out a device that will be designed to compete directly with the HTC One and the SGS4. This device will be the Xperia C670X and come with the following specs,
  • 4.8-inch full HD display
  • 1.8GHz quad-core Snapdragon 600 processor
  • Adreno 320 graphics
  • 13-megapixel rear camera
  • 2GB RAM
  • 32GB of internal storage
  • Android 4.2 Jelly Bean
This seems to coincide with some previous rumors suggesting similar strategies from the company.

The second bit of news we have for Sony today seems to suggest that Sony will be moving in the opposite direction with their future mobile strategy. Reuters reports that According to Sony Mobile's head Kunimasa Suzuki, Sony intends to become the number three mobile handset maker after Samsung and Apple. They intend to surpass Huawei (the current third place device shipper globally), and they will do that by focusing their future efforts at building affordable budget-conscious devices in emerging markets. This seems to be in stark contrast to their statement last year claiming they plan to focus only on making high-end devices.

Still, these two ideas are not necessarily mutually exclusive. Perhaps Sony will simply start moving into the budget-friendly market more aggressively, but will also debut one or two high-end devices per year for the prestige market. Just because a company intends to focus on the larger market of affordable devices, doesn't mean they won't also have a few more expensive offerings. Regardless, Sony has a really huge hill to climb. As always, we will keep you informed of their progress.

johnomaz

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel 2XL
If they keep up their good practice of releasing the source for both the OS and Kernel, AND make it affordable, I'll buy one.

bazar6

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.imbazar.me
Going for number 3 is aiming a little short, don't you think?

Prepare to be number three, but aim for number one. That way it's not such a let down when you miss the top #1 mark. I've never heard anyone say "Yea I'm aiming for third place, I don't really want first or second"

johnomaz

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel 2XL
Going for number 3 is aiming a little short, don't you think?

Prepare to be number three, but aim for number one. That way it's not such a let down when you miss the top #1 mark. I've never heard anyone say "Yea I'm aiming for third place, I don't really want first or second"

I think they realize the big numbers they would have to overcome to become number one. At the very least I think if they were to achieve the 3 spot, number 2 wouldn't be far off.

akhenax

Silver Member
Reaction score
If they get the number 3 spot, then they could "make believe" that they are number 1.