Sony Vows to Create Competitive Flagship Phone to the SGS3 and iPhone 5

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
sony-yuga-rumored-render.jpg

Despite their struggle with relevance in the mobile landscape, Sony has vowed to soldier on. Dennis van Schie, the CVP of Sales & Marketing at Sony, has shared that Sony intends to release a new flagship device designed to compete with the the Samsung Galaxy S III and the Apple iPhone 5. He said, “We will create in the near future a flagship model that can compete with Apple’s iPhone and Samsung’s Galaxy S III."

Most of the industry speculation is that he is referring to the rumored Sony Yuga phablet device. Here's a recap of what the suspected specs are:
  • 5-inch 1080p display
  • Auad-core Snapdragon S4
  • 2GB of RAM
  • 12-megapixel camera
  • May be water and dust resistant with IP57 certification
  • Android 4.1 Jelly Bean including on-screen buttons
What do you guys think? Could this phone make Sony enticing again, or turn out to be another "almost ran" in a crowded market?

If the recent Sony Xperial TL, (aka the James Bond phone) is any indication, then Sony still has a shot at becoming competitive again.

Source: PhoneArena

Narsil

Silver Member
Reaction score
One the one hand, I'm all for competition; it fosters innovation. On the other hand, Sony?

tumblr_mcb0wh3zUB1r6turko1_500.gif

johnomaz

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel 2XL
I was thinking the same as Narsil. I'm not fond of Sony in general. Plus, with their dismal earnings lately, I'm not giving the my money and end up seeing them leave the market.

xsirxx

Reaction score
Ugh. Heck no. Sony is just as bad as Apple when it comes to being closed off to the world. I dont even want them involved in our little ecosystem!

Reaction score
If Sony were to make another phone with a slide out controller, but actually up the specs to where it would be competitive against other phones and leave it as vanilla and open as possible like a Gnex they would kick complete ass. I've always wanted gaming controls, but the xperia play is so under speced and themed that it sucks. One can only wish.

BigZig

Reaction score
Come on Sony. I am just a consumer and i can tell you that if this phone is not ready to release in the next month or so they will not be competing with the GS III they will be competing with the new line of Phones next year and this phone will be outdated!!! This is why Sony will continue to fail in the moble market.

skennelly

Reaction score
The iPhone 5 is already obsolete and in the "near future" the sgs3 will not be a flagship anymore. So is Sony trying to tell us they are planning to release a device that will compete with old technology? Wow, can't wait.

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
Sony is going down the path that is similar to moto... the razr HD is a day late and a dollar short.. had they released the HD in July, it would've been on even ground. Its still a decent phone, excellent build quality.. but too late.

Sony should be thinking ahead, not worrying about what's out now.. imho

MissionImprobable

Silver Member
Reaction score
Ugh. Heck no. Sony is just as bad as Apple when it comes to being closed off to the world. I dont even want them involved in our little ecosystem!

While Sony is a bit slow to the game on this end, they destroy Moto when it comes to the ease of development, and there also at least equal to if not better than Samsung and HTC as well. Not only do they have an official Dev and modding area as part of their official site, they even offer units to developers for use.

If Sony can improve their marketing and image and make sure their devices stay up to date there's no reason they shouldn't be a top company.

sweeeeet

Silver Member
Reaction score
stop wasting your time on this and go make me a new PlayStation

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

combatmedic870

Reaction score
While Sony is a bit slow to the game on this end, they destroy Moto when it comes to the ease of development, and there also at least equal to if not better than Samsung and HTC as well. Not only do they have an official Dev and modding area as part of their official site, they even offer units to developers for use.

If Sony can improve their marketing and image and make sure their devices stay up to date there's no reason they shouldn't be a top company.

This^^^

Sony Opened up for developing last year and started sending devs phones(like said above).

Some of you may forget...but Sony did release the first phone with a 1.5ghz S4 Pro processor eariler this year(i dont think in the US though). Which is still bleeding edge right now. Sony is EXTREMELY innovative when they want to be.

I would not be surprised if Sony released a phone soon and completely DESTROYS everything out right now. They have done that with cameras recently with the RX100 and RX1. Both a good amount ahead of there time and destroyed ANY competition out there right now.

Last edited:

c.r.ayala

Reaction score
If this phone is truely a rugged phone like the specs claim it might be though then im all in. ive been looking for a phone i can take anywhere since im very active (snow, beach, river, desert, VEGAS) and not have to be worrying about it every second. every rugged phone out there is HORRIBLE in specs right now..this could be exactly what ive been waiting for! i agree with everyone else that its specific specs might be less than that of the current phones..but it beed a high speced rugged android phone makes it all up in my opinion

sweeeeet

Silver Member
Reaction score
If this phone is truely a rugged phone like the specs claim it might be though then im all in. ive been looking for a phone i can take anywhere since im very active (snow, beach, river, desert, VEGAS) and not have to be worrying about it every second. every rugged phone out there is HORRIBLE in specs right now..this could be exactly what ive been waiting for! i agree with everyone else that its specific specs might be less than that of the current phones..but it beed a high speced rugged android phone makes it all up in my opinion

rugged? i didn't read anything about it being rugged... dust and water "resistant" isn't really rugged by any stretch

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk