Something loose? Camera?

Kstyle723

Reaction score
So, on night 5 and I'm loving this phone more and more still. I was taking it out my otter box when i heard what seems to be the camera or something loose in the phone. Everything works like a charm, and I'm sure its nothing major, just wanted to confirm everyone's does this before I put anymore work into this thing lol. If you hold it screen up with one hand, an LIGHTLY tap the camera end on your bother hand, if yours is like mine you'll here something loose. Please tell me this is just the way its supposed to be lol. Thanks!

Sent from my DROID RAZR using DroidForums

SallyC

Reaction score
Sorry but I don't hear anything. Doesn't seem right to me. I'd take it to a dealer.

It is a phone though. I'm loving mine more each day.

OP
Kstyle723

Kstyle723

Reaction score
Sorry but I don't hear anything. Doesn't seem right to me. I'd take it to a dealer.

It is a phone though. I'm loving mine more each day.

(Hehehe I learned how to quote sally ;) Well darn.... I hope I don't have to start all over... think I'm developing carpal tunnel lol.

Anyone else? I can tap on the camera with one finger and here a slight rattle....

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
(Hehehe I learned how to quote sally ;) Well darn.... I hope I don't have to start all over... think I'm developing carpal tunnel lol.

Anyone else? I can tap on the camera with one finger and here a slight rattle....

Never heard a rattle as you mention until my former D2 actually started having focus problems. Sometimes it would focus fine, other times it wouldn't. Eventually it became more often a problem than not, and then eventually it stopped focusing altogether. I found out during its period of partial failure that if I tapped on the front of the phone gently right behind the camera it would focus closer and closer on items nearby, and if I tapped on the back of the phone right next to the lens it would focus on distant objects, so for a while I was doing that to take pictures, (sad, I know...)

I eventually found a used camera for the D2 on eBay, and then also found another person selling a complete set of decals for the phone (the back covers) and with it they were supplying the Torx drivers needed to completely open the phone. I paid in total about $30 for everything. Then I followed a Youtube video and a photo gallery of a teardown of the D2 and was able to successfully replace the camera. :icon_ banana: It now focuses and takes beautiful pictures again!

It will now be my son's phone. That wasn't meant to be off-topic, but instead to alert you to the issue, so that if the camera is loose, it may be the start of the same problem I had with the D2. Hope not for your sake, but you never know until you know.

Just as a FYI, the actual lens is mounted on two VERY FINE wire springs, and the lens assembly sits over an electromagnet structure which actually pushes or pulls the lens out or in to create the focusing effect. It's actually pretty amazing to see up close (see below). The tapping sound you hear may simply be the tiny lens assembly bouncing around on the electromagnet motors which move it. I wouldn't worry about it, but I WOULD refrain from tapping it any more lest you cause the problem I experienced with the D2.

View attachment 44769 (full size image HERE Redirect Notice)

Last edited:
OP
Kstyle723

Kstyle723

Reaction score
I've heard the rattle, its the power button.

You nailed it... thank you! It is the power button, and I feel like an idiot lol. Ah... I can sleep better tonight haha. This forum sure has been a big help. Thanks again!

OP
Kstyle723

Kstyle723

Reaction score
Never heard a rattle as you mention until my former D2 actually started having focus problems. Sometimes it would focus fine, other times it wouldn't. Eventually it became more often a problem than not, and then eventually it stopped focusing altogether. I found out during its period of partial failure that if I tapped on the front of the phone gently right behind the camera it would focus closer and closer on items nearby, and if I tapped on the back of the phone right next to the lens it would focus on distant objects, so for a while I was doing that to take pictures, (sad, I know...)

I eventually found a used camera for the D2 on eBay, and then also found another person selling a complete set of decals for the phone (the back covers) and with it they were supplying the Torx drivers needed to completely open the phone. I paid in total about $30 for everything. Then I followed a Youtube video and a photo gallery of a teardown of the D2 and was able to successfully replace the camera. :icon_ banana: It now focuses and takes beautiful pictures again!

It will now be my son's phone. That wasn't meant to be off-topic, but instead to alert you to the issue, so that if the camera is loose, it may be the start of the same problem I had with the D2. Hope not for your sake, but you never know until you know.

Thanks for all the info! I will definitly keep and eye out for that issue in the future

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
I've heard the rattle, its the power button.

Ah...power button. Sure is making a rattle when I tap the phone. Happy to hear it's not his camera.