(Someone)Fcc just called me about locked bootloader!

ChevyNexus

Reaction score
Ehh not to be rough but this really means less then nothing anyone can say anything with no proof on the internet...

Stelv

Silver Member
Reaction score
Subscribing. Hopefully something comes of this.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

cobravnm13

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy Note 9
Subscribing. Hopefully something comes of this.

I second this motion.

Sent from my 3rd reincarnation of the ever-so-lovable Droid

JayR_

Theme Developer
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Santa clause just texted me.. xmas in july this year :D

Sent from my DROID using DroidForums

Tonik

Reaction score
While I hope it is true I find it hard to believe that the FCC would move this fast. This would take months and months of lawyers and investigation. On the other hand, that poster over there has 1800 posts. I also find it hard to believe that he would throw his rep out the window on that board by making it up.

Dan_08

Reaction score
Sounds legit to me. I filed a claim for Vz regarding the 4g upgrade and the Xoom and i got a call back fairly quick. I work for the Government and every now and again we work ;)

Stelv

Silver Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know the legality of an encrypted bootloader? It seems like if we are buying a device but don't receive full ownership of it, that that is breaking the law.

macpro88

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
The legality has something to do with this:

Certain 4G phones use a special frequency spectrum, the believe it or not, Google owns the rights to, under their rights, these 4G phones using this spectrum (Block C I think its called) have to be fully unlocked.

That's the short rundown, there's more, but I think that's the main point.

So any 4G phone NOT in the spectrum, don't have to be unlocked, and there's nothing we can do about that.

The only reason the community is gaining head way is because of some of these phones being in the special spectrum that by law under the open source license have to be unlocked.

Snow02

Reaction score
The legality has something to do with this:

Certain 4G phones use a special frequency spectrum, the believe it or not, Google owns the rights to, under their rights, these 4G phones using this spectrum (Block C I think its called) have to be fully unlocked.

That's the short rundown, there's more, but I think that's the main point.

So any 4G phone NOT in the spectrum, don't have to be unlocked, and there's nothing we can do about that.

The only reason the community is gaining head way is because of some of these phones being in the special spectrum that by law under the open source license have to be unlocked.

No. Verizon won the bid. Google bid it up high enough to trigger the open provisions though. However, locked probably only refers to carrier locking, not bootloader locking. But leave it up to the government to misinterpret their own rules.

macpro88

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
No. Verizon won the bid. Google bid it up high enough to trigger the open provisions though. However, locked probably only refers to carrier locking, not bootloader locking. But leave it up to the government to misinterpret their own rules.

Wow Really? That is some lame crap...

Snow02

Reaction score

Agreed. But like I said, the FCC may still deem that bootloaders are included. We'll see... It looks like they're at least considering it.

macpro88

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Agreed. But like I said, the FCC may still deem that bootloaders are included. We'll see... It looks like they're at least considering it.

lets hope so, and lets hope they go forward with it as well and for all devices too, they should take after Chilie was it? that deemed all phones had to be unlocked? that would be aweomse

Tonik

Reaction score

Ask 10 lawyers on this issue and you will get 10 different answers. There is also a clause in there to allow for network health and security. The bottom line is VZ/Moto will have lawyers working on this...and we won't. But still if this is happening it is a good thing. It adds pressure on VZ/Moto and I actually think the pressure is mounting and it might get us somewhere. Pretty hard for Moto to defend themselves publicly on this one. They promised to do it by the end of 2011 and HTC is adding VZ phones left and right that are unlocked. The key I think is to keep getting press on it, ZDNet...anywhere we can.