Verizon Clarifies Their Policy on Locked Bootloaders in a Letter to the FCC

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
vzw-letter-to-fcc.png

In a response to a formal complaint filed with the FCC, Verizon has shed some light on how they view locked bootloaders. The letter states that unlocked bootloaders would allow users to run software that could "negatively impact how the phone connects to the network" and "the wireless experience for other customers". Verizon stated that this is to "ensure that we provide the best solution for as many customers as possible" and that it's "a delicate balance for any company to manage the technology choices we make for our branded devices and the request of a few who may want a different experience".

What do you think of Verizon's stance on locked bootloaders? Let us know what you think.

By eDogNights

Source: Endgadget

syndicate0017

Silver Member
Reaction score
Grasping at straws...I have no idea how one phone's software could negatively impact the network as whole. I'm pretty sure Verizon has no idea either. Can't say I'm surprised by the stance though.

jrracinfan

Reaction score
To sum it all up, they are anti-"open source". Pretty sure last time I checked Android is open source, and by means of so-called "modifying software", they are not modifying anything. What if the user does not want your crappy bloatware on their fresh new device? Willing to offer this service free of charge to consumers? If not, then keep the bootloaders unlocked, that's my stance.

Oh and another thing, they just want to be big brother and have their location services on you at all times. Jerks ....

MdicnMan

Reaction score
I would like to know what they were responding to from the FCC and what the FCC response to them saying, essentially, "Too Bad" will be.

pbarch1

Reaction score
smoke and mirrors

They seem to be the only company that is concerned with this issue. That alone makes me consider the validity of their statement.

bullswife98

Reaction score
Ha!! All this says to me is that the Development community provides better software than what Verizon has. Verizon can't control over,and push what they want on the developer's to install. Basically our developers here are better at development than what Verizon can do with the one's that are employed with them. Too funny IMO! ;)

Sent from my DROID RAZR using DroidForums

Alastrionia

Sourcery Themer / Designr
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
All this tells me is the same ol line of crap that VZW has always given.

so locked bootloaders are bad m'kay

so why do HTC, Samsung, and others get to have them but not Motorola?

hogwash, all hogwash :)

I'll just enjoy my AXIOM ICS from DroidTheory in the meantime

captdroid

Reaction score
For now I really don't care what Verizon's stance on locked boot loaders might be. My Verizon Galaxy Nexus is unlocked (came with the option to be unlocked) and does what I need and under two year contract. So until I am ready for a new device and looking to stay once again with Verizon I don't care what their opinion is on the topic... lol :D

gmorgan056

Reaction score
I filed a complaint with the FCC several months ago and got the same exact letter. To me this is just a cover so that they can send a response to the FCC. Maybe the FCC would see that in step in, but doubt it.

Malvado

DF News Team/Mod
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
Grasping at straws...I have no idea how one phone's software could negatively impact the network as whole. I'm pretty sure Verizon has no idea either. Can't say I'm surprised by the stance though.
More like verizons network negatively affects our devices. For example the nexus signal and all of the 4g drops

jt122333221

Reaction score
More like verizons network negatively affects our devices. For example the nexus signal and all of the 4g drops

That's the phone itself. I've had a Bionic for just over 5 months and have experienced no drops in 4G coverage. Not to defend Verizon or anything, but their 4G service has been far better than Alltel/AT&T's service has been.

syndicate0017

Silver Member
Reaction score
That's the phone itself. I've had a Bionic for just over 5 months and have experienced no drops in 4G coverage. Not to defend Verizon or anything, but their 4G service has been far better than Alltel/AT&T's service has been.

I think he was referring to the 4G outages that Verizon has experienced nationwide.

Ohyea!

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6
This is all pointless anyway. Nothing will come of this inquiry and we of the few "loud minority" will never have unlocked/ unencrypted boot-loaders on VZW as a whole. Yes, I know the Nexus is unencrypted, but that was more an exception than the rule. If I had to bet I'd say this is probably the last Nexus type phone we will ever see on VZW.

SquireSCA

Silver Member
Reaction score
How can Verizon make that claim to the FCC, while they offer the Nexus?

If they want to take the stance that unlocked bootloaders interfere with service delivery or compromise the network integrity, fine, but then don't allow some phones to be unlocked but not others. I think that all one would have to do is show the FCC the Galaxy Nexus and they would see that VZW obviously isn't concerned with unlocked bootloaders...