1. You want that $100.00 in your pocket or an Amazon Fire TV don't you? Well here's the deal. With our new updated look we are in desperate need of an updated logo. The 'old' one has certainly served us well, but it's time. Find all the details here: bit.ly/1q0k6Wa
  2. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

Verizon Clarifies Their Policy on Locked Bootloaders in a Letter to the FCC

Discussion in 'Android News' started by dgstorm, Mar 1, 2012.

1. dgstorm

dgstorm Editor in Chief Staff Member Premium Member

[​IMG]

In a response to a formal complaint filed with the FCC, Verizon has shed some light on how they view locked bootloaders. The letter states that unlocked bootloaders would allow users to run software that could "negatively impact how the phone connects to the network" and "the wireless experience for other customers". Verizon stated that this is to "ensure that we provide the best solution for as many customers as possible" and that it's "a delicate balance for any company to manage the technology choices we make for our branded devices and the request of a few who may want a different experience".

What do you think of Verizon's stance on locked bootloaders? Let us know what you think.

By eDogNights

Source: Endgadget
  2. syndicate0017

syndicate0017 Well-Known Member

Grasping at straws...I have no idea how one phone's software could negatively impact the network as whole. I'm pretty sure Verizon has no idea either. Can't say I'm surprised by the stance though.
    1 person likes this.
  3. jrracinfan

jrracinfan New Member

To sum it all up, they are anti-"open source". Pretty sure last time I checked Android is open source, and by means of so-called "modifying software", they are not modifying anything. What if the user does not want your crappy bloatware on their fresh new device? Willing to offer this service free of charge to consumers? If not, then keep the bootloaders unlocked, that's my stance.

Oh and another thing, they just want to be big brother and have their location services on you at all times. Jerks ....
    3 people like this.
  4. MdicnMan

MdicnMan New Member

I would like to know what they were responding to from the FCC and what the FCC response to them saying, essentially, "Too Bad" will be.
  5. pbarch1

pbarch1 New Member

smoke and mirrors

They seem to be the only company that is concerned with this issue. That alone makes me consider the validity of their statement.
  6. bullswife98

bullswife98 New Member

Ha!! All this says to me is that the Development community provides better software than what Verizon has. Verizon can't control over,and push what they want on the developer's to install. Basically our developers here are better at development than what Verizon can do with the one's that are employed with them. Too funny IMO! ;)

Sent from my DROID RAZR using DroidForums
    1 person likes this.
  7. Alastrionia

Alastrionia Sourcery Themer / Designr Theme Developer Premium Member

All this tells me is the same ol line of crap that VZW has always given.

so locked bootloaders are bad m'kay

so why do HTC, Samsung, and others get to have them but not Motorola?

hogwash, all hogwash :)

I'll just enjoy my AXIOM ICS from DroidTheory in the meantime
    1 person likes this.
  8. captdroid

captdroid New Member

For now I really don't care what Verizon's stance on locked boot loaders might be. My Verizon Galaxy Nexus is unlocked (came with the option to be unlocked) and does what I need and under two year contract. So until I am ready for a new device and looking to stay once again with Verizon I don't care what their opinion is on the topic... lol :D
  9. gmorgan056

gmorgan056 New Member

I filed a complaint with the FCC several months ago and got the same exact letter. To me this is just a cover so that they can send a response to the FCC. Maybe the FCC would see that in step in, but doubt it.
  10. Malvado

Malvado DF News Team/Mod Premium Member

More like verizons network negatively affects our devices. For example the nexus signal and all of the 4g drops
  11. syndicate0017

Haha. Truth.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk
  12. jt122333221

jt122333221 New Member

That's the phone itself. I've had a Bionic for just over 5 months and have experienced no drops in 4G coverage. Not to defend Verizon or anything, but their 4G service has been far better than Alltel/AT&T's service has been.
  13. syndicate0017

I think he was referring to the 4G outages that Verizon has experienced nationwide.
  14. Ohyea!

Ohyea! Member

This is all pointless anyway. Nothing will come of this inquiry and we of the few "loud minority" will never have unlocked/ unencrypted boot-loaders on VZW as a whole. Yes, I know the Nexus is unencrypted, but that was more an exception than the rule. If I had to bet I'd say this is probably the last Nexus type phone we will ever see on VZW.
  15. SquireSCA

SquireSCA Well-Known Member

How can Verizon make that claim to the FCC, while they offer the Nexus?

If they want to take the stance that unlocked bootloaders interfere with service delivery or compromise the network integrity, fine, but then don't allow some phones to be unlocked but not others. I think that all one would have to do is show the FCC the Galaxy Nexus and they would see that VZW obviously isn't concerned with unlocked bootloaders...
    1 person likes this.
  16. jerkwad

jerkwad New Member

I would love to have the phone number in that letter and speak to this jack-off personally. Specifically asking him if he's ever heard of the Nexus on his network. It would be great to say something along the lines of "Why do the RAZR, Rezound, and Nexus have locked bootloaders?" to which he might reply with this garbage statement, at which time you could clarify that you neglected to mention that the Nexus IS unlocked...then play a sound-bite of crickets in the background as he tries to offer up credibility to his bogus reasons he JUST stated 30 seconds prior. Give me his number please ;-)
    1 person likes this.
  17. SquireSCA

Better yet, why not reach out to the person that Verizon sent the letter to? Show them the letter that VZW sent in, and then show her the Galaxy Nexus and how it is unlocked, and ask her how both can be true at the same time? If VZW's defense is network security and a consistant customer service experience, then why is VZW the exclusive retailer of the unlocked Nexus phone?

She can be reached here:

Agency Contact:
    Sharon Bowers
    Acting Chief, Consumer Inquiries and Complaints Div.
    Federal Communications Commission
    Consumer and Governmental Affairs Bureau, 445 12th Street SW.,
    Washington, DC 20554
    Phone:717 338-2533
    Email: sharon.bowers@fcc.gov
  18. jerkwad

jerkwad New Member

^ excellent - i was too lazy to find her contact info ;-)

It is definitely worth sending her an email and seeing if anything comes of it. If that fails, there is always a phone number...

I wonder if someone (me?) were to draft a response email to this and we took a few days to massage it and make sure it didn't sound like whiney kids, if this would be something worth doing....thoughts?
  19. jerkwad

jerkwad New Member

Does anyone have the Account or Reference (preferable) number that is removed from the image?
  20. SquireSCA

I just sent her the following:

"I am sure that this is not the first email that you have received on this topic. However, I recently read a letter that was published that showed Verizon refuting a complaint about locked bootloaders from a consumer.

I read their "defense", and if I did not know any better I would have concluded that their argument of network integrity and how "unlocked bootloaders can hinder the customer service experience that their customers expect"... Until I recalled that Verizon is the exclusive retailer of the Samsung Galazy Nexus, an unlocked Google phone.

So if I understand this correctly... Verizon claims that they require locked bootloaders for the above reasons, and yet they paid premium money to get the most anticipated and most widely sold UNLOCKED phone on the US market for their network?

Am I the only one who sees through their bogus argument?

The truth is that Verizon gets paid a lot of money to pre-load "bloat" software onto the phone whether consumers want it or not. They also load up a lot of their own bloat software to try to coerce you into using their peripheral "paid" services rather than the cheaper or even free alternatives that the open market provides.

Android is open-source. Verizon's attempts to lock down an open-source OS to prevent or at the very least coerce customers to purchase their services or block althernatives is something that needs to be looked at.

If they want to load up the phone with all sorts of stuff in the same manner that Dell does, so be it. But I am paying hundreds of dollars for the phone. I should be allowed to uninstall or change the things that I want, to use *my* phone in the manner that I see fit. If I have gone with the Galaxy Nexus, I would be able to do just that.

Thank you for your time.

David Nixon
    Atlanta, GA"
    1 person likes this.
Search tags for this page

fcc sharon bowers phone number

sharon bowers fcc 445 12th street

sharon bowers fcc phone number