Some questions

tehpriest

Reaction score
What does a "Cache partition clear" do?

Just watched a Youtube of a guy putting custom roms on Milestone with Nandroid. I thought the bootloader was signed and this was not possible?

Why on the Milestone does the "power button + menu" and "Power button + X" not bring up the menu's as they do on the Droid?

If I do a factory reset through the Power + Camera button menu will all data, apps and settings be lost? [Edit : Found the answer to this one. YES.]

Last edited:

Abe21599

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
clearing the cache will erase all personal info

ie. clearing cache of the browser will delete all user information you have stored in it

not sure about the other ones - i have a droid not quite sure whats really the difference in software

OP
tehpriest

tehpriest

Reaction score
clearing the cache will erase all personal info

ie. clearing cache of the browser will delete all user information you have stored in it

not sure about the other ones - i have a droid not quite sure whats really the difference in software

Thanks. I understand clearing the apps cache's but this is the "Cache partition" that the menu shows.

Abe21599

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
partition is just a section. what menu are you looking at?

Fraxinus

Reaction score
There are a bunch of different "caches" on the phone. I'm guessing the one that is cleared from the recovery console is the dalvik-cache. This partition sits in your phone's internal system files (/data/dalvik-cache). Dalvik is the Java virtual machine (JVM) that actually runs all your phone's applications and functions above the kernel level. It caches data in its normal operation and this cache can be wiped out. For example, upgrading from 2.0.1 to a 2.1 ROM typically requires you to wipe your cache (as well as data). I believe this is because the system build is different enough that the files Dalvik caches are no longer correct. Clearing the cache will force the JVM to rebuild the cache with the new, correct files. Not sure what impact clearing your cache has if you just wipe it without making any other changes to your phone...