(Solution) Invalid Flash Mode (S) (Boot Failure) / Bricked Bionic

spooner2007

Reaction score
I have had a problem with bricking my device a few times... So while searching for a fix I came across a person named timmy! This is not my fix but theirs!

Original Post
http://www.rootzwiki.com/topic/13485-unbrick-your-bionic-here/

READ EVERYTHING BEFORE YOU ATTEMPT THIS FIX

***We have experienced a few issues writing the system.PLEASE make sure you flash with the usb in the back usb port of your pc and remove any other usb's. It's MUCH more reliable.*****

I would also like to give a special thanks to CELLZEALOT for helping me troubleshoot the errors that have arose. His knowledge has been indispensable!!!
smile.png

How to use
Unzip "
flashme.zip" (Download File below, to unzip use winzip or winrar)
Open RSD (Download from here -
http://www.mediafire.com/?b8obqitf6nj981j)
**If you need Motorola Drivers download from here - Drivers
HTML:
http://www.motorola.com/consumers/v/index.jsp?vgnextoid=bda09ec8009a0210VgnVCM1000008806b00aRCRD&pubid=987654
Connect device after you are in "Fastboot" Mode (To get into Fastboot do the following - Press volume down, then power button)
Select "..." and find where "
default_flash_targa.xml" is located, click it
Press start
Thats it

FYI
RSD will flash everything you need automatically. It will automatically reboot into recovery to finish the radio flash, reboot the system when its done, RSD will say to manually power up device, ignore that message. Wait until it says "Pass" before you do anything with your phone. You will be prompted there is a update available. Forever root and sign into google before you accept and install. If your coming from the .901 update, after recovery flashes the 5.5.893 update, you will be throw into fastboot with a cdt.bin failure. You will have to flash the cdt.bin from the. 901 update zip. When you reboot, it will say failed. But everything will be in place. The boot and recovery image are courtesy of realbbb.

http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?2wj34xr3gloef3d

Let me know what you think, it worked first time for me!

Last edited:

themistah

Reaction score
this just saved my a** after hours of trying to get my phone working .....i was trying to RSD lite and flash FZX file but it wouldnt read TAR files......THANKS BRO! (result is still in process how long does it take to say complete its been 15 minutes phone booted up fine though)

Last edited:

csparrow55

Reaction score
Trying to unzip file with Extraction Wizard but unable to open . What program do you use to uncompress?

themistah

Reaction score
U used v7 or something like that you can also use winzip .....

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

Mbk

Android For Life
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
$29 bucks for what exactly?....seems odd to me that WinRar costs money when 7Zip can basically do everything the same

csparrow55

Reaction score
Used Winzip to extract. Worked flawlessly. Phone up and working. Thanks

OP
spooner2007

spooner2007

Reaction score
i have never paid for winrar ever! click the screen away and your off but glad this is working for everyone!

junksecret

Reaction score
What do you mean by

I don't see a file name or file type RSD.

Thanks

RSD Lite is software used by Motorola & Verizon to flash data to your phone. I could only find version 5.4 here on Droid Forums but HERE is a link to 5.6 on XDA

Camoxjeep

Reaction score
Well, been running 5.9.901 and decided to flash Deodexer from Mydriodworld (this was the Deodexer for 5.9.901 too). For some reason it did not work. It said it was erasing all system files, reinstalling and then aborted. Tried numerous times even with battery pull and I was stuck at the Moto symbol. Only thing I knew to do was use R3l3AS3DRoot tool. Well, it also failed and now I'm just stuck at the fastboot menu. Even when I turn off the phone it goes straight back to the fastboot. Any help would be appreciated. thanks

Edit #1
I've also tried to copy the update files to the sd card and reflash that way through recovery but that also fails. The message I'm getting here is:
Verifying current system...
assert failed:apply_patch_check("/system/app/AccountAndSyncSettings.apk:, "a bunch of numbers and letters"
E:Error in /tmp/sideload/package.zips
Installation aborted.

Anyone have any suggestions? thanks

Edit #2
Tried a few more times and now I think my battery wont even charge (left it on the charger all night)My light wont even come on on the bionic when plugged in. When I get into fastboot mode it says at the top:
AP Fastboot Flash Mode (S) (Flash Failure)
0A.61

Battery Low
Cannot Program
Transfer Mode:
USB Connected

Edit #3
Well, to get the battery charged I spliced open an extra USB cable and charging that way, its working so far. Just taped red wire to positive and black to negative on the battery.

Battery says its good now so I am downloading this:(Solution) Invalid Flash Mode (S) (Boot Failure) / Bricked Bionic
to go thru this workup and see how it goes. Got about 18 minutes left for download. I also downloaded RSD Lite 5.6 (never used it before so who knows LOL). Will try and follow the instructions.......this is very frustrating. But thats what I get for trying to mess around with stuff as my wife says LOL I think once I get my phone back I'm done messing around for a while. Probably not but at least I can say it to help ease my pain right now LOL
I have probably downloaded every single "fix" that I can find for the bionic. Probably wont remember which is which after today LOL Come on download.......................................... ............................HURRY UP!

Edit #4
OK, Used above link (this is the original link with my kind of instructions NOOB http://rootzwiki.com/topic/13485-unb...r-bionic-here/)
Got it to power up and am at the welcome to Droid Bionic screen WOOWHO! OK, got the phone up and running again. I did the exact same thing just a while ago and tried the R3L3AS3DRoot option #1, that was the wrong path to take so I had to rerun RSD Lite. So now I'm just going to try Option #2. But when I RSD Lite got done I had 3g signal/bar. It told me to manually power up the phone so I did and now I have no 3g bar at all. Nevermind it just showed back up LOL
So now on to Option #2, cross my fingers.

Edit #5
Ran and forever rooted again. Now am trying to run Bionic Path Saver 1-Click method and it failed saying ADB server out of date? Anyone? Thanks
P.S> It never threw me back into a fastboot with a cdt.bin failure.

Last edited:

Dave12308

Silver Member
Reaction score
For ADB errors, I usually just reboot my PC and that does the trick.

As for the flash method in the OP, this saved my Bionic the other day. It was the only method that was able to get me back into a working OS after I messed around with the newest fastboot leak and it failed at step 6.

Took me about 9 hours, but i'm back on .893 stock and I know I am back on the update path because the method in the OP puts you back to .886; and it OTA updated to .893 with no issues.

Very happy to have gone through all this now, at least I now know how to unbrick my Bionic.

Last edited:

fabdogg

Reaction score
Still stuck after fix

I need help. Ive tried this fix time and time again but i keep getting fail message. Im stuck at AP Fastboot invalid CDT-- Invalidid CG Version. Can anyone help me or is my Bionic done?

DunDun

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
"Sammy Davis" Galaxy Season 6
I need help. Ive tried this fix time and time again but i keep getting fail message. Im stuck at AP Fastboot invalid CDT-- Invalidid CG Version. Can anyone help me or is my Bionic done?

You need to give more info for people to help.

What system were you on .886, .893, .901 or a ROM?
What were you trying to do? Were you trying to get on the upgrade path, Did you upgrade to .901 then downgrade for root?
What system were you on when you were flashing with RSD lite?

Don't give up! Over the past week, almost every conceivable error msg in fastboot hell has been answered in this forum and a few others.
I was in fastboot hell yesterday because I wanted root. Gave up on root for now, but phone is working on 5.5.893!

I used rsd lite and the fxz file for 5.5.893 on the xda forums.

My advice to you is; unless you know how to charge your battery without an external charger, to turn off phone and pull battery so you don't drain it. Read up on the forums, there's a wealth of information here droidforum.net and others such as: rootwiki, mydroidworld, and xda developers. Only use battery and phone when your ready to try a fix. If it doesn't work, turn off and pull battery until your ready to try again.

Last edited: