software keys

joshxdroid

Reaction score
What is the big deal about software keys? I don't know much about the subject, but i know google wants devices to have them and a lot of manufacturers just put physical keys on. My question is why don't manufacturers like them? And why does google care either way? I don't really care either way, i guess the one advantage i can think of is they could be changed for a new OS

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
software keys means bigger screens. Take the Nexus for example, pretty much the same size as the Rezound and Razr, but due to software keys it has a bigger screen.

As to why manufacturers don't like them, don't know.

OP
J

joshxdroid

Reaction score
Actually it makes the screen smaller in most cases, while the screen measurement its actually bigger the actual display area is bigger on my RAZR than the nexus because in most applications you have those on screen keys taking up space that could be used for viewing

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Actually it makes the screen smaller in most cases, while the screen measurement its actually bigger the actual display area is bigger on my RAZR than the nexus because in most applications you have those on screen keys taking up space that could be used for viewing
True but for videos the soft keys disappear and the video expands. This only works for videos of course.

I think Google wants software keys for aesthetics. When the device screen is off, it's a nice clean black slate. Only other reason I can think of:D