1. You want that $100.00 in your pocket or an Amazon Fire TV don't you? Well here's the deal. With our new updated look we are in desperate need of an updated logo. The 'old' one has certainly served us well, but it's time. Find all the details here: bit.ly/1q0k6Wa
  2. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

software keys

Discussion in 'Android General Discussions' started by joshxdroid, Aug 5, 2012.

1. joshxdroid

joshxdroid New Member

What is the big deal about software keys? I don't know much about the subject, but i know google wants devices to have them and a lot of manufacturers just put physical keys on. My question is why don't manufacturers like them? And why does google care either way? I don't really care either way, i guess the one advantage i can think of is they could be changed for a new OS
  2. dezymond

dezymond RS Lead Premium Member

software keys means bigger screens. Take the Nexus for example, pretty much the same size as the Rezound and Razr, but due to software keys it has a bigger screen.

As to why manufacturers don't like them, don't know.
  3. joshxdroid

joshxdroid New Member

Actually it makes the screen smaller in most cases, while the screen measurement its actually bigger the actual display area is bigger on my RAZR than the nexus because in most applications you have those on screen keys taking up space that could be used for viewing
  4. dezymond

dezymond RS Lead Premium Member

True but for videos the soft keys disappear and the video expands. This only works for videos of course.

I think Google wants software keys for aesthetics. When the device screen is off, it's a nice clean black slate. Only other reason I can think of:D