so my friend says his Nexus One is superior...

JhankG

Silver Member
Reaction score
  1. Droid has a better touch sensitive screen.
    [*]Comes standard with more memory

Droid sales are also hugh where Nexus sales are weak. :icon_ banana:

Root your Droid and get the 2.1 OS and he will have nothing on you, besides having the far weaker phone. :icon_ devil:

This is false.

pyro6128

Reaction score
Yea after rooting, overclocking, and running some of these roms, I would say the only advantage I would give to the N1 is the fact that it has 512ram compared to our 256. I wouldn't mind having all that extra space for apps.

Edit, i think he meant that the N1 comes with a 4g card, whereas the droid comes with a 16. If you combine that with the internal memory on each phone the droid does in fact have way more space. However, on the phone itself, the N1 has twice the storage capacity.

Mojo

Reaction score
Its a stupid comparison to make.. (not calling anyone stupid) its like saying what is superior a Lamborghini or a Ferrari. They both are bad azz. In every way.

JhankG

Silver Member
Reaction score
Yea after rooting, overclocking, and running some of these roms, I would say the only advantage I would give to the N1 is the fact that it has 512ram compared to our 256. I wouldn't mind having all that extra space for apps.

Edit, i think he meant that the N1 comes with a 4g card, whereas the droid comes with a 16. If you combine that with the internal memory on each phone the droid does in fact have way more space. However, on the phone itself, the N1 has twice the storage capacity.

The Nexus has more RAM (which is not what dictates how many apps you can download, that is called ROM) then the Droid. The Nexus has 512mb of RAM while the Droid has 256mb of RAM.

Taken from wikianswers:

"Random Access Memory (RAM) is a form of memory that can be read without having to begin at the first address, then the second address, then the third, and so on. This is a carryover from when most memory was Serial Access, such as magnetic tape, paper tape, or punched cards. The on-board memory computers use for temporary storage is Random Access Memory, but on chips, instead of a hard disc drive.
Read Only Memory (ROM) is exactly what the name implies, it can only be read, not written to. A CD-ROM is a form of memory, as is a chip on the motherboard which is used to store instructions for the Central Processor Unit. RAM is your computer's temporary storage space. RAM is really the computer's short-term memory. As such, it remembers everything that the computer needs to process the data into information, such as data that has been entered and software instructions, but only when the computer is on. This means that RAM is an example of volatile storage. When the power is off, the data stored in RAM is cleared out. This is why, in addition to RAM, systems always include nonvolatile storage devices for permanent storage of instructions and data when the computer is powered off. Hard disks provide the greatest nonvolatile storage capacity in the computer system."

DroidxRage

Reaction score
^^ 100% correct - Random Access Memory vs Read Only Memory

Yeah, I could take a little more RAM on the Droid.... but its not crippling or anything. I hover at around 50mb free most of the time. Good and snappy. :)

pyro6128

Reaction score
I think you're splitting hairs here. The fact is that the N1 has 512mb for storing apps whereas the droid has 256, there, much clearer. However, the N1 only comes with a 4g card whereas the droid has the 16g card. So no matter how you look at it the droid comes shipped with more room for storage. Thats fact. However, the N1 is also capable of using up to a 32g card.

plaidman

Reaction score
Some of the data presented in the thread has absolutely nothing to do with the argument, as stupid as it is.

1) The sales figures have no indication of something that is a superior product, just superior marketing.
2) The included SD card doesn't affect the awesomeness of the phone, just the cost effectiveness. Nexus even costs $20 less, so you could use that to upgrade the SD card.
3) Claiming the processor gap can be closed by overclocking the Droid is dumb because the gap could be reopened by overclocking the Nexus. (just kidding)
4) GPU improvement is nice, but are there any games on the market that are unplayable on the Nexus without it?

Screen density improvement on the Droid is negligible, both back-light option have pros and cons, the internal ram limitation can be negated by rooting and running your apps from the SD card, the shape/size/weight is a preference.

I'm playing devil's advocate, BTW. I love my droid and I can't see myself switching to the Nexus. I just don't like how the Nexus looks, and the hardware keyboard was such an improvement over my iphone that I just can't see myself going back.

To the OP: tell your friend, in the immortal words of Jeffrey Lebowski, "Yeah well, that's just like, your opinion, man."

RW-1

Silver Member
Reaction score
I still liked my drop test, but details were removed.

How about just letting him live in an altered reality, like the iphone people on the planet?

Darkseider

Reaction score
Some of the data presented in the thread has absolutely nothing to do with the argument, as stupid as it is.

1) The sales figures have no indication of something that is a superior product, just superior marketing.
2) The included SD card doesn't affect the awesomeness of the phone, just the cost effectiveness. Nexus even costs $20 less, so you could use that to upgrade the SD card.
3) Claiming the processor gap can be closed by overclocking the Droid is dumb because the gap could be reopened by overclocking the Nexus.
4) GPU improvement is nice, but are there any games on the market that are unplayable on the Nexus without it?

Screen density improvement on the Droid is negligible, both back-light option have pros and cons, the internal ram limitation can be negated by rooting and running your apps from the SD card, the shape/size/weight is a preference.

I'm playing devil's advocate, BTW. I love my droid and I can't see myself switching to the Nexus. I just don't like how the Nexus looks, and the hardware keyboard was such an improvement over my iphone that I just can't see myself going back.

To the OP: tell your friend, in the immortal words of Jeffrey Lebowski, "Yeah well, that's just like, your opinion, man."

Just pointing something out but point #3 about OC'ing the Nexus still doesn't put it in the same field as an OC'ed Droid. Currently the fastest stable Droid is 1.3 Ghz and the fastest stable Nexus is 1.113 Ghz. Does it make a difference? No not really but I just thought that I would point that out. :icon_ devil:

plaidman

Reaction score
Just pointing something out but point #3 about OC'ing the Nexus still doesn't put it in the same field as an OC'ed Droid. Currently the fastest stable Droid is 1.3 Ghz and the fastest stable Nexus is 1.113 Ghz. Does it make a difference? No not really but I just thought that I would point that out. :icon_ devil:

In that case, I retract #3. I hadn't heard for sure about the Nexus' overclockability.

briankeith513

Reaction score
Brian - your forgetting the Droid has a dedicated GPU, so it should be faster on graphics intensive applications. On a CPU intensive app, stock-to-stock the N1 would win.

That being said, my Droid is running at 1.1Ghz 24/7, so that coupled with my dedicated GPU should topple any stock N1 benchmark.

LOL, not to be insulting, but c'mon, you are comparing your "Rooted, and O'C Droid" That is not even a fair comparison or one worth even bringing up. I thought the point was stock phone to stock phone. And in that case, obviously the Nexus One wins.

adrynalyne

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Depends on what you judge. I love watching all these reviews where the reviewer frantically hits the touch sensitive buttons only to find you gotta push at the top of them.

Quality control apparently wasn't factored into the cost.