New Nexus 5 Rumor Refutes LG as Maker; Back to Motorola Probability Now

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
nexus5-motorola-evleaks-tweet.png

We have been seeing a constant stream of rumors regarding the next generation of Nexus 5. These rumors keep contradicting each other, and the latest one is no exception. According to a Tweet from famed leaker @evleaks, the device shown off yesterday in the purported Nexus 5 picture leak is not the Nexus 5, but is actually just the next generation LG Optimus L9 II (although it is unlikely to be called that since LG dropped the Optimus name).

Furthermore, he refuted the last few rumors we have received, yet confirmed one of our older ones. According to him, the next Nexus 5 will indeed be a Motorola device. Of course, he has been wrong before, but it has been very rare when that occurred. Additionally, the first person to suggest that the next Nexus phone would be a Motorola device was Taylor Wimberly. He too has been extremely reliable with the intel provided, especially when it came to Motorola devices. Bot of these leakers agreeing on the same intel forms a convincing argument.

Also, as a side-note, it's intriguing to see that @evleaks even suggests that the next Nexus smartphone may not be a Nexus 5, but could simply be a Nexus 4 v2.

Here's a bit of speculation... what if Google does both? They could offer a second generation Nexus 4 with the smaller screen, and offer a Nexus 5 with a 5-inch screen to compete with the other 5-inch devices on the market. Ehh... probably not, but it would hardly be too surprising. What do you guys think, and which company would you prefer to do the next Nexus smartphone?

Source: @evleaks

jspradling7

Reaction score
I think this ping pong ball will get batted back and forth for a couple of more months. An LG G2 N5 version with an older processor than the LG G2 and released months later doesn't sound all that interesting to me. So, I'm happy to see the Moto possibility still alive and well. What WOULD be interesting is this... What if the Droid line and the Moto X are the last of what Moto had in the pipeline when Google bought them, and the first Google influenced Moto device will be a Nexus 5 released in December and will blow away the G2. Just a thought...

WestOkid

Reaction score
Even with Moto's prowess in radios and their reputation for good build quality, I would say LG. Until I see Moto make a phone with a good Camera, I want no part of Moto. I had a Razr and briefly a Razr HD, both had worse cameras than my old HTC Thunderbolt. I am on vacation right now, and most days I am comfortable just bringing my S3. When I had the Moto phones, I would need to lug a camera along to get the most basic shots. Or I would have to asked my wife to borrow her iPhone and watch her smirk. I know people on these techie sites tend to favor specs, but the fact is a decent camera on a smartphone expected not a perk.

trestevenson

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Huawei Nexus 6P
Here's a bit of speculation... what if Google does both? They could offer a second generation Nexus 4 with the smaller screen, and offer a Nexus 5 with a 5-inch screen to compete with the other 5-inch devices on the market. Ehh... probably not, but it would hardly be too surprising. What do you guys think, and which company would you prefer to do the next Nexus smartphone?

That's actually a pretty interesting idea! I don't know if Google sells enough Nexus phones to warrant two different models being released simultaneously, but I'd be more than happy with a 5-inch device from either Moto or LG. Although, I seem to remember reading somewhere that an executive or spokesman at LG stated that they're not working on a Nexus device at this time...

Hugh Jass

Reaction score
I don't want either of them, I want both in the same device. LG makes awesome hardware but come up short on sensors and radio (as does everyone else) which is Motorola's calling.

Enough dreaming though...

It wouldn't take much to please the public with just a few things IMO, including a removable healthy sized battery, great camera that has a speedy start up time, and make it compatible on Verizon's network. That for me is the trifecta. Nothing earth shattering, just put it where it counts and give it an unmistakable price. Also an attractive easy maintenance exterior is essential, cheap or not.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
Just wait until Moto starts offering customizeable hardware options with Moto Maker. Heck, by the end of the year it's even conceivable a Moto Nexus could have some choices there.

Dell did it with the PC. It's only a matter of time until someone does it with smartphones and that will be a real game-changer.

loonamark

Reaction score
There won't be a another Nexus 4 -- version 2 or whatever -- as the 5th gen Nexus will be Nexus 5 and will coincidentally have a 5.2" full HD 1080p display.

And LG is making it, based on the LG G2. It's been in the works since early this year. The Nexus 5 will be officially announced in October and actually released in November with Key Lime Pie 5.0.

jspradling7

Reaction score
You sound mighty certain. Is that a prediction or a "I work on team building it" statement?

combatmedic870

Reaction score
Just wait until Moto starts offering customizeable hardware options with Moto Maker. Heck, by the end of the year it's even conceivable a Moto Nexus could have some choices there.

Dell did it with the PC. It's only a matter of time until someone does it with smartphones and that will be a real game-changer.

Hopefully this turns out to be true. I'd love to be able to pick screen size and type, battery size, CPU, GPU, camera, SD card lot or not, internal memory, pure google or skinned. But then i guess you would say goodbye to roms, unless cyangenmod came out with a rom in which you could pick all of that before flashing.

Josefius

Reaction score
I just got this one from Google two days ago when I switched to AT&T, love it so far. Not sure about Moto, but the LG is awesome. I just don't like not being able to do a battery pull and lack of micro SD. Would like at least a 32gb version.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2