Have you tried the Nexus One?

BzB

Reaction score
My 30 day trail for my Droid ends around Feb 25th. I'm thinking about getting the Nexus One. I'm thinking about giving my Droid back, going back to my env2, until the Nexus One comes to Verizon, or a better phone overall running Android.

Thing is, I love the Droid. But if Motorola and Google are going to give us these half-assed updates, its turning my passion down. I don't want to be the GBA, when Nintendo DSis are coming out and getting better stuff, if you get the analogy.

Pete, Adam, etc... are doing far way better jobs than these developers at Google are trying to give us at the moment so it seems.

But imagine over-clocking a Nexus One... woah...
would you mind clarifying what's half-assed about this update? it's pretty extensive imo.

and regarding custom roms, they will always have more functionality/flexibility than stock. that goes for any device and it also shows the beauty of root access.

the moto droid is a flagship android device and one of the best smart phones on the market. but if you just want the newest android phone then that's a completely different complaint .

Reaction score
My 30 day trail for my Droid ends around Feb 25th. I'm thinking about getting the Nexus One. I'm thinking about giving my Droid back, going back to my env2, until the Nexus One comes to Verizon, or a better phone overall running Android.

Thing is, I love the Droid. But if Motorola and Google are going to give us these half-assed updates, its turning my passion down. I don't want to be the GBA, when Nintendo DSis are coming out and getting better stuff, if you get the analogy.

Pete, Adam, etc... are doing far way better jobs than these developers at Google are trying to give us at the moment so it seems.

would you mind clarifying what's half-assed about this update? it's pretty extensive imo.

and regarding custom roms, they will always have more functionality/flexibility than stock. that goes for any device and it also shows the beauty of root access.

the moto droid is a flagship android device and one of the best smart phones on the market. but if you just want the newest android phone then that's a completely different complaint .

No live wallpaper, no new launcher, that is on the newer android models. They should call this update 2.0.5. lol

BzB

Reaction score
No live wallpaper, no new launcher, that is on the newer android models. They should call this update 2.0.5. lol

imo that hardly qualifies as a half-assed update to be honest. those aren't even core applications or core functionality of the os. and if you really want it, there's always root access to get it.

that said, i've spent a few minutes with an associate's nexus one and it is a nice phone. i felt it was very similar to the droid in terms of response, but that was before i oc'd my droid. :) of course those guys are oc'ing now as well...

what gives me pause about the nexus one though is i personally don't like the idea of trackballs, coming from blackberry phones that have a history of their trackballs getting all cruddy and failing. the sales and support model for the nexus one also leaves a lot to be desired. and believe it or not the moto hardware has a higher quality feel to it, but all of that is subjective.

unless you're really attached to the physical controls of the droid, the nexus one is a nice alternative once it's available on verizon. even though i could switch when it comes to verizon, i won't because there's just no real incentive to imo.

M

Matth3w

As I said before...not a huge deal. The Nexus One a) doesn't really have many more options than the Droid, and b) is bottlenecked by a bunch of RAM. You can have a Cray Supercomputer with 256MB of RAM and it's still going to suck.

thesandman51

Reaction score
While we're overclocking to 1GHz or 1.1GHz their overclocking their Nexus Ones to 1.7GHz if that tells you anything!!!

Holy balls, are they really going that fast?

And here I was gonna chime in with my "well my phone runs at 1ghz too lololol" but damn, that's crazy.

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb
As I said before...not a huge deal. The Nexus One a) doesn't really have many more options than the Droid, and b) is bottlenecked by a bunch of RAM. You can have a Cray Supercomputer with 256MB of RAM and it's still going to suck.

How so?............

M

Matth3w

Let's assume you can overclock it to 2 gigs. Would you buy a computer with 2ghz processor and 512mb of ram?

I'm not saying it's a slow piece of ****, but I think it's pretty fast, stock. I don't really see how anything currently on the market would use all that processing power and yet only use 512mb of ram (a lot less once you factor in all the constantly running apps and OS)....maybe one day...but by then, the phone will be outdated. The iPhone has much worse specs than the N1, and yet has many more games available. And all the games out there now will run at 550mhz and 256mb of ram pretty well...so overclocking the N1 to something even as high as 2gHz imo is not going to be very worthwhile.

This isn't a technical opinion, it's just my opinion...which might be wrong or mean nothing.

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb
I see what your thinking....