Droid now, or wait for Nexus One - Need fast decision to be made.

phreek

Reaction score
Personally, I would wait for the Nexus One to get to Verizon and try it out. Or, go to a T-Mobile store and try one out now. I love the Droid, but IMO, the hard keyboard is completely useless and the camera is awful. So for me, the Nexus One would probably be a better choice. Not sure if you're in the same boat.

Aren't they only purchasable online?

Yes they are, hopefully you know someone who has one. Verizon will not be carrying it.

Verizon is carrying it as of March 23rd, according to multiple news articles I've read.

unix.punkx

Silver Member
Reaction score

Yes they are, hopefully you know someone who has one. Verizon will not be carrying it.

Verizon is carrying it as of March 23rd, according to multiple news articles I've read.

No Carrier physically carries the Nexus One. The whole point of selling it is through a new experience, via Google's Website. It is being added to Verizon as a carrier. It will not be sold at a Verizon or T-Mobile store.

OP
M

maseren

Reaction score
horsepower i figured can be mitigated by OCing it some. I'll definitely be doing that. From all these replies, it looks like its a matter of whether i want to pay 200 dollars for the Droid or stick with my Storm 1, which i'm not or at this point. I like actually having APPS to download and have fun with, otherwise, my S1 on its current more expensive plan is a normal phone.

jsh1120

Silver Member
Reaction score
It should be noted that the claim that the Nexus will be available on the Verizon network on March 23 or even "soon" is purely a rumor. The fact that it has been repeated endlessly by various blogs doesn't make it any more reliable.

The only "hard" information (such as it is) is that the Nexus will be available on Verizon "in the spring." And the last I checked, that could mean late June.

Bostonsfavson

Reaction score
Personally, I would wait for the Nexus One to get to Verizon and try it out. Or, go to a T-Mobile store and try one out now. I love the Droid, but IMO, the hard keyboard is completely useless and the camera is awful. So for me, the Nexus One would probably be a better choice. Not sure if you're in the same boat.

Forgot about that detail :) It would be nice if they at least had demo units you could play with in the stores.

EbE404

Reaction score
I guess two other points potentially worth considering.

Support-should something go wrong or if you have a question, the Droid seems to provide a much cleaner set of contact and support options. As was widely reported after the N1 launch, folks looking for support had to jump through endless hoops to get essentially nowhere. The simple fact that you can call Verizon as a "one stop support shop" for the hardware and service is significant. Not sure what the situation with the N1 on Verizon will be, or how long it's going to take Google to get up to speed (they have implemented some minor improvements, but there are still issues). Something to consider, anyway.

Another interesting issue is that the Droid actually outperforms the N1 with multitouch-see this link for details:

Is multitouch broken on the Nexus One? Sort of… – Android and Me

Make note of the official Google comment at the bottom of the post. When asked about the multitouch problems (which can be seen in a video linked on that page), the Google representative says:

"...this is how the touch screen hardware on the Nexus One works (which is essentially the same screen as on the G1 and myTouch). The Droid has a sensor from a different manufacturer, with different behavior. Other phones will likewise have different sensors.”

Now, we still have to wait for multitouch to actually show up on the Droid, but it's interesting that the technology and hardware is better there.