So, definitely new with this.

Raeuber

Reaction score
Anyone get a chance to review this?

I've never done it myself but the Droid does have exchange support built in nicley from what i hear. To set it up you simply go to settings -> accounts & sync -> add account -> corporate

That's definitely good - thanks bud. Anything else?

If your exchange server supports webmail, then you can use the native email app on the droid, or you can use "Touchdown" as a poster has mentioned earlier. Not sure if touchdown works without webmail.

Last edited:

jsh1120

Silver Member
Reaction score
I found the perfect task killer on this thread. http://www.droidforums.net/forum/ap...task-killer-people-who-hate-task-killers.html I have played around with this app for a day and can say its what a task killer should be. I used two different app killers before this one and they never really solved anything, they feel like a placebo. But this app actually tells you how much cpu and memory an app is using so you can actually kill a real rogue app and not one that just opens cause of the system, much like amazon mp3 or other random apps. If you must have a task/app killer this is the one to get.

If people are going to use anything, I'd say get Astro. It is actually useful for viewing, eidting, etc files on your SD card, and has a built in process manager/task killer. It tells you whether the app is in service, waiting in the background, not currently running, etc and gives you the %CPU use as well as Memory use for each app. And has all the same bells and whistles (kill, ignore, etc) as others. If you insist on using some type of task killer, at least get one that gives a full picture AND multitasks as something more useful. Just my $.02

You're right, of course, that there is considerable overlap between the system panel app and the features of Astro. Have to say, though, that the System Panel app provides a very nice overview of processes and overall cpu use. For someone who finds task killers a waste of time, it's a very nice window into the operations of the Droid.

christim

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score

rjax

Reaction score
These are a few apps that aren't necessarily flashy, but provide functionality that in many cases I'm surprised is not standard in the Android OS, or provide much improvement over stock Android apps

Dialer One -- a much more flexible dialer, make sure to go into settings to find a setup you like

NotCallLog -- takes you anywhere but the call log after a call, like the home screen

Handcent SMS -- so many more options than stock, including messaging to groups

xScope -- much better web browser

Astro -- file manager that lets you create shortcuts to files/folders on your homescreens

Profiles/Quick Profiles/Setting Profiles/Quick Settings -- or some other way to easily control all the different volumes, screen brightness, etc. Also, make sure to add the stock power control widget to your homescreen

Ring Guard -- Prevents your ringer volume from accidentally changing

myLock -- Lets you skip doing the whole slide-to-unlock thing

Swype/HTC Keyboard -- These keyboards aren't in the Market -- search the forums or Droid-Life for the .apk files that you can install using Astro

Apps Organizer/Folder Organizer (paid version of Apps Organizer) -- Create shortcuts on your home screen to groups of apps and you'll never have to go in the App Drawer again.

Home++/Helix Launcher -- Slightly more advanced, but both let you add more than three home screens, and give you a "dock" that's constant across all home screens

jsh1120

Silver Member
Reaction score
Apps Organizer/Folder Organizer (paid version of Apps Organizer) -- Create shortcuts on your home screen to groups of apps and you'll never have to go in the App Drawer again.

Home++/Helix Launcher -- Slightly more advanced, but both let you add more than three home screens, and give you a "dock" that's constant across all home screens

Good list. I'd add that "Folder Organizer" provides additional functionality in terms of creating shortcuts (with a user selected icon) for groups of bookmarks and contacts as well as apps. It also supports hierarchical groupings, i.e. shortcuts within shortcuts.

Should also note that GDE supports up to 7 home screens and enables you to scroll in one direction to access all screens. i.e. 360 degree rotation of home screens.

OP
B

bigcurt

Reaction score
These are a few apps that aren't necessarily flashy, but provide functionality that in many cases I'm surprised is not standard in the Android OS, or provide much improvement over stock Android apps

Dialer One -- a much more flexible dialer, make sure to go into settings to find a setup you like

NotCallLog -- takes you anywhere but the call log after a call, like the home screen

Handcent SMS -- so many more options than stock, including messaging to groups

xScope -- much better web browser

Astro -- file manager that lets you create shortcuts to files/folders on your homescreens

Profiles/Quick Profiles/Setting Profiles/Quick Settings -- or some other way to easily control all the different volumes, screen brightness, etc. Also, make sure to add the stock power control widget to your homescreen

Ring Guard -- Prevents your ringer volume from accidentally changing

myLock -- Lets you skip doing the whole slide-to-unlock thing

Swype/HTC Keyboard -- These keyboards aren't in the Market -- search the forums or Droid-Life for the .apk files that you can install using Astro

Thanks a ton guys..all of this almost sounds too good to be true :p.

OP
B

bigcurt

Reaction score
Hi everyone! Got my droid today! Lovin' it so far.

I have a few questions though:

1. What is the best body glove/case/something to buy? I purchased the clear snap-on from Verizon and I don't like it..seems VERY, VERY hard to get off. Any suggestions?