So, definitely new with this.

bigcurt

Reaction score
Hi everyone!

Not sure if I am posting this in the right place, and I apologize if I am not. I just purchased my droid, haven't even received it in the mail yet. However, I was just wondering what are a few first-thing suggestions you guys have for me? Any cool apps I just must get kind of thing? I am new to both Verizon and Droid so any suggestions at all would help me a ton.

Thanks!

NullifiedKnight

Reaction score
Welcome to the Verizon, Droid, and DroidForums families, Curt! Once you get your phone activated and google account set up, you can start making your phone your phone. You can import contacts from facebook using contact sync, or from a micro SD card from a previous phone.

Apps come in all shapes, sizes, and prices. Browse the App Store, and see what catches your eye. One I'd recommend off the bat is Advanced Task Killer (or Advanced Task Cleaner Pro if you're more comfortable with it). Those apps will help you control what's running and when, and save battery life.

As for must have apps too cool to pass up, Pandora is one that might be of interest to you. Top notch music player, with highly customizable stations. Touiteur is a great Twitter client, one I'd recommend if you do use Twitter. If you plan to use it as an alarm clock, DockRunner is a free simulation app that lets you use the dock mode without buying a $50 and up dock. For ringtone customization, Ringdroid can't be beat. Lets you take any MP3 you have, and make it a ringtone, notification tone, or alarm.

Enjoy your droid, and let us know how you like it!

ShowTime

Reaction score
Apps come in all shapes, sizes, and prices. Browse the App Store, and see what catches your eye. One I'd recommend off the bat is Advanced Task Killer (or Advanced Task Cleaner Pro if you're more comfortable with it). Those apps will help you control what's running and when, and save battery life.

Do not bother with any type of task killer. Outside of their marginal use in occasionally killing off a rogue running app, they are completely unnecessary. And for many people, they cause more harm than good.

NullifiedKnight

Reaction score

Do not bother with any type of task killer. Outside of their marginal use in occasionally killing off a rogue running app, they are completely unnecessary. And for many people, they cause more harm than good.

Well, to each his (or her) own. Personally, I find it helpful. Some people don't.

ShowTime

Reaction score

Well, to each his (or her) own. Personally, I find it helpful. Some people don't.

I would never try to tell you that you don't find them helpful. But personally, I think it's a placebo effect 98% of the time. There's no substantial, empirical evidence that they help anything. But, even if it's a placebo effect, if it makes you feel better then go for it. If taking a sugar pill cures some ailment for you, then by all means keep taking it.

and I'm not meaning for this to sound sarcastic of condescending, just in case it comes off that way. If it's working for you, then stick with it. I just don't think there's a real need for one or a need to install one if you aren't already using and accustomed to one.

OP
B

bigcurt

Reaction score
I am definitely new to a lot of the smartphone jargon. However, I am fairly good with computers and keep up with a lot of this stuff. I actually just got off Alltel in my area thank God; and giving VZW a shot for the very first time. Checking out a few droid blogs; so much cool stuff you can do that is for sure :).

I am a big music lover; and I also love being able to customize..the ringtone thing will be amazing considering you couldn't do that at all on Alltel; they locked their phones like crazy.

mjs31

Reaction score
Agreed...stay away from the task killers.
Screebl
Xscope (paid version)
Handcent
K-9
Touchdown (if you use exchange email)
Any type of tone picker app that lets you use your songs as ringtones or alerts.

Any specialties let us know....this is my generic must have list.

VideoGameMatt

Reaction score
I found the perfect task killer on this thread. http://www.droidforums.net/forum/app-announcements/26670-systempanel-task-killer-people-who-hate-task-killers.html I have played around with this app for a day and can say its what a task killer should be. I used two different app killers before this one and they never really solved anything, they feel like a placebo. But this app actually tells you how much cpu and memory an app is using so you can actually kill a real rogue app and not one that just opens cause of the system, much like amazon mp3 or other random apps. If you must have a task/app killer this is the one to get.

OP
B

bigcurt

Reaction score
Thanks guys. I connect to a Microsoft Exchange server for my e-mail at work. Is there a way to get that on my phone?

Thanks,
Curt

ShowTime

Reaction score
I found the perfect task killer on this thread. http://www.droidforums.net/forum/ap...task-killer-people-who-hate-task-killers.html I have played around with this app for a day and can say its what a task killer should be. I used two different app killers before this one and they never really solved anything, they feel like a placebo. But this app actually tells you how much cpu and memory an app is using so you can actually kill a real rogue app and not one that just opens cause of the system, much like amazon mp3 or other random apps. If you must have a task/app killer this is the one to get.

If people are going to use anything, I'd say get Astro. It is actually useful for viewing, eidting, etc files on your SD card, and has a built in process manager/task killer. It tells you whether the app is in service, waiting in the background, not currently running, etc and gives you the %CPU use as well as Memory use for each app. And has all the same bells and whistles (kill, ignore, etc) as others. If you insist on using some type of task killer, at least get one that gives a full picture AND multitasks as something more useful. Just my $.02

cabotcat

Reaction score
Hey Bigcurt welcome. Where do I start? I am fairly new at this as well but have learned so much. If you text frequently there is the Moto Phone Portal app that lets you text from any computer. Additionally I transfer music, movies, pictures podcast, e-books etc with the Web sharing app. I listen to music with Droid Live Lite, Pandora, Last FM, iHeart Radio and Flycast. Was able to cancel XM as a result.

Best first recommendation? Astro file manager and back up you settings once you get all your contacts and personal info and favorite apps on board.

Play with it for a bit and jump back on this forum and ask away. You will find an open arms reception and an amazing amount of information. These folks are first rate.

Welcome to our obsession.

OP
B

bigcurt

Reaction score
Thanks guys. I connect to a Microsoft Exchange server for my e-mail at work. Is there a way to get that on my phone?

Thanks,
Curt

Anyone get a chance to review this?

VideoGameMatt

Reaction score

Thanks,
Curt

I've never done it myself but the Droid does have exchange support built in nicley from what i hear. To set it up you simply go to settings -> accounts & sync -> add account -> corporate

OP
B

bigcurt

Reaction score

Thanks,
Curt

I've never done it myself but the Droid does have exchange support built in nicley from what i hear. To set it up you simply go to settings -> accounts & sync -> add account -> corporate

That's definitely good - thanks bud. Anything else?