Snapdragon battery guru

hayn

Reaction score
Has anyone tried this app? And does it really work?

rudywilliams

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto G 4 Plus
Snapdragon is for the Qualcom processor.

I have had the Battery Guru since it was in Beta on my S3. I turned off the WiFi management since I am home most of the time. It works fine, but look in the App store to find out if it is compatible with your phone. My old Droid X does not have a Snapdragon processor and can't use it.

OP
H

hayn

Reaction score
I have had the Battery Guru since it was in Beta on my S3. I turned off the WiFi management since I am home most of the time. It works fine, but look in the App store to find out if it is compatible with your phone. My old Droid X does not have a Snapdragon processor and can't use it.

But dies it actually save battery?

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
But dies it actually save battery?
I'm always skeptical about these "battery saving apps" and how much battery they really save. You have to remember that the app itself has to run in the background to function properly and to send the right signals when to turn "this off" or "that on", and so on.

It is from my experience that I don't think these types of apps work. I've tried many and most notably Tasker and JuiceDefender, where I got less than impressive results from either. Maybe they do save battery, but it's at such a minimal loss that I barely noticed after running each app for 2 weeks.

To me there is really only one way to save battery, well 2; manually turn everything off yourself or use manufacturers' battery saver (such as on my s4). Manually turning things off means they're off and nothing else is monitoring them causing battery drain, even if it is just "sipping" the battery. Manufacturer battery savers, such as Power Mode on the s4, block off the top speeds of the processor (basically underclocking), change screen settings (white background turns to blue in browser), and I believe the last one is haptic feedback which gets turned off. These 3 things seem like minimal changes, but they play a huge factor in preserving battery life.

As for my personal habits, when I go to sleep I turn off wifi, data, auto anything, and more recently all the s4 features to conserve. I've noticed anywhere from 8%-15% battery life saved overnight vs when I leave them on. For myself, that's a significant difference and it's easy to do, for others it would be cumbersome. The only reason I don't completely turn off my phone is because I like to leave it on just in case of emergencies.

These battery saving apps for me, didn't show the results I expected, and maybe that's because I'm not as heavy of a user as I thought I was compared to others. I've heard great results from others among this board, but from my personal experience and for my use, they were ineffective and mostly interfered especially if I was using my phone late at night when things are supposed to be off. Try it out, it may work for you, if not, then I hope my tips helped.

Just my .02

Last edited:
OP
H

hayn

Reaction score
I'm always skeptical about these "battery saving apps" and how much battery they really save. You have to remember that the app itself has to run in the background to function properly and to send the right signals when to turn "this off" or "that on", and so on.

It is from my experience that I don't think these types of apps work. I've tried many and most notably Tasker and JuiceDefender, where I got less than impressive results from either. Maybe they do save battery, but it's at such a minimal loss that I barely noticed after running each app for 2 weeks.

To me there is really only one way to save battery, well 2; manually turn everything off yourself or use manufacturers' battery saver (such as on my s4). Manually turning things off means they're off and nothing else is monitoring them causing battery drain, even if it is just "sipping" the battery. Manufacturer battery savers, such as Power Mode on the s4, block off the top speeds of the processor (basically underclocking), change screen settings (white background turns to blue in browser), and I believe the last one is haptic feedback which gets turned off. These 3 things seem like minimal changes, but they play a huge factor in preserving battery life.

As for my personal habits, when I go to sleep I turn off wifi, data, auto anything, and more recently all the s4 features to conserve. I've noticed anywhere from 8%-15% battery life saved overnight vs when I leave them on. For myself, that's a significant difference and it's easy to do, for others it would be cumbersome. The only reason I don't completely turn off my phone is because I like to leave it on just in case of emergencies.

These battery saving apps for me, didn't show the results I expected, and maybe that's because I'm not as heavy of a user as I thought I was compared to others. I've heard great results from others among this board, but from my personal experience and for my use, they were ineffective and mostly interfered especially if I was using my phone late at night when things are supposed to be off. Try it out, it may work for you, if not, then I hope my tips helped.

Just my .02

Thanks for the tips

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Here's an app that I think would help better if you are rooted. Check out "Greenify" if you are, it's a very interesting app and in theory should preserve more battery life.

rudywilliams

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto G 4 Plus
Yes. On a normal day I use Pandora a little over an hour wirh BluTooth. Unless I do a lot of internet stuff or Navagation w/o charger I get about 35% left at night. I have a backup battery, but haven't had to use it. (;

Before I often had to put the phone on the charger. Now, I seldom do.

Last edited:

leeshor

Gold Member
Reaction score
I have Battery Guru installed and personally think it's probably extending my battery by at least 20%. You have a lot of control over it and it does a great job of learning how you use the phone to determine the best settings. But as has been mentioned, there are other ways I have also used to save battery. The short of it is that my phone doesn't do much of anything unless I ask it to.

Last edited:

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Just for the heck of it, I installed BatteryGuru since it seems to work a little bit differently than other battery saving apps I've tried. I figure it doesn't interfere nearly as much expect for the wifi scanning (which I have yet to encounter as it's in learning mode for the next 72hrs), but it seems less intrusive than others.

I'm also running Greenify and hopefully I don't see any conflict between the two. I'll report back in the next few days if I decide to stick with the app. I'm also determined to let it run for at least 2 weeks like I did with the other apps.

DoubleTapp89

Reaction score
I've had BatteryGuru for a little over a month. And I couldn't tell a difference. But everyone uses their phone differently.

bweN diorD

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
G2
Just for the heck of it, I installed BatteryGuru since it seems to work a little bit differently than other battery saving apps I've tried. I figure it doesn't interfere nearly as much expect for the wifi scanning (which I have yet to encounter as it's in learning mode for the next 72hrs), but it seems less intrusive than others.

I'm also running Greenify and hopefully I don't see any conflict between the two. I'll report back in the next few days if I decide to stick with the app. I'm also determined to let it run for at least 2 weeks like I did with the other apps.

hope im not hijacking this thread too bad but, do you know anything about the paid version of greenify and Xposed framework?
just wondering if you have any opinions and/or tips about it. (sorry about the font, copy and paste)

Thanks

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
hope im not hijacking this thread too bad but, do you know anything about the paid version of greenify and Xposed framework?
just wondering if you have any opinions and/or tips about it. (sorry about the font, copy and paste)

Thanks
Nope. Running the free version of it for now and I have no idea how it would work with Xposed framework. Sorry.

bweN diorD

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
G2
Nope. Running the free version of it for now and I have no idea how it would work with Xposed framework. Sorry.

ok thanks anyways, if im reading correctly, you have to install EF for it to work right. i think im going to give EF a whirl first. :)

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
ok thanks anyways, if im reading correctly, you have to install EF for it to work right. i think im going to give EF a whirl first. :)

Don't recall now all I did was go to the market and grab greenify.

So far I haven't noticed any battery life improvement but it does work like it's supposed to and hibernates apps. No negative effects on performance either on both my s4 and nexus 7

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Dalvik_Cache

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
I used it for a while, maybe four weeks, and uninstalled it because it was annoying the crap out of me. I didn't like how it tried to managed my phone incorrectly. For example, I never use wi-fi. I am on LTE 100% of the time, and I like it that way. It kept turning my wifi back on when I got in range of a hotspot, even if I didn't want it to. I didn't see a difference, but I also realized I don't want an app trying to guess how I use my phone. lol

Has anyone tried this app? And does it really work?