Smart Unlock Takes Away LockScreen On Trusted WiFi Networks

DroidModderX

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score

A new feature built into Lollipop allows for Android to disable the lockscreen when in the presence of "trusted" devices like a smartwatch. The theory is, if the smartwatch is on your wrist and the phone is in range of the watch, you must be the one holding the watch. This means that you have one less step to access your homescreen without jeopardizing your privacy. You can also use your wifi as a "trusted device" which is super convenient because if you are at home with the family what do you really need a lockscreen for anyhow.

The only problem is that this feature is can only be found in Lollipop. If you want the same feature for your JellyBean or KitKat device developer "hazex" has just released his Smart Unlock app. This app pretty much gives you the same "trusted devices" functionality that is found in Lollipop, but for older devices. Head to the link below for the download.

Via Play Store

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
Slight correction to the above... The Trusted Devices feature has been on my Droid Maxx running KitKat for quite some time, is also on my new Droid Turbo still running KitKat and likely also on the first and now second generations of the Moto X and possibly other Motorola phones. I believe that it was developed for Motorola phones and incorporated into Lollipop for the rest of the world.

From the Maxx instructions;

8054cfcb13133d0130134ed5c2591278.jpg

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
The Moto X has Trusted Device functionality built in as well (just not the WiFi part...yet). It's an awesome feature (IMO) that I set up on my Maxx & X on the first day. It's good to see someone develop an app that can add this functionality to other phone models!

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
I'm holding my breath that I'll have lollipop on my Note 4 in the next few months, but it's good to know that this app exists if that turns out to not happen.

Now that I'm rocking android wear, it'd be wonderful to not have to input my PIN while I'm using the phone, but know that it's protected from prying eyes, should I leave it somewhere. Although, the watch also alerts me when I've been disconnected from my phone, so chances are, I won't be forgetting it while I'm wearing the watch.

Still a nice feature and I'm glad to see it being spread out to more devices, whether officially or not.

pduffer

Reaction score
I just went to the Play store to download the app mentioned above and learned it isn't compatible with the Note 4.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
I just went to the Play store to download the app mentioned above and learned it isn't compatible with the Note 4.
Bummer.... Hopefully it will be modified to work with your device soon too.

masta11

Reaction score
Turns out this is not compatible with ANY Samsung galaxy devices...Lame!

v3thabest

Reaction score
As far as o know it works on any device ACTUALLY RUNNING android 5.0...anything less and I don't believe its compatible

Jomaba4308

Reaction score
Strange-at first the worked flawless but started having an issue where it still allowed android security to work even when connected to my home Wi-Fi. So I sent an email to the developer and now it's working again.