Smart actions wifi question

Bang Pow Boom

Reaction score
I am using smart actions, but the wifi kills my battery when I am not connected. But if I turn off wifi, then the smart actions for certain locations won't work. Is there a way around this?

jeff70

Reaction score
I have found that using Verizon WiFi Auto-On in combination with Smart Actions has solved any issues for me with having to manage WiFi on/off, when I am at a specific location WiFi is automatically turned on and when I leave that location WiFi is automatically turned off with no input from me

Sydman

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
You have to have Verizon Location Services enabled for that though don't you?

OP
Bang Pow Boom

Bang Pow Boom

Reaction score
I don't need wifi on at all. I don't have it at my home and won't have it at the office for a few months. I will look into it. Thanks

Trash Can

Reaction score
I have found that using Verizon WiFi Auto-On in combination with Smart Actions has solved any issues for me with having to manage WiFi on/off, when I am at a specific location WiFi is automatically turned on and when I leave that location WiFi is automatically turned off with no input from me

For those not familiar with Verizon WiFi Auto-On, this app is supposed to check your location every 15 minutes to determine whether WiFi should be on or off. In other words, it may take up to 15 minutes to get the desired action. My experience is that it's pretty good about turning WiFi on, but sometimes it will take what seems like forever to turn it off (way more than the 'advertised' 15 minutes).

thaDroidz

Silver Member
Reaction score
Trash Can said:
For those not familiar with Verizon WiFi Auto-On, this app is supposed to check your location every 15 minutes to determine whether WiFi should be on or off. In other words, it may take up to 15 minutes to get the desired action. My experience is that it's pretty good about turning WiFi on, but sometimes it will take what seems like forever to turn it off (way more than the 'advertised' 15 minutes).

Occasionally, if I get antsy I will just open then close the app and it appears to "jump start" the wifi on.. most times my Wi-Fi is on and connected before I open my car door at the house..

----posted MAXXED OUT WITH dessert----

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
I don't need wifi on at all. I don't have it at my home and won't have it at the office for a few months. I will look into it. Thanks

Right, but as you mentioned without WIFI on the location based SAs don't work. So even if you don't have WIFI in certain locations, but want a Smart Action to work based on that location, you can run Verizon WiFi Auto-On, set it to activate WIFI in the locations where you need location based Smart Actions to work, and then it will essentially enable Smart Actions to perform the desired function. When you leave that area, Smart Actions will reverse the process, then almost immediately thereafter Verizon WiFi Auto-On will shut WIFI off and you have the best of both worlds!

Good luck with this. It has worked beautifully for me! :biggrin: