Smart Actions Conflicts?

theblackabbot

Reaction score
Can Smart Actions cancel themselves out? For example, on mine, I have Battery Extender set to stop cellular data when the screen is off and what not, but it is supposed to trigger during Work, where cellular data is enabled. This seems to be a conflict to me. And if I say for Work to disable cellular data, it is off.

Can someone please advise me? Thanks!

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
I am confused by your explanation, however you can create conflicts that will essentially either cancel each other out, or will activate the first in line and ignore the 2nd. Perhaps if you can post the Smart Actions you have set as follows:

Trigger: Screen Off
Action: Background Data Off

Trigger: Location Work
Action: Ringer Silent

This way we can understand both the triggers and the actions and will better be able to resolve conflicts for you and also better understand what you are trying to accomplish. ;)

garywojdan81

Reaction score
I've run into a similar situation with battery extender and sleep profiles. Both had the motion detector as a trigger and it seemed that there was a conflict over which was a priority. Simple solution was to remove motion from the sleep profile & only leave time as the trigger for it.
Look for identical triggers in your profiles & start tweaking there.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2 Beta-4

OP
theblackabbot

theblackabbot

Reaction score
I am confused by your explanation, however you can create conflicts that will essentially either cancel each other out, or will activate the first in line and ignore the 2nd. Perhaps if you can post the Smart Actions you have set as follows:

Trigger: Screen Off
Action: Background Data Off

Trigger: Location Work
Action: Ringer Silent

This way we can understand both the triggers and the actions and will better be able to resolve conflicts for you and also better understand what you are trying to accomplish. ;)

Ok. Here is what I have for ALL of my Smart Actions. Please look at this and see what you can improve upon.

Work
Trigger
Timeframe Monday and Tuesday, 11:30am - 8:00pm, Wednesday thru Friday, 8:00am - 5:00pm

Actions
Ringer Volume 0%
Cellular Data Enable
Background Sync Off

Battery Extender
Trigger
Display Off
Charging - Not Charging
Motion Detector No Movement
Headphones Plugged In

Actions
GPS Off
Background Sync Off
Cellular Data Disable

Home
Triggers
Time Frame
Evening Wednesday thru Friday 5:00pm - 11:00pm, Monday and Tuesday 8:00pm - 11:00pm
Weekend - Saturday and Sunday, 8:00am - 11:00pm
Motion Detector No Movement

Actions
Ringer Volume 46% and Vibrate
Ringtone Standard
Cellular Data Enable

Meeting
Triggers
Calendar Events - All Calendars

Actions
Ringer Volume - Set Ringer to Vibrate

Sleep
Triggers
Timeframe - Night - Everyday 11:00pm - 7:00am
Motion Detector Not Moving

Actions
Ringer Volume SilentVIP Caller Mode

OP
theblackabbot

theblackabbot

Reaction score
It seems to me that they way I have this set up, there is a conflict in the Work and Battery Extender. Work says Cellular Data Enable and Battery Extender says Cellular Data Disable.

What I really need is the Cellular Data to be disabled when the screen is off, regardless of time, as it seem that Cellular Data Enabled is what pulls the battery down fastest. It can run when the screen is it is on.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
It seems to me that they way I have this set up, there is a conflict in the Work and Battery Extender. Work says Cellular Data Enable and Battery Extender says Cellular Data Disable.

What I really need is the Cellular Data to be disabled when the screen is off, regardless of time, as it seem that Cellular Data Enabled is what pulls the battery down fastest. It can run when the screen is it is on.

Ok, so yes, you definitely have an overlap, where if it is during the hours you have specified at work, your Work SA will turn Cellular Data Enabled, however the moment your screen shuts down, the Battery Extender will reverse this. The simple solution is to allow the screen to dictate the Cellular Data state and delete it from the Work SA. If you're at work and the screen is off, Cellular Data will be off, and when you pick up the phone and wake it up to use it, it will be on.

OP
theblackabbot

theblackabbot

Reaction score
Ok, so yes, you definitely have an overlap, where if it is during the hours you have specified at work, your Work SA will turn Cellular Data Enabled, however the moment your screen shuts down, the Battery Extender will reverse this. The simple solution is to allow the screen to dictate the Cellular Data state and delete it from the Work SA. If you're at work and the screen is off, Cellular Data will be off, and when you pick up the phone and wake it up to use it, it will be on.

Thanks for taking the time to look at this. I am not sure if the Smart Actions are even working right because when I leave my screen off for a bit, and then look at Battery Extender, it says that I has not been active since yesterday. Who knows.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Thanks for taking the time to look at this. I am not sure if the Smart Actions are even working right because when I leave my screen off for a bit, and then look at Battery Extender, it says that I has not been active since yesterday. Who knows.

Often times I have found that when I seem to have SAs not working properly I create new ones with the same parameters and once I've confirmed the new ones are working, I delete the old ones. It may be a cache thing, I don't know, but it may help to go to the Applications, Manage from within the Menu, Settings section and scroll down to Smart Actions and clear the cache. This may restore the correct functions.

Good Luck!

;)

OP
theblackabbot

theblackabbot

Reaction score
I actually went in and deleted all the actions and just started over making new ones, with more simple triggers and actions.

Works fine now.

Thanks again for all your help!

Smart_Actions

Motorola Expert
Premium Member
Reaction score
Glad to hear your issue was resolved. The cache does get munged up from time to time (must be an Android framework thing). Like you mentioned clearing the cache or rebuilding the rules typically fixes the problem.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Often times I have found that when I seem to have SAs not working properly I create new ones with the same parameters and once I've confirmed the new ones are working, I delete the old ones. It may be a cache thing, I don't know, but it may help to go to the Applications, Manage from within the Menu, Settings section and scroll down to Smart Actions and clear the cache. This may restore the correct functions.

Good Luck!

;)

Glad to hear your issue was resolved. The cache does get munged up from time to time (must be an Android framework thing). Like you mentioned clearing the cache or rebuilding the rules typically fixes the problem.

Nothing like the expert to confirm my suspicions!! Thanks! :biggrin: