Smart Action/Battery Tips

mkuhn1020

Reaction score
Always trying to get more battery. The only smart action i currently have on my razr is when my home wifi or campus wifi is detected, data is disabled.

What else are people using that has produced beneficial results on the battery? I have been thinking about setting up time frames (ie 1215-3, 315-6, 615-9 etc) and having these timeframes be triggers (along with display off) to shut off the data. essentially allowing my data to be on only 15 min every few hours to sync. have people tried this with success? just unsure how quickly the data will be able to turn back on and sync stuff and if this really makes a difference.

Thanks for any input!

ddfuji

Reaction score
Always trying to get more battery. The only smart action i currently have on my razr is when my home wifi or campus wifi is detected, data is disabled.

What else are people using that has produced beneficial results on the battery? I have been thinking about setting up time frames (ie 1215-3, 315-6, 615-9 etc) and having these timeframes be triggers (along with display off) to shut off the data. essentially allowing my data to be on only 15 min every few hours to sync. have people tried this with success? just unsure how quickly the data will be able to turn back on and sync stuff and if this really makes a difference.

Thanks for any input!

use task manager to auto end applications. so if your screen is off you dont have crap running in the backround, along with that i also use smart actions. and i turned down my screen to its lowest setting. some people dont like that, so you could try auto brightness. having the screen on the lowest setting takes time to get use to to but its not that bad.
i also keep my 4g, gps off most of the day, and backround sync when i dont need my emails and facebook and stupid stuff.

with my smart actions i use a night time saver using a time frame starting at about 9, cause thats when my battery starts getting really low. turns off backround sync, gps, limits to 3g, turns screen brightness all the way down, and makes time out 30 seconds.

i have not tired the data every hour. it sounds like a good idea though. maybe i will check it out. but i could see it causing conflicts when i actually need data...

dogman356

Reaction score
Wi Fi or 4G

use task manager to auto end applications. so if your screen is off you dont have crap running in the backround, along with that i also use smart actions. and i turned down my screen to its lowest setting. some people dont like that, so you could try auto brightness. having the screen on the lowest setting takes time to get use to to but its not that bad.
i also keep my 4g, gps off most of the day, and backround sync when i dont need my emails and facebook and stupid stuff.

with my smart actions i use a night time saver using a time frame starting at about 9, cause thats when my battery starts getting really low. turns off backround sync, gps, limits to 3g, turns screen brightness all the way down, and makes time out 30 seconds.

i have not tired the data every hour. it sounds like a good idea though. maybe i will check it out. but i could see it causing conflicts when i actually need data...
I have the Razr with an unlimited data plan. In terms if saving battery life, does it make more sense to turn off WFi unless I need it or turn off $G unless I need it. In o ther words, whcih draws more power/

michelle4439

Reaction score
Task manager

ddfuji;1957160]use task manager to auto end applications. so if your screen is off you dont have crap running in the backround, along with that i also use smart actions. and i turned down my screen to its lowest setting. some people dont like that, so you could try auto brightness. having the screen on the lowest setting takes time to get use to to but its not that bad.

i have not tired the data every hour. it sounds like a good idea though. maybe i will check it out. but i could see it causing conflicts when i actually need data...[

Did the task manager come on the phone? How do you set up the task manager to auto end applications? If you use a task manger isn't there some applications that it will end that you don't want it to? My battery is awful! Iturned on my phone at 7:30 this morning and it is 1:30pm now and I have charged it twice already. I have had the Razr for about a week and usually have to charge it at least once by now.

ddfuji

Reaction score
I have the Razr with an unlimited data plan. In terms if saving battery life, does it make more sense to turn off WFi unless I need it or turn off $G unless I need it. In o ther words, whcih draws more power/

4g by far takes up a lot more energy. 4g requires a seperate processing chip to function. unlike 3g or wifi, these are ran through just the regular processor. but wifi use less power then 4g and 3g. use it as often as you can

Last edited:

ddfuji

Reaction score
ddfuji;1957160]Did the task manager come on the phone? How do you set up the task manager to auto end applications? If you use a task manger isn't there some applications that it will end that you don't want it to? My battery is awful! Iturned on my phone at 7:30 this morning and it is 1:30pm now and I have charged it twice already. I have had the Razr for about a week and usually have to charge it at least once by now.

my razr came with a task manager. to set it up it will show all the list of applications that are currently on your phone. its really easy to do. you just select all the ones that you are fine with auto terminating. for me i froze about 56. most of them stuff i dont use, motocast, motoactv, most of the bloatware, google books etc. it only terminates app after two minutes of the screen being turned off. apps i still use when the screen off like my music or markets (for downloads/updates) i kept off the auto terminate list. to choose which applicationsyou want to auto end, you check the ones you want and at the buttom a little menu will pop up as soon as you select one or more app. there will be an "add to auto end list" selecting that option will put the applications you selected, to the auto end list.

my battery last around 13 to 16 hours depending on how i use it through out the day.
it just takes time to manage and figure out how to operate this beautiful piece of equipment.

michelle4439

Reaction score
ddfujimy razr came with a task manager. to set it up it will show all the list of applications that are currently on your phone. its really easy to do. you just select all the ones that you are fine with auto terminating. for me i froze about 56. most of them stuff i dont use, motocast, motoactv, most of the bloatware, google books etc. it only terminates app after two minutes of the screen being turned off. apps i still use when the screen off like my music or markets (for downloads/updates) i kept off the auto terminate list. to choose which applicationsyou want to auto end, you check the ones you want and at the buttom a little menu will pop up as soon as you select one or more app. there will be an "add to auto end list" selecting that option will put the applications you selected, to the auto end list.

my battery last around 13 to 16 hours depending on how i use it through out the day.
it just takes time to manage and figure out how to operate this beautiful piece of equipment

Thank you so much for your time. I am new to using Task manager even though I have owned 4 different kinds of smartphones. I pulled up my task manager and i see some apps running and lots not running. Will you please look at my lists of apps and see if it is ok to auto end these?
Facebook messenger, IM, beautiful widgets, Go calendar widget, 3DF balck and pink for Facebook, Bloackbuster, Books, Browser and Dolphin browser,Dictionary, Facebook, Go Contact widget, IM Presence, IMDb, Mp3 ringtone maker, Maps, Slacker, I also use ezPDF reader, Quickoffice pro, battery indicator pro, Itap cleaner, call confirm, color note, file expert, flashlight,sound hound, tango,yp, and alot of differnet go themes.
Will you please give me advice on the first list > I have those on the auto stop and the 2nd list I do not. THANKS SO MUCH AGAIN!!

ddfuji

Reaction score

Thank you so much for your time. I am new to using Task manager even though I have owned 4 different kinds of smartphones. I pulled up my task manager and i see some apps running and lots not running. Will you please look at my lists of apps and see if it is ok to auto end these?
Facebook messenger, IM, beautiful widgets, Go calendar widget, 3DF balck and pink for Facebook, Bloackbuster, Books, Browser and Dolphin browser,Dictionary, Facebook, Go Contact widget, IM Presence, IMDb, Mp3 ringtone maker, Maps, Slacker, I also use ezPDF reader, Quickoffice pro, battery indicator pro, Itap cleaner, call confirm, color note, file expert, flashlight,sound hound, tango,yp, and alot of differnet go themes.
Will you please give me advice on the first list > I have those on the auto stop and the 2nd list I do not. THANKS SO MUCH AGAIN!!

i would say yes to Facebook messenger, IM, Go calendar widget,3DF balck and pink for Facebook (not sure what this is), Bloackbuster, Books, Browser and Dolphin browser (reason for two broswers?) ,Dictionary, Facebook, Go Contact widget, IM Presence, IMDb, Mp3 ringtone maker, Slacker,Quickoffice pro, battery indicator pro, Itap cleaner, call confirm, color note, file expert, flashlight,sound hound, tango,yp, im not sure about the themese. id auto end the ones you arnt currently using.i said no to maps cause you sometimes use this for naviagtion and you dont want it to end when your in the middle of driving. but thats up to you. if you dont use maps then you can put it on the end list.

NoBloatware

Reaction score
Auto-killing apps wastes battery power and slows your phone if the apps just launch again by themselves as many stock apps do. It's better to let them sit idly in memory and let Android deal with them.

bullswife98

Reaction score
Auto-killing apps wastes battery power and slows your phone if the apps just launch again by themselves as many stock apps do. It's better to let them sit idly in memory and let Android deal with them.

I was informed somewhere in these forums that its ok to use the native task killer that came stock on the phone and its the 3rd party task killers like you see in the android market that chew through your battery life. It actually doesn't eat my battery up much at all honestly.

Sent from my Updated and Rooted Razr sliced thin! :)

ddfuji

Reaction score

That's like saying its better to keep the lights on cause it takes more energy to to the light back on.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using DroidForums

ddfuji

Reaction score
I was informed somewhere in these forums that its ok to use the native task killer that came stock on the phone and its the 3rd party task killers like you see in the android market that chew through your battery life. It actually doesn't eat my battery up much at all honestly.

That is true. That's why i was talking about the one that came with the phone.

bullswife98

Reaction score
That is true. That's why i was talking about the one that came with the phone.

I thought so, I've been using the native task killer that's in my stock since day one, along with tweeked smart actions, 3g only and with medium use can go 16 hrs or better. I have no battery life issues and am very pleased with it. IMO I had to constantly swap kernels around on my Og droid1 to even come remotely close to this. I'm happy with my Razrs battery life.

Zandar

Reaction score
That's like saying its better to keep the lights on cause it takes more energy to to the light back on.

Apps in memory are not the same as apps using up processor resources. This is a Linux device, not Windows; the same rules don't apply.

If an app is sitting in memory, it's not necessarily taking up any resources/battery. If you kill such an app and it starts back up, though, you're definitely using up processor and battery resources. It's best to let sleeping apps lie.

Sliced from my RAZR

dogman356

Reaction score
Thanks ddfuji. Might you answer another question?
I want to connect ny xoom via bluetooth my unlimited data Razr. When I had a Dorid X, I had to put the phone in airplane mode. When it was paired and connected, I got a big bluetooth icon. When I tried this with my Razr, it WON'T connect in airplane mode and while it connects to the internet I'm afraid its using the xoom data plan (yes I have one and I thought using the airplane mode was what turned that off). Their is no big bluetooth icon which makes me suspect it's running off the xoom data plan. Any thoughts?