Since it's been a couple weeks now, how are your 800mhz Droids holding up?

Reaction score
To the person asking if u can stay stock. The answer is yes. I too did not want bb or sholes as i tried roms and found them buggy. Stayed "stock" and running 1ghz no problem. Everything works after fixing the wifi issue.....

How are you OCing without rooting?

rican408

Reaction score
my bad i didnt mean unrooted... i just mean no bb or sholes type of rom...

jnev

Reaction score
To the person asking if u can stay stock. The answer is yes. I too did not want bb or sholes as i tried roms and found them buggy. Stayed "stock" and running 1ghz no problem. Everything works after fixing the wifi issue.....

Yep, same here. I'm running a stock 2.0.1 ROM, just rooted with a 800mhz kernel and wifi-tether. Everything works perfectly; I have no need for a new skin on my droid (among other useless (at least to me) features). I actually tried sholes before this, and found it extremely slow and buggy.

Taylorstevens

Reaction score

Yep, same here. I'm running a stock 2.0.1 ROM, just rooted with a 800mhz kernel and wifi-tether. Everything works perfectly; I have no need for a new skin on my droid (among other useless (at least to me) features). I actually tried sholes before this, and found it extremely slow and buggy.

So how would we go about doing this? I am currently running Bugless Beast but I think i'd rather have stock as well as my voice search doesnt work and the only reason i rooted was to overclock

muchgreater09

Reaction score
my droid has been running a 1g since it came out, and it runs pefectly. i can feel the back of the phone get really hot during excessive usage, and still like a rock. i want to try and push it to its limit

jasonb

Reaction score
i just rooted and installed the bugless beast and the cpuset app and am running it at 800mhz. it seems considerably faster and smoother. i have not noticed the phone getting any warmer than usual as of yet. i think it'll be fine.

muchgreater09

Reaction score
i just rooted and installed the bugless beast and the cpuset app and am running it at 800mhz. it seems considerably faster and smoother. i have not noticed the phone getting any warmer than usual as of yet. i think it'll be fine.

yeah 800 is really stable so your shouldnt feel any extra heat, but if you are using the high mhz then you will.

mjs31

Reaction score
800 with bugless beast has been perfect. Not one single issue and my phone is just amazingly responsive. I have my CPU controller (not setcpu but rather an app called overclock which I like better) set to throttle down during sleep.

Last edited:

LrdElderon

Reaction score
Well, the temp sensor in the droid is for measuring the battery temperature not the processor temp. I'm sure the cpu prob has power management and thermal controls to throttle or shutdown when it gets to a critical heat level? Not sure, but I think. Most modern processors do it now a days so....

Basically if your phone got too hot, you might have lockups, crashes, reboots or your battery might start leaking or warp... or however it wants to break. But I don't think the device itself will suffer any damage.

so really people should be worried about the battery and not about the cpu. it's probably just fine. It is odd though that they didn't put a temp sensor on the cpu itself.... wierd.

deputc26

Reaction score
The CPU SOC is rated to 90deg C so I wouldn't worry about heat damage, and a stock voltage OC won't hurt the proc even if it is unstably high, you're pretty much golden with 800mhz.

phenley

Reaction score
My experience thus far with smoked glass rom overclocked at 800 mHz has been nothing short of amazing. It is incredibly fast, makes home++ (still wanted 7 screens) faster and actually more stable, and battery life has been pretty much the same with no noticeable extra battery heat. As long as you manage things properly with setcpu everything should work perfectly

wil318466

Reaction score
My experience thus far with smoked glass rom overclocked at 800 mHz has been nothing short of amazing. It is incredibly fast, makes home++ (still wanted 7 screens) faster and actually more stable, and battery life has been pretty much the same with no noticeable extra battery heat. As long as you manage things properly with setcpu everything should work perfectly

I've been saying it over and over. Installing Smoked Glass is like buying a new phone. Even better than that, really. Its downright jaw dropping.

-Wil

Last edited: