A week's worth of observations

mattygabe

Reaction score
So, after having my Moto Droid for over a week now, I've been able to form a pretty solid opinion of it in stock form. Haven't rooted it yet, and don't plan on doing so for at least another month or so, possibly longer.

Here are a couple things I've noticed or come across in this past week:

-Any one else also keep bumping those darned menu, home, search and back buttons on accident? I even have an Innocase that helps a bit, but I keep slipping onto them occasionally!
-Keyboard is difficult to use, as many people have read. My fingers are becoming more adept at using it, though, takes practice
-Swype is an absolute must install!
-After getting a hang of the phone, learning to tap the power button to lock the phone and put the display to sleep is a must.
-I feel that the micro-USB port is placed very well, as if it's a great place to anchor the phone on my hands. Anyone else?
-The phone isn't as large as I imagined it would be, which I guess I thought it was going to be absolutely massive. Isn't as large of a footprint (or handprint, depending on how you look at it)
-Why won't the homescreen change it's orientation unless I slide the keyboard out? Every other application does it, I kind've expect it there, too. Am I missing something?

Again, these aren't complaints, merely observations. I love the phone, so don't tell me "return it and get something else". It's a really impressive piece of hardware, and I have no buyer's remorse whatsoever with this piece of tech.

Truthfully, it's my first smartphone, so I'm still adjusting to the fact that I have all of this data at my fingertips. Email on the crapper? News in the passenger seat? Weather at the dinner table? Yeah, it's awesome. :)

rda990

Reaction score
So, after having my Moto Droid for over a week now, I've been able to form a pretty solid opinion of it in stock form. Haven't rooted it yet, and don't plan on doing so for at least another month or so, possibly longer.

-Any one else also keep bumping those darned menu, home, search and back buttons on accident? I even have an Innocase that helps a bit, but I keep slipping onto them occasionally!

-Keyboard is difficult to use, as many people have read. My fingers are becoming more adept at using it, though, takes practice

-After getting a hang of the phone, learning to tap the power button to lock the phone and put the display to sleep is a must.

-I feel that the micro-USB port is placed very well, as if it's a great place to anchor the phone on my hands. Anyone else?

-The phone isn't as large as I imagined it would be, which I guess I thought it was going to be absolutely massive. Isn't as large of a footprint (or handprint, depending on how you look at it)

-Why won't the homescreen change it's orientation unless I slide the keyboard out? Every other application does it, I kind've expect it there, too. Am I missing something?

Again, these aren't complaints, merely observations. I love the phone, so don't tell me "return it and get something else". It's a really impressive piece of hardware, and I have no buyer's remorse whatsoever with this piece of tech.

Truthfully, it's my first smartphone, so I'm still adjusting to the fact that I have all of this data at my fingertips. Email on the crapper? News in the passenger seat? Weather at the dinner table? Yeah, it's awesome. :)

Only thing that stood out to me/I feel like replying to...Well you could before the 2.0.1 update...when i first got my phone it wasnt on 2.0.1 and I could do horizontal view or vertical.

eliassami5

Reaction score
the phone never changed orientation when on the desktop..not in 2.0 and not in 2.0.1

I came to love the fact that it doesn't rotate on the home screen and i think you will too once you spend more time with the phone.

SinCitySRT4

Reaction score
the phone never changed orientation when on the desktop..not in 2.0 and not in 2.0.1

I came to love the fact that it doesn't rotate on the home screen and i think you will too once you spend more time with the phone.

yeah i could do without the landscape on the home screen even when the keyboard is opened up

jozhua

Reaction score
If you get tired of pressing the sleep button, you can check out Screebl Lite. Great app that will put your phone to sleep when you set it down.

eliassami5

Reaction score

yeah i could do without the landscape on the home screen even when the keyboard is opened up

yes i understand that but we were talking about the screen rotating without flipping open the keyboard

SinCitySRT4

Reaction score
yea i know im just sayin i could do without the landscape homescreen period

ShowTime

Reaction score
yes, constantly. I've gotten better at avoiding all of them except the back button. I think I may be actively getting worse at avoiding hitting it accidentally.
I agree, there is a bit of a learning curve but I'm fully adjusted to it and have no complaints
Definitely. A lot of people recommend turning your screen timeout way down to conserve battery. But I keep mine at 1 minute, so it doesn't timeout while I'm doing anything, and just manually sleep it any and every time I'm done
I was a little worried too. I'd heard it was really heavy. I think it's great. Slim and sleek enough to easily be carried in my pocket/fit in my hands, but hefty enough to make it feel sturdy

Glad you're liking it so far.

titans

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score

-Nope. I hold mine with all fingers around the body and thumbs grabbing both sides. Try that. Or just one hand in portrait mode (although I dont see how you are bumping it in portrait mode)

-Agree, takes a while to get used to it, but after a while, you will get used to it.

-I don't use Swype.

-Don't hate it or like it..just there.

-Yeah I guess it is pretty small for a smartphone touchscreen slider.

-It won't. However if you root (I would recommend it, of course make sure you do the proper research to do it properly first) you will be able to use home landscape w/o opening the keyboard

OP
mattygabe

mattygabe

Reaction score
If you get tired of pressing the sleep button, you can check out Screebl Lite. Great app that will put your phone to sleep when you set it down.
Great find on Screebl Lite. Anyone used Pro, is it any better? Worth the $2?

natediddy1120

Silver Member
Reaction score
I've used Screebl pro....but that's the only one I have used so I don't really know what would be any different between the 2

OP
mattygabe

mattygabe

Reaction score
So, within this week, I've also discovered that as soon as 2.1 comes out and it's novelty wears off, I will be rooting to overclock. I've come across enough situations where I could see it slow down a bit to where I'm going to try an 800MHz overclock. The vast majority of the time it's as speedy as all get out, and I love it, but every once in a while I can catch it thinking. When the time comes, I'll be sure to do my due diligence in studying all that I need.

Also, it doesn't seem like there is a very diverse game selection? I know there's Robo Defense, and Labrynth was pretty fun (nice use of the accelerometers), but I was interested in seeing what other types of games there are.

As an aside, is there any indication that the search leader is going to work on improving search in the Android Market? I feel like it's really inexcusable that Google has the market as such that it's almost impossible to sort the market listings, or apply certain filters. Also, they really need to get some sort of an approval system going. Possibly a system that is tiered, perhaps "Trusted" applications that are put through an approval process, and "untrusted" apps, and users can select whether to view or hide the untrusted apps (and provide warnings, etc.) After reading a few threads about people's info being stolen in the Market, seems to me that there is a general false sense of security when dealing with phones, and Android seemed to have a Linux/Desktop type view of security, hence resulting in a gap. Anyone else feel this way?

Sam

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
mattygabe, as far as rooting after 2.1 drops.... might want to do that now. there is an outside chance that you will not be able to root after the 2.1 releases. we just don't know for sure yet. AND when it does drop, it will be all over these forums.. so if you want 2.1 at that point, you could just go back to stock and update.

and as far as 800mhz goes.. i've been running at 1000mhz for weeks now with absolutely zero issues. whatever you decide to do, i'm sure you will be pleased. ;)

r-dubya

Reaction score

1. You really do get used to it, i hardly ever hit buttons on accident.
2. RARELY use the keyboard anymore
3. Yes it is extremely nice, though i got very proficient with the stock virtual keyboard.
4. DUH :)
5.again, DUH :)
6. shocking, isn't it?
7. It's a known bug, and their "working on it" If rooted however, there are roms that fix that issue