3G to 4G (Is it worth the upgrade)

johnjr68

Reaction score
I have been viewing this forum for approximately one month now. I have learned so much from other members, that I have become the cell phone "pro" with my friends. I do have one question.

I am currenlty eligible for an upgrade. I have the OG and by far it is the best phone I have ever owned. It is built like a tank and has served my purposes well. I have been waiting for the Bionic since the Spring and now that it is right around the corner I am having second thoughts. Is the upgrade to 4G at this time worth it?

I live on Long Island and split my time there and in Brooklyn. I find that the 3G on my OG is still pretty quick but I am sure nowhere near what the newer phones provide. In reading other tech sites, it seems that since 4G is new and the phones must adapt to it, the phones will only get better, smaller and have a better battery life. I use my OG for calls, internet and maps. I do not play games or watch videos. Is it worth it to get a 4G phone at this time? I realize having it at my fingertips is a plus but would the Droid 3 be a better fit for the next two years until the 4G phones are fine tuned. I would love to hear from the rest of you. This is a question that I would never pose to a Verizon rep, for the obvious reason. thanks!

VolDroid

Reaction score
The jump to 4G is worth it IF you use the internet often and/or do downloads on your phone. The difference in speed is very noticeable .....but....I would definitely recommend one of the extended batteries for any of the 4g phones out now if you are going to be out using your phone heavily and not near a charger. I love my 4G device but at this time they do suck battery rather quickly.

OP
J

johnjr68

Reaction score
I guess I need to ask what "a lot" of internet access is. I am good for about 1-1.5 GB per billing cycle. compared to others that is negligible.

VolDroid

Reaction score
I'm in the same boat internet usage wise and I get a full days use out of my Thunderbolt. I don't play games on mine either. I'm using the stock battery and usually am around 50-60% battery after work and just plop it in the car dock on the way home.

OP
J

johnjr68

Reaction score
I'm in the same boat internet usage wise and I get a full days use out of my Thunderbolt. I don't play games on mine either. I'm using the stock battery and usually am around 50-60% battery after work and just plop it in the car dock on the way home.

Thanks. It is very useful to have a good comparison.