Signal issue related to ICS?

x25064

Reaction score
Throwing this out here but...

Has anyone ever thought the signal issue could be from ICS itself, not just samsungs radios? The only reason I say this is becuase I just flashed ICS on a rezound and got the same -95 db signal strength I had on my nexus as well. I wish there was some way to flash gingerbread on the nexus only to see what the signal strength would be.. then we could determine if the signal issues are a samsung issue or actually a google OS issue.

Just a thought.

tgyberg

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2XL & Pixel C
I think the problems are on the network. On other forums there are zero complaints about signal on the GSM version.

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Haven't had signal issues on my end, only time it's gone down is during those 2 outages in December.

soulshot96

Reaction score
I haven't had any issues either. Weird thing though. On my phone I get 10-13 mbs down but while tethering to my PC I get 25-29 mbs down. I suspect the speed test app.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus

capt. dan

Reaction score
Might explain why they have not released ICS for the 4g Xoom... I am running 4.0.4 on my Nexus and am stuck with 3g where as my Xoom sitting right next to it on my desk at work will have 4g.

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk

Crazed_Z06

Reaction score
I think the problems are on the network. On other forums there are zero complaints about signal on the GSM version.

Agreed. I have previously had a Thunderbolt and Bionic and now I have the Nexus. They all have a little bit different thresholds for when they switch over, but they generally all get the same reception. The bars might differ, but if I'm in a deadzone for the Nexus, then it's a dead zone for the Bionic and TB. I was at a bar the other day and I pull out my phone and it's on 3G. I ask my friend with a TB if he has 4G and my gf with the Bionic if she had 4G. The Bionic had no G, the Thunderbolt said 4G, but when my friend tried to use the network, he had no connectivity and it immediately went to no G, then 3G. The Bionic eventually switched to 3G in a minute or two.

I was impressed. While the other two phones were apparently messing around, the Nexus had already dropped down and I had connectivity when I whipped my phone out.

Malvado

DF News Team/Mod
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
Actually, there was an article a while back where some guy proved that there is no signal loss whatsoever. The problem is that the device doesn't read off the signal correctly making you think you have no signal. I'll try to look for the article.

Sent from my DROID3 using DroidForums

OP
x25064

x25064

Reaction score
Actually, there was an article a while back where some guy proved that there is no signal loss whatsoever. The problem is that the device doesn't read off the signal correctly making you think you have no signal. I'll try to look for the article.

Sent from my DROID3 using DroidForums

Yeah that article is a crock because I have terrible 3g AND 4g reception equally. I know this isn't the case for all, but Samsung is well know for poor radios. I flashed the 4.0.4 Rom with the display fix and I still had terrible reception in certain areas. (Low to medium coverage areas, inside anything with a roof)

nleksan

Reaction score
My phone's reception is very inconsistent... Generally speaking, it does get good signal and speed, but there are times where I am left scratching my head...

For example, standing outside of my house, I get "full bars" for 4G anywhere in my yard (signal a steady -78 to -82). However, there are three spots that I know of (so far) that are not blocked by anything, where my signal drops to barely 1 bar of 4G (-130 or worse). Moving my phone six inches out of this "dead zone" and I go right back to full bars, but for some reason...
The problem is that it seems like the phone acts like this everywhere! I will have full bars and suddenly lose my connection completely only to get it back at good strength after moving a few feet/yards from where it dropped...

It is rather perplexing.

What I am actually disappointed with in terms of signal on these phones is WiFi! I don't understand why my laptop with the same 2x2 antenna configuration (internal) as my Gnex get's 3-5x faster throughput from my router, which is 10ft away and direct line of sight (no signal interference; cordless phones are 1.8ghz, microwave is built-in above double-oven and the enclosure was actually built with shielding (first owner who built the house was the head of IT for a large North American company... house is pretty new, and I am the second owner) that is effective according to Inssider...
In fact, there are NO signal disruptions via interference according to multiple WiFi "scanners", and I am on the least-populated channels in my neighborhood for 2.4ghz (concurrent 20mhz and 40mhz) and the only other 5ghz network I can pick up from my house is on the complete opposite end of the spectrum from me...
I just got one of the Asus RT-N66U 900 routers to work as my primary and have the E4200 moved to the first floor (50' of Cat7E shielded cable connecting the two, run through the wall) to serve as a better signal source than what was there previously. There are multiple repeaters (APs) in my house, as well as Powerline Ethernet hubs for certain areas, and I get full connection speeds everywhere in my house with all three laptops...
BUT MY PHONE STRUGGLES TO GET 54Mbps SPEEDS! It is defaulting to "G" speeds, when it is clearly a MIMO "N" device... The routers identify it as such, and are trying to send the proper signal, but the phone defaults to "G"...

It is driving me bonkers! Does anyone have any idea why the phone is doing this? It doesn't matter if it is configured for 2.4ghz, 5ghz, or Auto, or if it is set for 20mhz or 40mhz band... It just won't even recognize the 5ghz network and not connect at all if manually set to 5ghz.

I am not a Wireless Networking genius, so I am sure I am missing a number of things, but I could use some help if anyone notices anything odd?

THANKS!!!

(PS: WPA2, no QoS, no MAC Filtering currently, and internet connection is Cable 50down/25up)

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
And that article explains the reason why I never really compared or paid much attention to the amount of bars when comparing signal with other devices.

OP
x25064

x25064

Reaction score
That's a good read. That explains everything. Now if people would just stop complaining...

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

Hows that koolaid taste?