Should I use a task killer or not?

zambrij

Reaction score
I have read numerous posts about the good and bad of the task killers; some swear by them, saying they greatly improve battery life. Others say they create tons of problems. I am waiting for a replacement phone as mine has gone haywire; resetting on it own constantly, screen freezes, etc... I was running a task killer, but uninstalled it and saw no difference in the problems with the phone.

So, when I get the new phone, should I use a task killer or avoid it?

christim

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Sounds like you've got a plan, just like before:
See how long your battery lasts. Add in the task manager and check again. See if it makes a difference on your phone with your apps.

I don't use one. Others do. Find what works for you and good luck!

hedney3

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
I have read numerous posts about the good and bad of the task killers; some swear by them, saying they greatly improve battery life. Others say they create tons of problems. I am waiting for a replacement phone as mine has gone haywire; resetting on it own constantly, screen freezes, etc... I was running a task killer, but uninstalled it and saw no difference in the problems with the phone.

i think the best thing you can do is have a task killer on hand. the problems arise when you kill task that are essential for your OS to run.so its ok to use the task killer but make sure you exclude the task that you need for you phone to work. but no you do not need to use a task killer to get good battery life out of you phone. so as most things are...its personal preference

OP
Z

zambrij

Reaction score
Thank you for the advice :) I will try it both ways and see how it goes.

jsh1120

Silver Member
Reaction score

I'm pretty firmly on the anti-task killer side of the fence. Trying to out-think the OS is more or less a losing battle. Having said that, however, there is one task killer in the Market that I've found useful: System Panel.

It provides much the same information as Advanced Task Manager in a more user friendly fashion; distinguishes between active and inactive applications in memory; and provides a view of available memory and cpu activity.

As this suggests, I use it mainly to monitor the performance of my phone rather than to kill tasks. I admit, however, I've used it to get rid of the annoying MP3 Store app that Google and Amazon insist on pulling into memory from time to time. It does nothing for the performance of my phone or the battery drain. It just makes me feel better.

dbu

Reaction score
If your phone is rooted I would check out Auto Killer, Auto Memory Manager, or Min Free Manager. These are not task killers per se but allow you to tweak the settings on Android's built in task killer. So you can actually set how you want the memory to be managed.

???

Reaction score
My take on them is when I've been using my phone for a long time. Say end of a work day, it will get laggy. A quick tap of my apparently killer and the laggyness is gone. So I like mine and never notice anything bad happening.

Off to download autokiller

???

Reaction score
crap.. I went with it because I love real keyboard but am trying to work in some onscreen use incase my next phone is screen only.. looks like it caught me out again