Shamu 5.1.0 on Factory Images Page Now

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Will FoxiFi work with the nexus 6 and 5.1 lollipop.
If you set up your phone without the Sim and just WiFi it should not default to any network so I would think the built in app would work fine. Don't quote me as I had not had to use a tethering app in years. But the way your phone decides it carrier affiliation is not who you buy it through but when you go through the set up process. Granted otas may be different but I manually update my phone any way. I just wait for the factory images and flash them via fastboot. This also allows me to keep the boot unlocked as I do not like "forced" encryption. If I am not mistaken, only the nexus 6 and nexus 9 forces encryption. I know my nexus 5 have the option but it is off by default. Back on the subject of your question, the built in tethering feature should work without reporting to your carrier. But I need to research to be for sure that is the case. As Google lately has aligned itself closer to carrier demands.

bnpdp

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
God's Phone aka Pixel 3 XL
Will FoxiFi work with the nexus 6 and 5.1 lollipop.

Not yet. But if you root, WiFi Tether Router from Fabio Grasso will work. It's $2.50 in the store.

I couldn't find any WiFi program to work non-rooted. I am on the stock ROM and this is the only one I could find that worked.

cybertec69

Silver Member
Reaction score
Thanks pc747, I have heard that with 5.1 it forces encryption, so I don't know how that would interfere with FoxiFi. I need to tether my tablet Nexus 7 for work, been doing it with my S4 no problem.

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Thanks pc747, I have heard that with 5.1 it forces encryption, so I don't know how that would interfere with FoxiFi. I need to tether my tablet Nexus 7 for work, been doing it with my S4 no problem.
Encryption is not really a bad thing and actually commend Google for adding it to lollipop. Even better is performance has improved a lot since 5.0. The added security is a plus, I just wished Google would handle it like they do the nexus 5 where the customer can toggle it on and off. Encryption does a great job protecting your data. One example, when I first flashed 5.1 I did not realize it turned it back on by default. My phone went black, sleeping the display while it conserve power, as it was encrypting my device. I did not notice and powered off in the middle of the encryption process, I noticed when the display woke up but by then it was too late and the power down process started. So obviously when I go to power back on I get an encryption corruption error, as I caused that by powering down while it was in the middle of the encryption process. So it would not boot up android prompting me to wipe / factory reset my phone (through recovery). I had my data backed up through tibu with the folder copied to my desktop so no real issue and though I had to deal with a minor inconvenience I appreciated what Google added to lollipop. To be honest encryption now is only a minor inconvenience to people who like to tinker with their phones. For the most part encryption has come a long way where you will barely notice. Yeah the software will take a minor hit as it takes longer to read/write for a device with encryption than without, but that is mainly felt ever so slightly when you open and close certain apps.

bkdodger

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 10+
I'd personally root the phone.. Then flash a stock ROM such as CleanRom with enabled tethering..

@pc747 I believe once you put that sim in the tethered block will come up

Tapped by Big 6

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I'd personally root the phone.. Then flash a stock ROM such as CleanRom with enabled tethering..

@pc747 I believe once you put that sim in the tethered block will come up

Tapped by Big 6
You could be right, like I said, I had not used a tethering app in awhile plus I would not put it pass Google to cave in that aspect with the carriers.

bkdodger

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 10+
You could be right, like I said, I had not use a tethering app in awhile plus I would not put it pass Google to cave in that aspect with the carriers.

Yeah.. I'd rather go the ROM way.. Stable like stock and no issues with tether and all..

Tapped by Big 6

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Yeah.. I'd rather go the ROM way.. Stable like stock and no issues with tether and all..

Tapped by Big 6
I always loved Scott's Clean ROM. By far the only ROM I would recommend, especially to those who want stock stability. Scott is one of the few developers I ever made a donation to and would donate again to even though I do not use Roms hardly ever anymore.

cybertec69

Silver Member
Reaction score
So if I root the device it would mean I would have to wait for the developer to port the latest build into his ROM, the last time I used a ROM was with my S4, which back then was unlocked and rooter using TWRP, then kitkat 4.4 happened and it all went out the window.

bkdodger

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 10+
They have been pumping out the latest stock quickly [ AOSP has been the pain in the ass to update]

you can test this out with simple root - I'm thinking it will work

Adding the "net.tethering.noprovisioning=true" line to the /system/build.prop file did exactly what I needed and even eliminated the need to use Chainfire's Hotspot Control and/or Foxfi. Many thanks and a "tip-of-the-hat" for helping to simplify my setup.

bnpdp

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
God's Phone aka Pixel 3 XL
They have been pumping out the latest stock quickly [ AOSP has been the pain in the ass to update]

you can test this out with simple root - I'm thinking it will work

Adding the "net.tethering.noprovisioning=true" line to the /system/build.prop file did exactly what I needed and even eliminated the need to use Chainfire's Hotspot Control and/or Foxfi. Many thanks and a "tip-of-the-hat" for helping to simplify my setup.

Just tapped this in and rebooted. Worked like a charm. Turned on the native hotspot without an error saying call Big Red.

Thank you very much.

bkdodger

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 10+
Just tapped this in and rebooted. Worked like a charm. Turned on the native hotspot without an error saying call Big Red.

Thank you very much.

Nice.. Great to hear it.......All credit to peeps at XDA...

Tapped by Big 6

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
So if I root the device it would mean I would have to wait for the developer to port the latest build into his ROM, the last time I used a ROM was with my S4, which back then was unlocked and rooter using TWRP, then kitkat 4.4 happened and it all went out the window.

Only if you choose to stay with that rom. With google releasing the factory image you can flash the updates yourself. But if you flash a rom or modify the boot/recovery partition then you may not be able to get otas as it checks to make sure nothing has been modified before updating.

Sydman

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
They posted another factory image for the Nexus 5/6, go grab your USB cable.

Tap'd from my Big Whale

Reactions: CJM