SGS5 & Note4 Tech: 64Bit Exynos Confirmed; 2560x1440 AMOLED & 128-Bit CPUs Coming Too

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
samsung-ceo-demo.png

We have a couple of juicy tidbits of future tech to share with you guys. We found these last night but didn't get a chance to share them until this morning. First, a senior ARM official supposedly confirmed that the 64-bit Exynos that Samsung teased will indeed be showing up in the Galaxy S5 and probably the Galaxy Note 4 as well. That's not all he shared though. Apparently, Samsung is working on 128-bit processors which will be ready within two years. He wasn't clear if these 128-bit processors were Samsung designs, so he could have simply been talking about future ARM designs. Either way, this unnamed exec claims we will see them ready in 2015.

It's easy to wonder what we would need this technology for in a smartphone. Desktop PCs haven't even begun moving to 128-bit processors. He hinted that biometric applications like face recognition will dramatically increase our need for computing power in smaller devices.

There's more future tech news to share regarding the Samsung Galaxy S5. A leaked Samsung CEO display presentation suggests the SGS5 will come sporting an astounding 2560x1440 AMOLED display. This would mean a pixel density of 560, and most likely would result in a 5.3-inch device. This is another move in which we question its wisdom if true. At that high of a resolution, the energy consumption would likely not be worth the payoff. With such a small screen, would there really be that much of a display quality difference between this res and 1080p that would justify the massive energy drain on the battery?

Check out the full presentation at the PhoneArena link below and then come back to share your thoughts.

Source: PhoneArena & UnWiredView

gadgetrants

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
OK, the 560 DPI is kind of silly, but it would be fun to try and figure out an Apple-esque name for it.

If current high-end displays are "retina"...what would almost "double-retina" be???? Maybe...

"Ultra-retina"?

"RETINA-AND-BEYOND!!!!"?

"Retinatastic"?

"Reti-nano"?

"Retinagasmic"?

Yeah, I obviously suck at marketing...

-Matt

johnomaz

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel 2XL
OK, the 560 DPI is kind of silly, but it would be fun to try and figure out an Apple-esque name for it.

If current high-end displays are "retina"...what would almost "double-retina" be???? Maybe...

"Ultra-retina"?

"RETINA-AND-BEYOND!!!!"?

"Retinatastic"?

"Reti-nano"?

"Retinagasmic"?

Yeah, I obviously suck at marketing...

-Matt

Retina Air. All they do is recycle old crap.

OP
dgstorm

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
LMAO at all your ideas!

akhenax

Silver Member
Reaction score
:) fun fact:

"anything with the word Retina...
and Apple's gonna sue ya"

-----

Maybe just use other anatomical eye terms like,
Sclera, Choroid or Cornea... or would that just be Corny?

Last edited:

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
"Retina display" is trademarked by Apple. I'm not joking.

Aside from the power consumption issues, I would just prefer the money go to something that adds noticeable value. I'd much rather have a 400ppi display and TWO sd slots...more ram and more internal memory.

If we could order phones a la carte, only an idiot would pay to upgrade to 560ppi.

GAstorino

Reaction score
Question? Can the display resolution be lowered down in order to reduce battery drain if they raised it to 2560x1440 AMOLED like you might do on your laptop or computer so that you get the maximum resolution if you want but others can reduce to save battery till needed. Also wish they would do 3 things. (1) Way better camera experience so I can finally get rid of my camera. Increase speed, lighting, lens. (2) Increase ram to way more. Ram is cheap so why go cheap. Maybe also have 2 banks for 2 memory cards. (3) Stop it with the bloatware. Let us remove all bloatware to our account so not on the phone and stop it with the programs always running in the background even after shutting them down. Do I always need my Nook software running even after shutting it down. Crazy. I think these 3 things would greatly enhance any phone experience.

gadgetrants

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
My intuition is that lowering the resolution on a computer display doesn't mean that a subset of pixels are turned off. Instead it's a software operation that "binds" nearby pixels together, so that several in a neighborhood display the same light/color level, where they would have had different levels at the higher resolution. So because they all stay "on" I don't think that a lower resolution saves any power, and in some cases it may require more graphics computations (depending on the dimensions of the display image) to transform from the native display to a lower resolution and actually increase battery consumption. But that's mostly reverse engineering and a bit of guesswork.

However, on something like a 4K display it sounds plausible that you could actually turn off or dim some of the pixels -- remember, after "retina" the individual pixels can "no longer be perceived by the naked eye" -- and it may not be perceivable by someone with normal vision. It's basically the same idea that when viewing a 50"-60" TV at around 10', most people can't actually distinguish between 720p and 1080p. Unless the price tag is still on the TV, of course. ;)

-Matt

Last edited:

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
Jeez, Gadget... You're starting to sound like me!! :icon_eek:

Seriously though. You bring up an excellent point. If there are 560 dots per inch, could your eyes actually detect (not by comparison mind you, but by direct recognition), if you were to turn off every 5th pixel? By doing so, you would effectively reduce the power consumption nearly 20%, and the result would be a display that's perhaps 10-20% less bright, but I don't think the eyes could really recognize the missing pixel every 5 in all directions and equally distributed.

bkdodger

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 10+
I have better than perfect vision ...I know I would notice it for sure y'all...:blink:

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
S Display?
Samsung calls everything else S this or S that in their galaxy line.

Support Our Troops!!!
<><
s pen aholic in Beast Mode (Notetoo)

Amagine

Reaction score
All this talk about the display... has anyone put a thought into the 128 bit processors? Think about this. 64 bit processors can in theory handle 2 billion gigabytes of addressable RAM. A 128 bit processor? 39 OCTILLION Gigabytes. Thats 39 followed by 27 zeros.

At what point do our phones become self aware? LOL