Setting the root password

sidww2

Reaction score
Hey,

Does anyone know how to set the root password on Android 2.1? I'm using a Motorola Droid.

Thanks
Sid

MajickMan

Reaction score
Has anyone found a way to set the root password? For those wondering why we want to set a password just google iPhone Rick Roll. That was basically a proof of concept attack that could have been much worse. I'd like to protect my phone from such things and I'm sure you would too.

Thanks,

MajickMan

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb
I'd like to protect my phone from such things and I'm sure you would too.

Then Unroot. As it has been said, you cannot add a password to Root.

christim

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Much like newer versions of windows will ask if you want to run an exectuable, even when logged on with an administrator account, your phone does the same thing with busybox, mm, root explorer, setcpu, and more.

If you really want to step things up a notch then you don't run your OS as root/admin. By rooting our phones we set ourselves at risk. By allowing to install from unknown sources we set ourselves at risk. By just installing an app from the market because it looks cool we also set ourselves at risk.

When we install an app that has lots of press coverage that lots of folks have already used we are acting in a more secure manner. The dev might be better known, others would have uncovered something wrong etc.

Any of the apps you install that say they can collect network, browser, and keyboard info could possibly be gathering and sending info you don't want sent. The community is what is keeping things safe.

I'd be interested in knowing what other sorts of safeguards are on the market to prevent keystroke capturing type code from being present in apps. Root isn't needed for that.

All that being said...there's a ton of phones out there. not so many viruses. I feel pretty safe with what I've done with my phone, as well as with my pc. But you never can be 100% sure.

noobkiller

Reaction score
Let's clarify ths

Then Unroot. As it has been said, you cannot add a password to Root.

Okay, *****cat, let's see why you're noob ;)

I used linux as a developer and administrator of a huge system for the last ten years, but I have to tell that I use android for 3 days, and never had before.
Through these 3 mere days I discovered that android is fundamentally an _exact_ linux and, as such, it does impiles the possibility of using unix user accounts and passwords.
The former (user accounts) is a natural part of the system, every app installed to the droid is given an exclusive one. (i must stop here to admit this is a strike of genius, a beautiful way to separate applications' workspace and permissions in such a way as we usually do on web servers hosting multiple domains, virtual hosts). It must be mentioned, that the files which control user accounts under linux (like /etc/passwd) are absent under android, because there is a stub for mapping the android_id to passwd structure. So there are no physical files for this purpose, the stub should populate the values. BUT this behaviour may be altered (i wouldn't like to describe how, it's your fight to figure out).
The latter one is a bit tricky, because android has no system authentication method (like PAM, or such) built in it, hence the only way to change the UID or EUID is to call the corresponding kernel call from a C program. BUT you are welcome to these C programs (including PAM itself), from any of the linux distros around, and after a (really-really) minimal modification they will work on android perfectly.

Thank you for your kind attention :D

kristoff125

Reaction score
Noobkiller first and foremost welcome to the forums. Not sure where you get off calling people noobs when you show up in a forum and resurrect a dead three year old thread to drop worthless knowledge. There is no way to set a root password on Android. Go away troll.

noobkiller

Reaction score
Noobkiller first and foremost welcome to the forums. Not sure where you get off calling people noobs when you show up in a forum and resurrect a dead three year old thread to drop worthless knowledge. There is no way to set a root password on Android. Go away troll.

Hi!

At first I have to say sorry about my behaviour. I was googling for hours, visiting tons of android forums concerning the topic, knowing it has to be possible. This was the last stop of my desperate trip towards the solution and a huge anger overcame my politeness. I think everybody has committed such a fault at least once on a time. Again, I am really sorry, I did not want insult anyone.
Anyway,
I did it on the weekend. I compiled the PAM library, openssh server, and other neccessary tools gathered from Gentoo Linux and installed them on my android system. After configuration (and a bit of magic, of course :) ), both publickey and keyboard-interactive authentication was being supported on my device (Galaxy S) through ssh. Additionally, the good ol' /bin/login is available, that is, password authentication is also possible directly on the phone.

If somebody feels this achievement of mine usable, I gladly share the binaries or the "androidized" source codes. Please contact me on the e-mail address
[email protected]

Best regards,
Géza

PS: I hope this knowledge is not in fact worthless for the community...

MR.bean

Reaction score
As your asking i think yoou are taking a big risk because if u put password for ur root then it may led you to losse few of your apps