seems a bit quite in bionic land

Reaction score
Contract is about to expire. By the way if my contract expires, does that mean I can get out of my contract with Verizon and go into a prepaid plan with them?

Just for the time being before I get my Google Play Edition of the S4

aaf709

Nice Guy
Premium Member
Reaction score
Contract is about to expire. By the way if my contract expires, does that mean I can get out of my contract with Verizon and go into a prepaid plan with them?

Just for the time being before I get my Google Play Edition of the S4

Yes, I believe so, I've gone past my contract and all it meant was that I was on month-to-month with them. I paid exactly what I was paying under contract, except I could quit anytime.

That being said, my contact ends on the 12th of this month and I'll be going after another phone. I may pay for it outright just to keep my unlimited data.

UPDATE: Found out it was cheaper to go with the Verizon Edge plan. Data limit is 3 times what I need (don't need much) and got the S4.

That being said, if I knew how fast it would be to get back up to speed, I would've done a factory reset a long time ago.

Mbk

Android For Life
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
My contract ends on the 11th of this month, was eligible to upgrade since March 11th but stuck with my Bionic still yet. I did do some inquiring about upgrading to a Samsung Galaxy Note 2, was offered it for $199, and some free/discounted accessories, but still would have to pay the $30 upgrade fee. Didn't get to discussing whether I'd get to keep my unlimited data plan with a 2 yr upgrade. I also discussed the Edge program with them but being that despite not having to sign a 2 yr service contract extention, having to pay full price AND losing my unlimted data plan for certain, that option was scrapped right away for me.
I'm planning to wait until a few weeks after my contract ends to try and see if I can get them to offer me some better deals on the Note 2 or another phone, keep my unlimited data, and possibly even get the upgrade fee waived. If they truly want to reward me for my years & years of loyalty with them, then they'll offer some superb deals...well I'd atleast hope so.

Reaction score
You don't get to "upgrade" and keep your unlimited, period. Unless you pay full price which is not considered an upgrade.

As for my Bionic, its still going very strong. I laugh when my extended battery Bionic is still well over 2/3 charge in the late afternoon when the Galaxy and iCrap guys are looking for chargers or going out to their cars to plug them in. I laugh when I'm outside at work and dude next to me with the AMOLED screen is struggling to see and I can see totally fine in the sun. I laugh when they tell me they paid $hundreds to upgrade and lost their unlimited data. I laugh when I whip out my lapdock in the break room, throw my phone in and get ppl looking at me like "why the hell can't my $300 subsidized ridiculous phone have that?" as I cruise around the interwebs. Finally I laugh on business trips when I rip off a 3 Gig movie to watch that evening and they lost their unlimited when they had to upgrade to the latest/greatest.

There is plenty of reason to still love the Bionic, I see no reason to upgrade at all until mine starts getting glitchy and becoming unusable. Knocking on wood, its still going like a champ. I got it on the evilbays less than a year ago practically brand new and only used for a few months without a scratch on it. My OG Droid lasted forever and my Dad still uses my original DX that I got in 2010 and its still going strong too. Maybe I'll be the last Bionic user in 2015? Will be the case if it lasts that long.

OP
R

rcblate

Reaction score
Nice feedback everyone. My bionic dares me to use it everyday! Of is glitchy, lagy and some days just not that functional. I so want to take a sledge hammer to it! Master clean pops up multiple times a day saying that memory is 90% used.
As for a replacement, I am not a fan of the big screen phones. Gs4,etc... any suggestions on options?

TatDroid

Reaction score
My "release day" Bionic is nearing it's 2nd birthday (Sept 8) and is still going strong with its OEM extended battery. Typically get 16 hours of up time with 3 to 4 hours of screen time.

I'm one of 4 lines on our family plan, all with unlimited data, and have no plans to mess with that, so will continue to buy at retail. Currently waiting to see if the coming Nexus will be: 1) offered by Verizon, and 2) LTE capable. Fingers crossed...

Stinson317

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
LG G3
I added a line. Signed up for the X. Offered it to the wife to replace her RAZR which would go to the daughter. Not convinced she'll jump on the X. She's a new smart phone user and likes her Razer. If she passes it'll be my bionic that that becomes the hand me down bait. I'm not sure I'm ready to give up root and all the fun I'm having with CM 10.2. I love the nightly updates. My oldest son is foaming at the prospects that I'll pass on the X because that puts him next in line. And his Razr becomes trade bait. And my poor last in line daughter is smiling ear to ear at her pending smart phone regardless of what it is.

k1ngr4t

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Z Force
Nice feedback everyone. My bionic dares me to use it everyday! Of is glitchy, lagy and some days just not that functional. I so want to take a sledge hammer to it! Master clean pops up multiple times a day saying that memory is 90% used.
As for a replacement, I am not a fan of the big screen phones. Gs4,etc... any suggestions on options?

I'm hearing pretty good things about the Droid-Mini.

For frame of reference, it's a 4.3in screen as opposed to GS4's 5. I believe an iPhone 5 is about 4 inches.

Stinson317

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
LG G3
Today the moto X showed up. Was pretty excited to open the box. First impression ......Humph.......no wow. About the same size as the ole bionic. The old girl still looks good for her age. Later I'll power her up. At this Point I'm betting on the cm bionic.

Reaction score
Just tried out CM finally. All I can say is holy yoga balls... New life for this phone x1000. Not that it was doing bad on the stock rom... Heard enough good things about the Nightlies to just jump right into that and Android 4.3 and I'm glad I did. Everything works 100% minus the docks unless I am not doing something right. Small price to pay for the smoothness/stability and getting my tethering working again. If I need to use my lapdock ever I can always boot into the stock rom.

This thing is still rocking along... I see 0 need to upgrade. Wife wants an iCrap when our ghost line is due for an upgrade in March. She might get it, I'll keep on keeping on until this thing gives up the ghost. Extended battery isn't even a year old yet and still giving me massive battery life. CPU sleeper on rooted stock JB and now with CM I imagine it'll be even better.