"Can" battery life get better?

OP
K

KenjiWB

Reaction score
Thanks for the tips! I went through and made alot of changes (didnt do the factory reset because I dont want to have to re-download everything just yet...) but I think this is gonna help, will be back with an update later tomorrow!

SSHGuru

Silver Member
Reaction score
You can leave it plugged in. The worst thing you can do is drain it. This has all been confirmed by Moto and Verizon.

OP
K

KenjiWB

Reaction score
Alright, so after some light use starting Friday morning Im seeing MUCH better battery life. Im not sure exactly what was the huge battery hog, but I made most of the tweaks in this thread....after some texting, some pictures taken/sent, browsing, downloading some apps, updated alot of apps, a little cleanup etc...

1d 9h 40m with 15% remaining. This is on the Standard battery.

terigox

Reaction score
Alright, so after some light use starting Friday morning Im seeing MUCH better battery life. Im not sure exactly what was the huge battery hog, but I made most of the tweaks in this thread....after some texting, some pictures taken/sent, browsing, downloading some apps, updated alot of apps, a little cleanup etc...

1d 9h 40m with 15% remaining. This is on the Standard battery.

That's petty killer battery life Kenji.... what do you have on your homescreens? Do you use widgets? Im thinking about getting rid of some of mine for that kind of battery life!

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

OP
K

KenjiWB

Reaction score
I didn't do a factory reset like was recommended, far too lazy to start over completely heh, but these were the steps I took from the first page:

1. Did not sync apps (made sure none of my apps were set for automatic updates etc)
2. Wifi is disabled (for now, will likely turn it back on when I return home, currently out of state)
3. I don't use an automatic task killer, but I did see what was "Running" and stopped most of it.
4. Stopped using weather widget, not like I really use it anyways it was just pretty (and weather is still just an icon away).
5. Stopped using my live wallpaper.
6. Stopped my CNN news feed (not like it updates enough to matter anyways, and again, just an icon away)
7. Turned GPS off, use Google location services, so far good enough.
8. VZW location services turned off
9. Screen brightness to automatic (always was though)
10. Turned off Account Syncing
11. Turned off Voice Privacy
12. Turn off haptic feedback (was bugging me anyways)
13. Turned off Animations (not really sure what this did, seems quite 'animated' still)
14. Turned off several sounds that I didn't care for
15. Set screen timeout to 1min instead of 2mins
16. Changed browser homepage to a mobile news site instead of Google

I really dont feel like I changed much at all (despite the length of the list). I honestly have not noticed a sacrifice on any front regarding the performance of the phone, so I am completely convinced that I was draining my battery using things that I didn't even know I was using. Not only that, but because I disabled alot of the stuff I don't even care about, the phone actually feels much more responsive as well, it's almost a completely different experience!

Widgets were probably the biggest issue, I definitely went overboard with them and since changed most of them back to icons (which really doesnt affect my user experience at all lol).

portermac

Reaction score
Ok I'm at 91% after 9hrs today, lite use and ext. Battery. That's the best I've seen. Crazy thing is I just downloaded battery defender yesterday. I don't normally try these things but thought I'd give it a go. Juice defender never helped but this app has to be because like I said I've never seen this good of battery life before. I'll know more tomorrow during a normal work day.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

Last edited:
OP
K

KenjiWB

Reaction score
It really doesn't feel like I turned off any features/functions though, like I said, I honestly haven't noticed anything that I miss...as in, I don't even realize that I've turned anything off from a users standpoint, I just disabled a lot of stuff that I didn't know I wasn't using or taking advantage of. I mean, seriously, how often does one need to sync apps (just as an example)?

Today, I've been doin more of a 'stress test' on the battery without any additional changes, been texting, browsing, playing some games, messing with google earth, watched about 1.5 hrs of Netflix, and streamed Pandora non-stop. So, after what I would consider non-stop extremely heavy usage:

5h 21m with 15% remaining.

Needless to say, I am much more satisfied with my Bionic recently, and am much more optimistic about its life cycle.

wilboy

Reaction score
Wow it sucks that you have to turn off most of the phones features to get decent battery life :/

For me it's fine tho...i can still receive calls and text (incoming/outgoing) but no MMS(pictures).Have to turn on my data when i needed it(eg: for 5 minutes)to check my e-mail-surf the internet and refresh my weather widget...then turn-off again. :biggrin:

PS..BTW..DBionic can surf the internet while talking on the phone...just to let you know. ;)

Last edited:

wilboy

Reaction score
I don't understand the need to gimp your phone. Buy the extended battery.
No need man..have had a car charger and @ work too!! I can't use my phone while driving..no cell phone during working hour! :D