Seeing old wallpaper after flashing new rom

buckeye_1

Reaction score
I switched to 5.0.6.1 from UD10. After wiping data and cache, and installing the new rom, the UD wallpaper was still there. I changed it to something else and continued to set my phone up. Later I tried to install the Red Rum theme to give it a look. I had problems trying to get it to take. I tried to reflash the ROM and try again. This time I manually wiped data and cache 3 times each and continued to reflash 5.0.6.1. Same thing, my new wallpaper was on there when it finally booted up. I haven't tried the theme again yet. I'm trying to figure out why my wallpapers are lingering from rom to rom when I am doing wipes and resets. Any clues?

JCo352

Reaction score
I think that wallpaper is in Cyanmod roms, because I've never had UD , and it's on my phone.

OP
buckeye_1

buckeye_1

Reaction score
I set a picture from my gallery as a wallpaper, then reflashed CM again. I did wipe and reset then reflashed. After booting up, the wallpaper that I set from the gallery was still there. It's not part of the ROM....

JCo352

Reaction score
I set a picture from my gallery as a wallpaper, then reflashed CM again. I did wipe and reset then reflashed. After booting up, the wallpaper that I set from the gallery was still there. It's not part of the ROM....

Oh I see, maybe because it is stored in a directory on your sd card.

GrandMasterB

Reaction score
Guys, its tied to your Google account. When you flash a ROM that auto reinstalls your apps after signing in, it also reapplies the Wally you were using before you flashed ;)

Its part of backing up your settings to the Google cloud, settings/privacy/backupmysettings or by selecting the check box to have your settings backed up to Google servers during the setup wizard.

Last edited:

Droids

Reaction score
I was running Cyanogen 5.7 and had used a wallpaper I got from the Android Wallpapers app. When I upgrading to 6.1 I manually wiped Data, Cache, System, and Boot a couple of times each as well as the factory reset option. When I booted up 6.1 my old wallpaper was still there although it shouldn't have even existed on the phone anymore since I also wiped and partitioned the sdcard for apps2sd.

After changing to another wallpaper, that old wallpaper is no longer an option, it doesn't exist anymore. So obviously the wallpaper is being cached somewhere other than the sd card or those 4 partitions. I have no idea where.

Droids

Reaction score
Guys, its tied to your Google account. When you flash a ROM that auto reinstalls your apps after signing in, it also reapplies the Wally to the one you were using before you flashed ;)
This must be the case because the wallpaper is there immediately, before Google has a chance to download all your apps (in my case the Android Wallpaper app). Google must be caching the last used wallpaper.

OP
buckeye_1

buckeye_1

Reaction score
That's probably it. I never had that problem before, and I don't think I was using the google backup option before either. Thanks.