SD cards and compatibility

a_feral_duck

Reaction score
After upgrading from an Omnia, I tried to move the 16 gig card into my new Droid 2 and have not met with success. Swapping memory cards and powering on the phone just leave me stuck on the motorola logo screen.

I put the card into an adapter and formatted it to FAT32 on my PC, but no luck. It is an older card (from waaaaaay back when microSD cards were called trans-flash cards, its already been through 3 phones so a part of me will be sad to see it go, while the rest of me calls that part a sentimental dolt) so I think age may be a factor, but was wondering if I maybe need to reformat it in a special matter or anything before I go drop more money on a new memory card (for that matter, any brands known to not work at all?).

Thanks!

LtKen

Silver Member
Reaction score
I'll go with the age hypothesis -- FAT32 is FAT32. Though, it is weird that it wont boot -- usually the OS doesnt go out to the card until after boot..... It could be a bad phone.

I havent seen any brands not work, but I'm partial to SanDisk. Give it a shot for 20 bucks -- if the new one doesnt work, return it and return the phone.

DF Smod

Silver Member
Reaction score
These cards need to be formatted with the Droid and not a computer, try erasing the card in it's entirety and then starting up the device with the card in place, if this is succesful and the device boots up then go to settings/sd card and phone storage/unmount SD card and then choose "format card" after this is done select remount card...it should be good after that

pool_shark

Reaction score
I took the card from my Omnia and put it in my droid with no issues at all, and no formatting.

I did format it a week or so ago on my PC, copied info from my PC to the card, put it back in my D2, no issues.

Big_Ron

Reaction score
Wil somthing like this work on teh Droid-X or Droid 2

31JRqICpZaL._SS400_.jpg

pool_shark

Reaction score
No, the D2 uses micro SD, that is using 2 micro SD's into an SD adapter, which won't fit in the D2. I assume it's the same for the DX.