Droid 2G USB/SD Card

OBryan

Reaction score
I've been looking around & can't see the answer to this question. Sorry in advance if it's already been asked. I got the Droid 2G about 3 months ago & started syncing my music with the USB cable & media monkey. I got everything synced up & it was working fine. I decided I didn't listen to half the stuff I put on there & wanted to swap music out. I used Media monkey to delete the songs off my phone & started a new list of songs to put on it, but when I plugged the phone into my computer & went to the sync section of media monkey, my phone display said I didn't have an SD card installed. I went to settings & sure enough it was unavailable. The mount & unmount & even the format SD were all unavailable to select. I shut the phone off removed the card, put it back in & turned the phone back on. Instead of trying the sync again I went straight to settings & the SD card was available again. I left that screen open & plugged the USB back into my computer. I watched the SD card become unavailable within seconds. I removed the SD card again & plugged it into my computer with a card reader & could see all of my files. I then went to Verizon & they told me I needed to mess around with the USB debugging & mock locations settings & find the combination that keeps the SD card available for use. I couldn't get anymore help from those people so left really angry. I messed with those settings & the SD card would fade in & out of available & unavailable status. I finally called tech support & they said they have never heard of anything like this. They talked me through a hard reset & when I got the phone back online & plugged it into the USB it did the same thing. They agreed to send me a new phone, but I am just really curious if anyone knows what might have caused this? Is there a way to delete your music or music file wrong to mess up the SD card? Why did it look A-ok when I viewed all the files on the card reader? Thanks for any answers you can provide! :)

13th angel

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
Thats normal..... It unmounts the SD card so that you can use it as a usb type drive. As far as i know there is no way to have it mounted and it still work as a usb drive....

nerdslogic

Silver Member
Reaction score
I am sorry for your loss. I typed a huge response to your post then realized I was venting in your thread. So I just wanted to say sorry for the issues you are going through and I will post my "response" in my thread regarding being pissed with VZW.

OP
OBryan

OBryan

Reaction score
I think I left out a lil info. I need my sd card to be recognized while the use is plugged in so the music can be save in a file on it. When its plugged into the computer& the sd card is 'not founds the sync fails, because there is no where for it to go. Im not sure if im even making myself clear. Im just glad Verizon is sending me a new one. I just wanted to find out why this happened& if it was my fault, so I didn't let it happen again

13th angel

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
You cant have both..... Why do you need it to have both anyways? Just drag and drop the music onto the card using Explorer in windows....

Reaction score
You're doing it wrong, and you don't understand the way flash storage works. What you think you want is not what you actually want.

The SD card cannot (well, not reliably, accurately, or safely) be read by both the phone and the computer at the same time. It doesn't have to be, either. When you want to put music on it, it needs to be readable by the computer. Then when you're done, you unplug it from the computer, and the phone can read it, so that it can play your music.

The reason you're having problems is that you're using media monkey.

My recommendation is to plug the phone into your computer. Go to the notification bar at the top and find USB connection. Click on it. Then choose "USB Mass Storage". This makes your phone's SD card show up as an external drive on your computer. (Go to my computer and look for the new drive that has showed up)

If I were you, I would format the card (right click on the drive (probably F) and choose format. This will delete everything from your card, but since you've been messing around with media monkey and (probably) yanking the USB cord out without unmounting it, I personally would feel better about having a fresh card.

Once the card is formatted, you can just drag and drop your MP3 files from your hard drive onto the SD card. You can put them in a folder called music, or anywhere else you want, really. When you're done, make sure (on your phone) you go back to USB Connection and change it to "Charge Only", then WAIT for the "preparing SD card" message to go away BEFORE you unplug the USB cable.

Edit: I can't believe you described this problem to people in a VZW store AND on the phone and nobody was able to tell you that your phone is supposed to work EXACTLY like this. AND they agreed to send you a new phone? Sheesh. Idiots.