Freezes on startup with SD card installed

GOTSOOT

Reaction score
Last night I was trying to update an app (Angry Birds from Amazon Appstore), had some issues with it not installing correctly. Upon direction from Amazon Tech Support I updated my Amazon software to the most recent version, still no luck so I turned the phone off and then back on.

Upon rebooting, the phone froze up as it was initializing the SD card. Repeated attempts were unsuccessful. If I remove the SD Card, the phone will start up fine and work normally, with the exception of that missing data of course. I'm not sure if its relevant, but I was close to maxing out the 8gb SD card. I deleted a few files/etc and there should have been about 300mb free. Could that have anything to do with this? AFAIK, the app update was downloaded to my phone (onto the SD Card) but it would not install.

The SD card is working normally, I can plug it into my card reader and it works fine.

Any ideas? Thanks.

OP
GOTSOOT

GOTSOOT

Reaction score
Forgot to mention, phone is completely stock - not rooted. Only running LPP and WidgetLocker to cover up the Blur.

droid2drummer

Silver Member
Reaction score
Forgot to mention, phone is completely stock - not rooted. Only running LPP and WidgetLocker to cover up the Blur.

Factory data reset....if you can't get to your screen....hold pwer and x and when the lil triangle shows up hit the little looking glass or hard search key and select factory data reset...you will lose your data and apps but should have the market dl your apps back...
Edit..upon further reading I realize your factory reset should fix the freezing..but if your out of memory idk...maybe format sd? Or if you want a great app for viewing your staorage and deleting all files easily try disk usage...
Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums

OP
GOTSOOT

GOTSOOT

Reaction score
Factory data reset....if you can't get to your screen....hold pwer and x and when the lil triangle shows up hit the little looking glass or hard search key and select factory data reset...you will lose your data and apps but should have the market dl your apps back...
Edit..upon further reading I realize your factory reset should fix the freezing..but if your out of memory idk...maybe format sd? Or if you want a great app for viewing your staorage and deleting all files easily try disk usage...

Using Disk Usage does me no good if the phone won't work with the SD card installed. Can I move/delete files from the SD card on my computer? I'd like to yank some media off there to free up space, maybe pull the Angry Birds folder out in case the update file is corrupted or something...and then see what happens.

I'd really like to avoid doing a factory reset.

droid2drummer

Silver Member
Reaction score
Well you should be able to hook up via usb to the computer and pull your files up..and delete or add..so yes that should work but with your phone in its state I'm not sure but I would certainly try brother!:) I think its pcmode you put it in but not sure because I've personally never tried..but my son does it all the time with his dinc with songs...

UrbanBounca

Rescue Squad
Staff member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Is your SD card full? It indicates a bad/full SD if it's only happening when it's installed.

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk

OP
GOTSOOT

GOTSOOT

Reaction score
Well you should be able to hook up via usb to the computer and pull your files up..and delete or add..so yes that should work but with your phone in its state I'm not sure but I would certainly try brother!:) I think its pcmode you put it in but not sure because I've personally never tried..but my son does it all the time with his dinc with songs...

Why not just plug the SD card into a USB adapter? No phone required.

droid2drummer

Silver Member
Reaction score
Now I know that being 32hours affects my old tired brain...that my friend, was comman sense I didn't have at the moment...I think I'm going to rest a bit...too many jobs ..lol
Edit: good lord I meant being up ...awake...without sleep...lol

OP
GOTSOOT

GOTSOOT

Reaction score
Just wanted to close this thread out, the problem was that the SD card was maxed out. I cleared some crap out, problem solved. Thanks for listening and for all your suggestions, it helped me to figure it out.