SD Card problem or Droid 2?

rtrue012

Reaction score
Okay here is what I have. I originally purchased a Droid X. I returned it and got the Droid 2. I took and backed up all the info from the SD Card on the Droid X. I then took that same info and copied it to the Droid 2 SD Card. Everything works great no problems. I then take the Droid 2 and connect it to my PC and it recognizes it being connected but when I put it to "usb mass storage" option it continously bounces from "unmount to mount" and "preparing sd card". I formatted a new card copied everything from the existing card and attempted to connect with the same result. I then pulled the card and formatted it, did not copy anything to the card, plugged it in blank, attempted to connect to PC with the same result.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated! THANKS!

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Have you tried mounting it on another computer to see if it's not the computer having issues?

OP
R

rtrue012

Reaction score
I never thought to do that obviously and it worked fine on a secondary pc. When i connected it, it recognized the device and installed it's own drivers and worked as it should.

What can I do to make it work on my primary pc?

Just a thought...I went back and deleted all of the drivers associated with my Droid 2 (A995) and the Motorola MOTOCONNECT drivers...connected the phone back to the primary pc and let it install it's own drivers and i believe I was on the right track but I'm missing something. It wouldn't let you access the sd micro in USB mode but it would in CHARGE ONLY...interesting.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

razingkane

Reaction score
Okay here is what I have. I originally purchased a Droid X. I returned it and got the Droid 2. I took and backed up all the info from the SD Card on the Droid X. I then took that same info and copied it to the Droid 2 SD Card. Everything works great no problems. I then take the Droid 2 and connect it to my PC and it recognizes it being connected but when I put it to "usb mass storage" option it continously bounces from "unmount to mount" and "preparing sd card". I formatted a new card copied everything from the existing card and attempted to connect with the same result. I then pulled the card and formatted it, did not copy anything to the card, plugged it in blank, attempted to connect to PC with the same result.

Holy Hannah......I thought it was just me having this problem. Yup, plug the phone into my PC and the SD card goes from mounted to unmounted. I knew it worked at one time because I put a note in this forum asking how to get the photos off my phone and I was told to plug my phone into my PC...which worked. Now it doesn't.

razingkane

Reaction score

Holy Hannah......I thought it was just me having this problem. Yup, plug the phone into my PC and the SD card goes from mounted to unmounted. I knew it worked at one time because I put a note in this forum asking how to get the photos off my phone and I was told to plug my phone into my PC...which worked. Now it doesn't.

I don't have a 2nd computer to see if it does this again. So any other ideas?

OP
R

rtrue012

Reaction score
Here is where I am at this point...

I deleted all drivers associated with my Droid 2 (A995). Here is a link with those instructions that I used

Remove Unused Drivers and Devices

I downloaded and installede the drivers from Motorola from this link

USB and PC Charging Drivers - Motorola, Inc. USA

I connected my Droid, the PC recognized and installed all drivers necessary. I set my Droid to USB connection and the phone continued to "prepare SD card". I then changed my USB setting to "Debugging" and then PC recognized that change and my micro sd card drive popped up to open.

TADA! I now have access to my card with the Droid connected via USB.

Sounds complicated for such a simple process! Am I missing something? And does the phone have to be in DEBUG mode in order for the PC to open my sd card?

I will keep things posted if changes are noticed.

razingkane

Reaction score
[FONT=comic sans ms,sans-serif]Here's my fix:

I connect the D2 to the PC. My Computer/removable drive. dcim has my pictures. Copy the pictures to my PC and disconnect the D2 from the PC.

Not happy about this but it works. I'm thinking all this happened after the D2 2.2 to 2.3 upgrade a couple of weeks ago.

Is there a formal D2 place we can go to report this? I can't imagine there are just a few of us with this problem.[/FONT]

wmnomore

Reaction score
Curious why you needed to use any of the info from the DX at all. Were you saving text messages or something? Because everything is backed up with google and will restore once you log in to google with the new phone.
just wondering...

razingkane

Reaction score
I posted a question about this on the Verizon website. According to the person who replied to my post they state it's working correctly. It's unmounting from the phone to be mounted by the PC.......