Droid 4 "preparing SD card"

23diablo23

Reaction score
I purchased two Droid 4's that day they came out from verizonwireless.com. I've had each of the previous Droids and thought it would be a simple switch. Upon receiving the phones, I got each setup and running and then moved my 16GB SD card from my current Droid 3 to the Droid 4 planning to format it in the Droid 4 to start with a fresh slate. When powering the phone one, it recognized the SD card and displayed the "Preparing SD Card" message. This message never goes away and the SD card never ends up being mounted. I had the same problem with the other Droid 4 with a new SD card. I've put the card back in the original phone and formated it and then swapped it to get the same results. I've formated the card on my PC and put in the phone and got the same results. I've formated the card to NTFS at which point the Droid 4 does recognize it as an unusable format, formats it, but then continues with the "Preparing SD Card" message. Fortunately the 16GB of built in memory has allowed me to continue to use the phone, but at some point I would like the SD cards working in each of these phones. Any suggestions? And yes, I have done a factory reset, soft reset and hard reset, none have made a difference.

Thx,

Don

OP

23diablo23

Reaction score
Am I the only one having this problem? Both phones have been replace by Verizon with refurbished units and we have the same problem. Even bought a new 16GB card and the same results. This is driving me nuts.

Sparkimus

Reaction score
That is a strange issue. I've had 2 different 16GB cards and 1 8GB card in my Droid 4 and they have worked fine.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

DJGeorge

Reaction score
I haven't seen the issue reported here but have seen some SD weirdness.

Setup a Droid 4 for my wife with the 2G SD card from her Blackberry and it worked fine.

Just got a Droid 4 yesterday and when I installed a 32G SD, it recognized it and seemed to be working fine but it hosed the phone connectivity. Replaced it with the 8G SD card from my old Windows phone and the SD card is reconized fine and connectivity is back to normal.

Seems to be some sensivity to SD cards.

Hfurt

Reaction score
I haven't seen the issue reported here but have seen some SD weirdness.

Setup a Droid 4 for my wife with the 2G SD card from her Blackberry and it worked fine.

Just got a Droid 4 yesterday and when I installed a 32G SD, it recognized it and seemed to be working fine but it hosed the phone connectivity. Replaced it with the 8G SD card from my old Windows phone and the SD card is reconized fine and connectivity is back to normal.

Seems to be some sensivity to SD cards.

Ok, just so someone else chimes in. I have gone through 4, yes 4 droid 4's in 5 months. I have also gone through 2 Verizon provided san disk sd cards. I have no solution to he problem (I've just given up) and wanted you to know your not alone.