Using Droid1 16BG SD card in the Droid2?

HEMItude

Reaction score
I just got my Droid 2 upgrade today and I wanted to ask if anybody knows the best procedure to move my 16gb SD from my Droid 1 into the newer Droid 2 so I have the extra storage?

I'm assuming I just need to copy the contents of the 8gb D2 card onto my pc, then let the D2 format the 16gb and copy those files back over?

Any suggestions?

RemyL75

Reaction score
To be honest, you shouldn't need to format it at all. Unless you just want to, or you have Apps2SD on there, then just copying the files from the 8GB to your PC then copying them over to the 16GB from there.

RW-1

Silver Member
Reaction score
Shoudn't need to, but considering what is currently loaded on the D1's SD vs what apps are not yet installed on the D2, I would:

Copy off your data to the PC, Swap SD's, format it on the D2, then reload your folders and files.

This is considering that you only have photos, videos, etc. I can't speak for SW bloat.

Either way, you have nothing to lose by just sticking it in there.

jimnutt

Reaction score
Should be able to just pop in the 16 gig card. There shouldn't be anything on the 8 gig card that'll you'll need to transfer over. Any apps that were stored on the 16 will have to be reinstalled, but beyond that your pictures, etc. should be fine. Except for Apps2SD, Android doesn't store anything system critical on the SD card so they can be moved easily from phone to phone (and so you can use the phone without one in a pinch, although that's like using a computer without a hard drive).

RemyL75

Reaction score
Should be able to just pop in the 16 gig card. There shouldn't be anything on the 8 gig card that'll you'll need to transfer over. Any apps that were stored on the 16 will have to be reinstalled, but beyond that your pictures, etc. should be fine. Except for Apps2SD, Android doesn't store anything system critical on the SD card so they can be moved easily from phone to phone (and so you can use the phone without one in a pinch, although that's like using a computer without a hard drive).

Well, With the Droid 2, you can get away without using the MicroSD because of the 8GB of internal storage. So unless that is all used up, you actually can get away with using the phone without a MicroSD card pretty well.

LostRedneck

Reaction score
What I did was copy the data from my old D1 SD card onto my PC as a backup, formatted the card inside the D1, then just swapped the cards. no formatting needed from the d2, it worked like a dream

harv2000

Reaction score
I pulled it out of my Droid 1, pulled the 8Gb out of my Droid 2, reinserted them each in the other machine, powered them both up and both phones were perfectly happy. This was prior to really loading much of anything on the Droid 2.

Boat

Reaction score
Like harv20000, I just inserted the D1 16 gb card into D2. I was actually able to do a full restore of contacts/data/apps w/o issue.