Screen Protectors Scare Tactic

gardobus

Silver Member
Reaction score
I thought this thread was going to start with what I was told by Verizon. I got my X via telesales and an hour after I opened the box, I went to my local store to get a case. The rep told me the following:

"I don't know if you know a lot about touchscreens, but they have layers. When you touch it, you are touching the top layer. Every time you touch it, you degrade that layer. After a while you will degrade all the layers and your screen won't work anymore. So I highly highly recommend you get screen protectors!"

Now THAT is a scare tactic and I don't believe it one bit. I told him no thank you. I do plan on getting a screen protector because AZ is dusty and sand can scratch glass. However, I didn't feel like buying it from him after his little story.

If I'm wrong, let me know so I can go buy some from him...

motorhaith

Reaction score
i just put ghost-armor screen protector on it right now... although it may not be needed, i'd rather be safe than sorry... just my two cents... i've had ghost-armor since the first droid, then the incredible and now the droid x

dulaney22

Reaction score
These screens can most certainly be scratched. Carry one in your pocket long enough to find some sand in there with it and you'll see. It won't be bad but is will be there.

avt123

Reaction score
My Droid X is nekkid but still scratchless. My friend's X is now covered due to a scratch from her earring. Anyone wear diamonds in their ears? Diamonds can scratch glass...

Yea I am careful with my earrings. I'm a dude and I have a diamond in each ear. Good thing I mostly text/IM/email. When I do make phone calls, I don't hold the device directly on my ear/face. Just the speaker touches my ear.

mcsinfl

Reaction score
remember scratches and chips are 2 different things as well, a stone may not scratch it, but let it drop on the same stone and you may see a chip

GoGoSmarty

Reaction score
@ Jimbo1mcm - I went to ebay and got 3 clear screen protectors for 9.99.. I betcha VZ wont offer that.. Actually I got all my accessories there (1 wall/home charger, 1 hard case, 1 car charger, and 3 screen protectors) all for 30 bucks.. Average price was like 7 dollars.. And they where are OEM products too.. Not the off branded cheapo generic stuff.

I never buy accessories at the store as they rob you and mark up the stuff by at least 100%. Just like my phone, I only paid 150 bucks for it as I got it online.. Better than going to the store and paying regular price (299).. Online they use the 100 dollars as an instant rebate as opposed to giving you a debit card.. Instead of doing debit cards, why not just give me a instant rebate???

In reality I paid 50 bucks for my Droid X. But thats cause my friend gave me a 100 gift card as she got the regular droid... Otherwise I would have paid 150, which still is way better than the 250 or more at the store.

QQP

Reaction score
Any products out there to protect the camera lens from scratches? Maybe blue painters tape might be a cheap alternative?

mafia5123

Reaction score
Sorry tell you guys but the Droid X screen is scratch proof just like the HTC Incredible. No need for a screen protector if you're worried about scratching the screen.

ur an idiot. my droid x has a scratched screen.

jk12

Reaction score
Sorry tell you guys but the Droid X screen is scratch proof just like the HTC Incredible. No need for a screen protector if you're worried about scratching the screen.

If the X has the same gorilla properties as the droid 1, the X is NOT scratch proof. I have a 1/2" scratch on my droid 1...don't even know how it got there. Screen shields...ON.

outkastragtop

Reaction score
So the above story about how a verizon salesman tried to scam an old woman reminded me of a story i have. I went to the "official" verizon store by me about two years ago to by the lg env with my upgrade. So as im purchasing the phone the salesman is trying to get me to buy all of these products not even related to my phone. At one point he was attempting to sell me a $500 LAPTOP...i was already annoyed at his antics so by the time he got to the laptop he had already worked my nerves to the point where i didn't feel rude when i finally said "ok listen, i came here to buy a phone and be on my merry way. Im not buying anything else so you can stop tying to sell me the store. I just wanna buy this phone and leave." He didn't seem offended and FINALLY completed the transaction.

I don't think i've ever been so annoyed by someone in my life. I know they work on commision but ffs who buys a laptop on a whim? Anyone else ever deal with the idiots at the mall kiosks who try and stop you as you're walking by so they can get u to try their frigging hand products? Gives me anxiety everytime lol. That's wat this was like. That store in particular tho is just horrible.