Screen Protectors are 'NOT' all created equal...

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
Screen Protectors are 'NOT' all created equal
It's extremely rare in my experience that any product has options that are created equal... We certainly wouldn't have so many threads discussing them if they were. ;)

So are there any out there that are crystal clear and can be applied flawlessly?..without the need to apply using water??
Steinheil SGP Crystal -- it has been discussed quite a bit in this very forum. I haven't noticed problems with it scratching. I'll have to check out the Clear Protector if I replace the Steinheil.

I too am wondering what the consensus is on the screen protectors.
Consensus doesn't really matter. You need to select what you prefer. What is it that matters most for a screen protector for you? That will determine what screen protectors you should be considering. As the OP says, not all screen protectors are the same.

Thanks for that, I'll check out the ones you mentioned and will hope they are as clear as you state. So they go on flawless?
I haven't tried applying any with liquid or soap water..just sounded like it would be a bother, but will try dipping one in water as you stated and see if it applies flawlessly without any airbubbles.
It does take some skill to apply those that require liquid application. Some will have some air bubbles that don't go away until the liquid dries completely.

Last edited:

AndyP

Reaction score
i went through them all...

finally listened to the community and now I do not use any. My glass is a shirt wipe away from clean all the time. The corning gorilla glass does not scratch. feel the freedom, get rid of the screen protection!!

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
The corning gorilla glass does not scratch. feel the freedom, get rid of the screen protection!!
Sigh, here we go again... :icon_rolleyes:

Search. Gorilla Glass is scratch resistant, not unscratchable. There is a difference. As stated in every screen protector thread, the choice to even use one is a judgment call that each person needs to make. Just be aware of the facts.

Reaction score
I got my Stealth Guard Protector back in February and it was easier to apply than BSE or Zagg - and it is still holding up with NO problems. I mean...2 full body skins for $9.99 with a lifetime warranty - Why not?

Reaction score
Naked here. The Gorilla glass is very scratch resistant. I tried several screen protectors and all made the phone harder to use and looked like crap. I wipe my screen down with a microfiber cloth and it has NO scratches. Unless you are careless with it or in a harsh environment I wouldn't bother.

MJ5150

Reaction score
I like the look of the Steinheil better, but I think my Zagg did a better job of resisting scratches.

-Mike

roboeclispe

Reaction score
I was just at the Stealth Guards website, for a LIMITED TIME, full body protectors for the Droid models and other phones are free! You just pay for shipping and handling. Mine was $2.50 to ship to So. Cali.

LeeV

Reaction score
I was just at the Stealth Guards website, for a LIMITED TIME, full body protectors for the Droid models and other phones are free! You just pay for shipping and handling. Mine was $2.50 to ship to So. Cali.

I just received mine for my Droid. When I opened the envelope I only found what I thought was 1 piece of cardboard, but on further inspection found there must have been 2 pieced to begin with, but they were stuck together. I tried to peel them all apart which resulted in a tangled mess of gluey protectors. All was ruined.

wakeb791

Reaction score
ZAGG all the way! Greatest protector IMHO. Installation is easy enough. Tested this with a fork and steak knife, well protected screen. couldn't say as much for the metal rim outlying the screen though...didn't expect that =(. when trying to puncture the sagging product (not on the screen) it was very resistant and gave enough to not allow the knife to pass. 9.8/10 just a little pricey.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Feels too tacky and has the orange peel texture. No thanks. The screen also does't look nearly as sharp with it on. Been there, moved on.

dLi

Reaction score
I'm still with the Steinheil film, not too many scratches though.

Detonation

Reaction score

I just received mine for my Droid. When I opened the envelope I only found what I thought was 1 piece of cardboard, but on further inspection found there must have been 2 pieced to begin with, but they were stuck together. I tried to peel them all apart which resulted in a tangled mess of gluey protectors. All was ruined.

Yea I don't know why they ship them facing each other. Mine weren't stuck together, though. However I did notice the cut outs were not completely cut through in some places (rather than only having pieces on the sheet, they just stamp the cut out). A few pieces were hard to peel off, and the worst was the holes for the camera and motorola M on the battery door. I gave up trying to separate them without damaging the main piece, and found it was actually rather easy to peel them off once everything was applied and settled.

I've tried many screen protectors and Stealth Guardz ranks up there with them. Very smooth, minimal orange peel and tackiness, accurate fit. Definitely worth the $2.85, even with the cut out issues.

Last edited:

LeeV

Reaction score
Stealth Guard Mess

Yea I don't know why they ship them facing each other. Mine weren't stuck together, though. However I did notice the cut outs were not completely cut through in some places (rather than only having pieces on the sheet, they just stamp the cut out). A few pieces were hard to peel off, and the worst was the holes for the camera and motorola M on the battery door. I gave up trying to desperate them without damaging the main piece, and found it was actually rather easy to peel them off once everything was applied and settled.

I've tried many screen protectors and Stealth Guardz ranks up there with them. Very smooth, minimal orange peel and tackiness, accurate fit. Definitely worth the $2.85, even with the cut out issues.[/QUOTE]

I will say that their customer service (as I hold my breath!) seems good. I emailed what happened to them, and they are sending me a replacement set. I hope somebody puts a divider between them! :)

Reaction score
I got my new set from Stealth Guards yesterday and applied the front and back on my D1 using one drop of baby shampoo and a bowl of warm water. So far, it looks good and it's on pretty nice. Definitely satisfied for the price (Free plus $2.85 for shipping). I do have to say that you will need patience when applying any type of skin but if you have the patience it should turn out nice.

BigZig

Reaction score
I too am fully naked had protectors when I first got my phone but I keep my phone in pocket and for some reason my pocket is a dust magnet and have the dust get under the protectors was a problem for me so just went without and have had no scratches In 6 months the Droid screen is very resilient. Also much easier to clean

netsec

Reaction score
Applied XO skins 4 months ago, no scratches or scuffs, no degradation of touch sensitivity. Relatively easy to apply (wet method) and would purchase again. Excellent clarity. xoskins.com, no affiliation, just very satisfied and also used on my 2 iPhones.

I have been using XO Skins for a while now as well and love it, no orange peel at all and is slick as ice. When you install check out some of their videos they have some install help videos as well as scratch tests.
http://www.youtube.com/user/xoskins