Screen protector - application tips for success

metroplex

Reaction score
Does anyone have tips for successfully applying the clear screen protectors without leaving any air bubbles or getting dust underneath?

Cunha

Reaction score
Clean that baby. Use the fluid it should come with. If it doesn't come with some fluid for application than you are SOL and it's impossible haha. I can't remember exactly what the more expensive screen protectors come with, but it makes all the difference.

You just need to make sure the screen is perfectly clean before you try to apply it, and your hands which you should wash thoroughly (with dish soap not that stupid moisturizing hand soap bologna) and then have at it. You should apply it in the cleanest most dust free environment you can find. You don't want to be in a place where cat or dog hair will be in the air and stuff like that.

The fluid will let you move the screen protector around even once you have landed it so it makes it easy to set just right if you screw it up. You should be able to wipe out any bubbles with a credit card (or included credit card like tool). If you can't wipe out the bubble it is probably because of a spec of dust or some other contaminant and it will never be out if you let the thing dry with it in.

Its not as hard as reading about it online makes it sound.

PhilD

Reaction score
apply the screen protector near a light source (window, lamp, ...) so that you can see a reflection of the light on the screen. this will make it easier to spot a small piece of dust that may fall on the screen as you apply the protector.

Barristro

Reaction score
Clean that baby. Use the fluid it should come with. If it doesn't come with some fluid for application than you are SOL and it's impossible haha. I can't remember exactly what the more expensive screen protectors come with, but it makes all the difference.

If you do not have fluid, you can make it with a tiny bit of soap (I suggest NOT using anything with moisturizer in it) and about a cup of warm water.

kechamb

Reaction score
With regards to fluid, I have always used an anti-static lens/screen cleaner before applying the cover, you can pick this up almost anywhere and use it on almost any screen and it’s great for lens too. When it comes to applying I usually want good light and start and the bottom and work up smoothing out bubbles with a credit card or something like that. I mainly do this on my wife’s phone since my last phone had the invisishield on it. I am trying to decide if I want to do it on my droid or if I just want to replace the screen protector every few months.

Cunha

Reaction score
The screen needs to be clean but what we are talking about is applying the screen protector basically wet. It allows you to position it really easily and means if the bubbles are air that you definitely -will- be able to get them out. Bubbles that can't be removed are hair or sand or other contaminent.

Unless you are saying to use the lens / screen cleaner in that way.

kechamb

Reaction score
I use the cleaner for both cleaning and as something moist to assist in the application.

Montecarlo97z

Reaction score
zagg invisible shield applies real easily.. actually just put it on my phone 10 min ago, comes with a squeegee and applicator spray

a_feral_duck

Reaction score
I find little bubbles aren't a big deal when the screen is on, you can't see them and they don't interfere with the touch functions.

I find bending the cheaper (non-zagg) protectors slightly and starting from the middle will minimize bubbles. Then you can use a credit card to push what bubbles there are to the edge to work them out. Of course, clean hands clean screen, clean table to work on, and keeping the dog in another room all contribute to success.

Dustin.

Reaction score
1. Clean screen really good with the cloth that it came with.

2. Lay the top part of the protector on the screen. (Get it to stick a little bit to where you can hold it with one hand.)

3. Left hand holding the screen protector, right hand holding the cloth, Run the cloth down the protector SLOWLY laying it down as you go. (Side to side, not up and down!)

Best way I've ever used and still do. No bubbles or anything of the sort.

OP
metroplex

metroplex

Reaction score
I bought the kit from the local store and it came in a pack of 3 (the anti-glare style) that have 2 tabs for easy application. The first tab allows you to remove the release layer for the adhesive. The second tab removes a protective layer that allows you to push out bubbles w/o scratching the cover.

What I did was place the Droid 2 on some wet paper towels (to prevent dust from flying around), clean the screen really well, run the cover adhesive under the faucet with cold water, and place/squeegee out the bubbles. It took about 5 minutes and I ended up with a few tiny bubbles that somehow disappeared/squeezed out. It looks very clean now and enhances the screen texture for easier swiping/motions.

Cunha

Reaction score
Were your anti glare screen protectors cut to fit the D2? If so, where did you get them? Anti glare screen protectors are nice.

OP
metroplex

metroplex

Reaction score
Yes, they fit over the display part (they are not designed to cover the entire glass portion). I got them from the local Verizon store ($14.99 for a pack of 3).

Cunha

Reaction score
Here is a tip. At Target right now they are clearing out the PSP GO screen protectors. They are glossy but top quality. a 2 pack is 5 dollars. You need to narrow them slightly. The length will go from the top of the buttons to the bottom of the speaker but like I said you will want to use a good cutter and narrow the protector.