Separate names with a comma.
Discussion in 'Accessories' started by MotoMike, Jun 21, 2010.
Any good tips about applying the Skinomi screen protector? Any advice is appreciated.:blackdroid:
Well, last night I received my REFURB Incredible as my first one had some poor sound quality issues (as an aside, the manufacture date on it is 6/7/10 and it seems to be running much more smoothly and has much better sound quality than my 1st one). I had installed the skinomi on Incredible #1 by following the instructions pretty closely. It looked like crap for the first 2 days after I had put it on and only looked OK after the curing process (the 48 hour period after installation). The biggest mistake that I made was that I put the silicone case on after about 24 hours. Like many others have reported, the silicone case caused the bottom corners to lift and after that, they just wouldn't stay put...bubbling or curling up and it generally just annoyed me. Skinomi was great and sent me a replacement too!
So last night I installed the new Skinomi on Incredible #2 and I did it a little differently this time around. Here are my tips:
1) I HIGHLY SUGGEST that you make sure that your fingers are very wet during the entire process. Otherwise, your fingers will stick to it and ruin it.
2) While the Skinomi is still on the card it comes in, place it in a bowl of warm water and let it soak for about 2 minutes.
3) Use canned air and a lint free cloth to wipe off any dust.
4) Put a very little bit of water on the face of the incredible but make sure you don't get the device itself wet and wipe off any excess water that runs off the sides of the glass.
5) Now, in as smooth and precise a motion as you can, try to lay it on the face of the Incredible in one shot. I was lucky and got it absolutely perfectly aligned with no adjustment necessary. You can apparently move it around during this time but it sets pretty quickly.
6) Use the included card, your fingers, and the lint free cloth to gently push out any small air bubbles that may appear as well as any excess water trapped under the skin.
7) Let it sit for about 12 hours before you use it. I also took out the battery during the entre process and only put the battery back in the next morning.
I have to say, when I turned it on this morning, it already looked 75% perfect with only some minor rainbowing present. Now nearly 24 hours later, it looks absolutely STUNNING. No bubbles whatsoever. Crystal clear and it feels AMAZING. My finger glides accross it without any sticky or rubbery feeling like the prior one had. Maybe Skinomi changed their skins. I don't know for sure but I think the critical difference in my second application was the soaking of the Skinomi for a few minutes prior to applying it. I'm VERY VERY happy with it!
I probably will NOT be putting the silicone case on right away if at all. If I put it on, I wil be waiting for several days until I am feeling secure that the Skinomi is going to stay put. I would hate for the same thing to happen this time especially after such a flawless Skinomi installation.
Excellent suggestions Niki! dancedroid
They give you the solution but after applying to my Droid X I had used it all up. Then I noticed the stuff is only water anyway (oh.. with "detergent").
I used the warm water like you suggested when I applied to my Droid X (also used the same warm water to wet my fingers) and it all came out just beautiful.
Ditto on the silicone case. Did the same as you with my Incredible and the corners kept coming up. Going to use a snap-on case for my X instead of the silicone.
My skinomi saved my incredible yesterday from certain death and destruction. My incredible fell out of a moving car onto a 2 lane highway at 50 MPH. It survived with only a minor ding or two but the screen stayed pristine (the skinomi was scratched however).