Screen protector or not?? Pro's n con's....

justin82

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I don't use a screen protector yet, but I have a Seidio Innocase coming on Tuesday that has one built in, I'll let ya'll know how I like it :)

I have the Seidio Rugged which has the built in protector. I couldn't push my bottom buttons.

I don't think it's foolish to have a protector, I just think that it's hard to scratch glass. You can't do it with keys and anybody that says you can has keys made out of diamonds. I suppose it's possible to scratch it with sand but I've never experienced that.

If it gives you the fuzzy warms then get one.

I was considering the rugged, but it seemed like wicked overkill to me... I'm in an environment where I'd need that maybe 1-3 times per year, and i can leave it in the car when I am :)
One of my concerns was whether I could use the touchscreen well or his those bottom keys... As long as I can use the touchscreen, I have no problem modifying the protector so I can hit the bottom buttons... I have plenty of power tools! :)

touch screen works fine but the search and back buttons are hard to use about 2 hours of messing with took screen protector off.. not completley satisfied with my rugged purchase but the otterbox did not offer a holster that i am aware of..

so it is what it is..

FootballRef

Reaction score
Check out this guy trying to scratch his screen with a key.

[video=youtube;eh2g7AIHdc8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eh2g7AIHdc8]YouTube - Motorola Droid Scratch Test[/video]

jgumphress

Reaction score
The glass is some of the toughest on the market, Dow Corning Gorilla it's called. It is very hard to scratch under normal wear and tear. But then, nothing is unbreakable. I have always used protectors since my old days with Palms and Treos. But the Palms had plastic screens and were very easy to scratch. So I put one on my Droid right away. It wouldn't stay on because the surface has no recess around the edge. The cornors kept curling up from wear. And, too, it distracted so much from the looks of the screen. So now I go topless and have had no problems. The screens are tough.

Abadus

Reaction score
You guys are buying the wrong protectors. I don't even notice mine is on there.

Droid is what $500 to replace, screen protector is less than $5. I don't know about you but my moto Q had a few scratches on it. I plan on having the phone a while so I would hate to scratch it...

O that and I have a 2yr old son that likes my phone... Better safe than sorry.

pyro6128

Reaction score
well the key video means nothing, science explains why the key isnt scratching the glass. Its like 4th grade science class. That aside, I use a screen protector, and I don't even notice it on there. It in no way affects the responsiveness of my screen, and it doesnt smudge as easy. It doesn't hurt to have one on. And the way I see it, the stuff in your pocket won't necessarily scratch the screen, but if you drop it it could scratch VERY easily (unless it falls in grass or something). Not to mention the fact that its summer time now, which means beaches and such. And sand will absolutely scratch your screen

aaf709

Nice Guy
Premium Member
Reaction score
I just recently (today to be exact) got a case, but I never had a screen protector. Well, I did have a Zagg for a few seconds, but the fact there was bubbles and bits of hair under it really got to me. An attempt to fix it caused the shield to flip out of my hand onto the floor. I gave up after that.

I keep the Droid in a holster to it's not as likely to get scratched.

Taegost

Reaction score
You guys are buying the wrong protectors. I don't even notice mine is on there.

Droid is what $500 to replace, screen protector is less than $5. I don't know about you but my moto Q had a few scratches on it. I plan on having the phone a while so I would hate to scratch it...

O that and I have a 2yr old son that likes my phone... Better safe than sorry.

What screen protector are you using?
HCDroid - Thanks for the video, that was cool as hell!

Abadus

Reaction score
Not sure really. I got them at the Verizon store. Just plane Jane clear ones. Don't feel them or anything.

EgooEspada

Reaction score
I found screen protection not so necessary really. Had my Droid for 4 months and have yet to put a scratch on the screen. The gorilla glass is a beautiful thing..

lnslip

Reaction score
Ive never had a protector on my droid and have yet to scratch the screen even the slightest. Even after dropping it a lot of times and having it slide across the ground.

almaasak

Reaction score
I have the Otterbox case which came with a screen protector - so I'm using it. It does feel a bit laggy/sticky with the protector. I will keep it the way it is now but would probably remove it once the screen protector gets old.