Scam?

Porterhouse0

Reaction score
I just bought this on Ebay...Brand New Droid X - No Contract - Free Shipping - eBay (item 110576631940 end time Aug-22-10 18:17:14 PDT)

First, let me say yes i know i might have bought to quickly. I had some questions about the phone but i had to grab it quick before it was sold! lol it was only 375! and yes i know it was an in store display model but those dont get damaged do they?

anyway the guy has 100% feedback. which is nice. but it had no mention of the ESN being clean or not. he finally wrote back saying he is selling it for a friend and as far as he knows it has a clean ESN and has no reason to think otherwise. anyone have 2 cents to throw in?

bcals0087

Reaction score
seems alright, the only way to tell is one, if the phone comes, and two, if it's not beat. Sometimes the in-store models get pretty beat but these phones are also pretty well built so they can take a beating. I don't like how he advertised brand new droid x, but its really not brand new. It was used by customers that were testing it out.

Sasquatched

Reaction score
It looks like it could be a legit phone, but being a display model it is probably going to have a little bit of wear on it. Just the fact that numerous people have picked it up and played with it etc. The price is good, but notice at the very end of the description it says that it does not include the retail packaging. There isn't too much in the retail packaging but make sure the phone does have the 16gig memory card in it. If not then contact the seller and make sure he gives you one or credits you for the 'retail' price to purchase one, because it does say in the description it is included, and they are not cheap.
Good luck with it.

Sydman

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
Despite feedback to much of that sounds shady, I would have checked that ESN with Verizon before purchase. Why would someone buy a floord model of a cell phone and not even get packaging or anything with it.

OP
Porterhouse0

Porterhouse0

Reaction score
i appreciate everyones feedback. he actually just emailed me back with the ESN. he will calling tomorrow morning to check it AND SO WILL I! lol and yea if there isnt a 16gb card in the phone when i get it...for one i will be pissed but he advertised that it came with it...so there is no reason why for one wouldnt be able to get my money back or two have him send me one. thanks again everyone...and BTW i haven't paid for it yet :)

Abe21599

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
i appreciate everyones feedback. he actually just emailed me back with the ESN. he will calling tomorrow morning to check it AND SO WILL I! lol and yea if there isnt a 16gb card in the phone when i get it...for one i will be pissed but he advertised that it came with it...so there is no reason why for one wouldnt be able to get my money back or two have him send me one. thanks again everyone...and BTW i haven't paid for it yet :)

if there isnt one and its listed as there was one you can file a complaint with ebay.

OP
Porterhouse0

Porterhouse0

Reaction score

if there isnt one and its listed as there was one you can file a complaint with ebay.

oh u best believe i will be doing that...but lets hope it doesnt come to that lol

Abe21599

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score

oh u best believe i will be doing that...but lets hope it doesnt come to that lol

im just saying its an option if the actual item doesnt match the description..

Ferradinho

Reaction score
Definitely check the esn before you pay. That seems semi-shady to me but if the esn is clear then it's a sweet deal. Even if it has some wear the floor models are attached so they can't get dropped or really banged up much.
The odd thing is Verizon doesn't sell their display phones and almost all indirects have only dummy phones so I'd be curious to know exactly where it came from.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Eolly

Reaction score
One other thing screen shot the listing.
I had a seller go back and edit after the fact.
E-bay ended up on my side but only after I found the cached original version of the sale.

Good Luck hope it works out :D.

hoodboogie

Reaction score
Definitely check the esn before you pay. That seems semi-shady to me but if the esn is clear then it's a sweet deal. Even if it has some wear the floor models are attached so they can't get dropped or really banged up much.
The odd thing is Verizon doesn't sell their display phones and almost all indirects have only dummy phones so I'd be curious to know exactly where it came from.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Ditto, Possibly stolen?

OP
Porterhouse0

Porterhouse0

Reaction score
so after verifying ESN is clean. which it was. and paying... i get this message just 10 mintues ago...

"i hate to tel you this, but my friend called me today to bring him the phone to look at and once he did he informed me its a Droid Incredible not a Droid X. I am so sorry about this, your money will be refunded ASAP and the phone will be relisted on ebay as appropriate. Again I am so sorry about this. PS This is no fault of my own since this is not my phone being sold, its my friends phone as stated in my previous emails.

- doublefine_deals"

rickreno

Reaction score
If it's "New" - the auction states it should have "Packaging should be the same as what is found in a retail store, unless the item is handmade or was packaged by the manufacturer in non-retail packaging, such as an unprinted box or plastic bag."

At the end of this item it says it has no packaging. Is it stolen?