Ebay question

Hahn24

Reaction score
Okay so my friend gave me his Eris because he got it and doesn't want to pay for the internet on it so i bought it from him. I already have the droid and could use some extra cash so I put it on ebay. The only problem is that i dont know for 100% that it has a clean ESN number. so if i put in the item description that I am unsure if it has a clean ESN number and someone buys it and it doesn't work can i get in trouble?

T2noob

Reaction score
well I would think yes...if not with the company, the person you sell it 2.

AnneDroid

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Telephone Verizon Customer Support and indicate that you have a backup phone, and wish to verify that it is not lost, stolen, or in-use. They will usually accommodate you and check the ESN to verify that it is clean (or not). Just tell the truth and you should get your answer from them.

OP
Hahn24

Hahn24

Reaction score
well I would think yes...if not with the company, the person you sell it 2.

but how could i get in trouble when i warn them in the description that it might not have a clean ESN number. isn't it them just taking there chances? I can see how i would get in trouble if i didnt tell them anything about the ESN number and just sold it.

Serialkilla

Reaction score
Like AnneDroid said, just call Verizon. They will tell you if it is clear or not, very simple. I've done numerous times.

Reaction score
but how could i get in trouble when i warn them in the description that it might not have a clean ESN number. isn't it them just taking there chances? I can see how i would get in trouble if i didnt tell them anything about the ESN number and just sold it.

You will get a lot more for it if you can assure that it is an unlocked phone with a clear ESN. It is worth the call.

Mattb

Reaction score
This whole thing sounds pretty fishy to me. If it was your fiend's phone, why wouldnt it have a clear ESN? If the ESN is reported lost or stolen and someone buys it and tries to activate it your screwed. They're going to be pissed that they bought a stolen phone and they're going to sell you out as fast as they can.

OP
Hahn24

Hahn24

Reaction score
This whole thing sounds pretty fishy to me. If it was your fiend's phone, why wouldnt it have a clear ESN? If the ESN is reported lost or stolen and someone buys it and tries to activate it your screwed. They're going to be pissed that they bought a stolen phone and they're going to sell you out as fast as they can.

No i completely agree that it would sound sketchy but I know i dont think my friend would have stolen the phone and it could be reported lost because i never really asked how he acquired the phone i just got excited because he sold it to me for pretty cheap and i knew i could sell it. But i would put in the description that i do not know if it has a clean ESN and i wouldn't be held responsible if phone cannot be activated. (all in bold letters). so maybe people would just buy it for parts or something or maybe they can hack it somehow to get clear the esn number.

J-Buck

Reaction score
No u can't get in trouble... People do it all the time. As long as u say bad esn its not your fault. or u can say "check the esn for yourself" either way you'll get more money for a cleared esn so just call