Samsung Wallet for Gear

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Many of us carry around discount cards, gift cards, movie tickets, concert tickets , etc that have bar codes for scanning. Well there's at least 1 app for that on our phones, no matter the make or model but what if we could skip the opening the phone part, or better yet something when our phone is not even with us. Samsung Wallet is the Tizen based answer. You can save membership bar codes, coupons and other things on your phone and on your Samsung smartwatch, including a handy widget for quick access to your 3 favorite cards.
Adding new cards is easy . Just tap "+", name it, take a photo of the front of the card (or any photo you choose from your gallery or camera) then use the camera to snap a photo of the bar code using the apps built in bar code reader. Sync once to your watch and it's totally standalone until you make any changes to your cards, coupons, etc then just do a sync again. If, like me, you don't add anything there's no need to sync . Sync is done using your Samsung account for security purposes, like Color Note does with Gmail.
The app is protected from screen shots of bar codes on both the watch and phone so I don't have any of what it looks like on the watch when you tap one. It puts the watch , or phone if using it on the phone, on full bright with a white background and black barcode that even the most overused, abused store scanner should be able to see it.
Here's a few shots
The app on the watch when first opened
uploadfromtaptalk1424395258881.png

The membership cards I've got stored , again on the watch
uploadfromtaptalk1424395289439.png

The widget
uploadfromtaptalk1424395311880.png

App open on the phone
feb2cc49b54c90aa3ef82cefed36643f.jpg

My cards saved on the phone
df6da5b9d59f5a9d8efb53e89759b2c5.jpg

It's free and shows ads only on the phone, no paid version available to remove ads.

Support Our Troops !!!
<><
Beast Mode 4
I don't know why Tapatalk added this photo I discarded earlier from another thread and I cannot find it's url to remove it.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1424395235987.png
    uploadfromtaptalk1424395235987.png
    7.9 KB · Views: 235
Last edited:
OP
mountainbikermark

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
There is also a version on the Play Store for the Gear Fit that works basically the same way, just a smaller screen and it's free as well.

Support Our Troops !!!
<><
Beast Mode 4

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
I was actually wondering about Android Wear functionality for Google Wallet. Now that I finally got Wallet setup, I drive by Walgreens every day on my way to work. When I actually stopped there the other day, I had a notification on my phone that had the barcode for my Rewards card right in it. That's pretty slick, but it'd be even better if it was on my wrist. I can see how that would be handy.

Scan my watch for my rewards points and tap my phone to pay and I will have never even touched my physical wallet in Walgreens.

I still need to try Tap and Pay though. That's the last part I got setup on Wallet. The day I got the notification, I didn't have it setup, so I still had to pay like a neanderthal with a plastic card.

Ollie

Droid Does
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note Edge - iPhone 6 Plus
I wonder when Samsung's new acquisition Loop Pay will make it to our phones?

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
I wonder when Samsung's new acquisition Loop Pay will make it to our phones?
Sounds like it needs particular hardware to function. You could use the app, I'm sure, but to get the full effect, you need to get a case that has LoopPay hardware built in. I came across an article yesterday that had a picture of one such case.

Without the proper magnets or whatever it is that interacts with the scanner, you're dead in the water.

This case that I saw had the capability built in and also had a slot that stores a LoopPay card, so you can use that if you prefer and/or have trouble with the Tap and Pay feature.

The case, according to the picture, was about $60. Couldn't tell what phone it was for, and I didn't care to investigate further.

OP
mountainbikermark

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
It was seeing folks using an s pen and multi screen that helped them get over the phone screens reaching the +5" barrier. It was using bar codes on phones that helped folks see the positivity of using a phone to scan your discount cards.
The cool factor of a smartwatch when they ask to see your Walgreens card and you flash your watch? Yeah that'll be a tiny step toward Wear getting beyond the gimmick stage.
I get .03 a gallon off per gallon at Sheetz by holding my watch under the scanner with my Sheetz barcode opened. My wallet is a LOT thinner without all the freaking cards I don't need anymore, most of which I rarely use.

Support Our Troops !!!
<><
Beast Mode 4

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Crap. I keep forgetting that I have a football Booster card that gets me a few cents off per gallon of gas...

Sent from my Note 4 via Tapatalk

Ollie

Droid Does
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Sounds like it needs particular hardware to function. You could use the app, I'm sure, but to get the full effect, you need to get a case that has LoopPay hardware built in. I came across an article yesterday that had a picture of one such case.

Without the proper magnets or whatever it is that interacts with the scanner, you're dead in the water.

This case that I saw had the capability built in and also had a slot that stores a LoopPay card, so you can use that if you prefer and/or have trouble with the Tap and Pay feature.

The case, according to the picture, was about $60. Couldn't tell what phone it was for, and I didn't care to investigate further.

There is no doubt in my mind that Samsung will move it to NFC. Those cases are mostly for older iPhones that do not have NFC baked in. They also have a fob to use, but I have no idea how the fob would differentiate between cards.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
I thought the draw of LoopPay was that it doesn't rely on NFC. It's supposed to be able to work with traditional card scanners. That's the only reason why I changed my mind about whether it was good for Samsung to move more into the mobile payment world. That functionality would open it up to be WAY more useful than the other options out there.

As I stated in another thread, I'm pretty sure Walgreens (and now I've been told maybe McDonald's) are really the only places in my area that even have Google Wallet capability. I'll have to keep an eye out more now that I've got the app setup, but something that works at any store with a card reader would be my bread and butter.

OP
mountainbikermark

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I thought the draw of LoopPay was that it doesn't rely on NFC. It's supposed to be able to work with traditional card scanners. That's the only reason why I changed my mind about whether it was good for Samsung to move more into the mobile payment world. That functionality would open it up to be WAY more useful than the other options out there.

As I stated in another thread, I'm pretty sure Walgreens (and now I've been told maybe McDonald's) are really the only places in my area that even have Google Wallet capability. I'll have to keep an eye out more now that I've got the app setup, but something that works at any store with a card reader would be my bread and butter.
What about 7-11? They've got that nfc thing in my area. I've also seen it at a gas station somewhere but I don't remember where, I'm thinking it was in the boon docks of West Virginia.

Support Our Troops!!!
<><
Noteate

OP
mountainbikermark

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
No 7-11 convenience stores? What country do you live in oke:
I think their hayday has been taken over by gas stations adding food and groceries to their mix throughout much of the nation. They just closed another one near me as well.

Support Our Troops!!!
<><
Noteate

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
QuikTrip is where it's at back home in Kansas, but yeah. No 7-11's up here. No Sonic Drive-In either. That's something I actually miss.

Holiday is kinda like our 7-11. Open 24 hours and they have hot sandwiches/breakfast stuff and some basic groceries.

Ollie

Droid Does
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Loop is pretty smart. Swipe readers aren't going away as much as people want them to. Well actually I don't think people want them to. No one with the exception of myself pays for things in any of the stores where I live with their phones. I have never seen someone use GWallet or APay.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
I find this whole discussion hilarious, because my dad told me...probably like 10 years ago, maybe more, that over in Finland (?)...wherever Nokia is made, they've been paying with their phones since back then. And here we are, still having trouble figuring it out and getting everyone on board.

The exact story he told me was that they could walk up to a vending machine and their phone was hooked to their bank account, so they could pick what they wanted, debit it from their account, and carry on.