Samsung Wallet for Gear

OP
mountainbikermark

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I find this whole discussion hilarious, because my dad told me...probably like 10 years ago, maybe more, that over in Finland (?)...wherever Nokia is made, they've been paying with their phones since back then. And here we are, still having trouble figuring it out and getting everyone on board.

The exact story he told me was that they could walk up to a vending machine and their phone was hooked to their bank account, so they could pick what they wanted, debit it from their account, and carry on.
Until Android and iPhone, the U.S.was at least 2 decades behind Europe and Asia in mobile electronics.
I remember just a few years back when the bar code square box was bleeding edge here and rarely seen whereas it'd been a mainstay overseas for like forever.
As I mentioned in another thread, if not for the Scandanavians and Asians Bluetooth would still be not much more than a phone call option. We'd still be arguing and debating over boom mics or short units and what's the best noise reduction on our earpiece.
We sometimes forget on this little island called the United States, while we get zoned into hdtv and 5+" phone screens the rest of the world moved way forward decades ago. It's standard vs metric all over again as we resist the conversion once again. Japan (Sony) had a watch capable of making phone calls back when I was using an LG flip phone that had this new fangled music player embedded and external storage capability and GAGIN and Bitpim were THE thing to use to add our own ringtones without paying or carrier a hefty fee per tone, before the iPhone was even an AT&T exclusive. It only worked on their version of wcdma so it never was attempted to sell off the islands and the rest of the world said "wow that's pretty cool" then went back to sleep.
Speaking of sleep, Nokia phones could be powered off yet still be used as an alarm clock before digital phones were the mainstay here, something that to this day hasn't been repeated on any model by anybody, except for BlackBerry that had an ability to deep sleep the device and mimic that feature.

Support Our Troops !!!
<><
Beast Mode 4

Last edited:
OP
mountainbikermark

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
This is the oldest article I could find on smart watches, the author using his first one back in 08. It did mention the Japanese behemoth from years before though
Nova N800 Wrist Cell Phone Review

Support Our Troops !!!
<><
Beast Mode 4

OP
mountainbikermark

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I'm not ready to use a portable device to pay for things yet. I'm cool with discount cards and what not that aren't tied into my bank account but when it comes to Google or Samsung my tin hat puts itself back on. 1984, Terminator, I Robot, etc come back to mind and Microsoft had the technology to implant a debit card type chip under the skin over a decade ago. 1 World currency stuff like that gives me the heebie jeebies. Imagine walking through a scanner at work and your pay check is deposited into your arm, you walk into Wal-Mart and your purchase is automatically debited when you wave your hand near a scanner. Then imagine the world government decides your stance on gun control, abortion, freedom of speech, or whatever doesn't meet the politically correct way of believing and they cut off your account in some building on Brussels or you get lost in the wrong hood and a gang amputates your arm instead of stealing your wallet, watch and phone.

Support Our Troops !!!
<><
Beast Mode 4

Last edited:
OP
mountainbikermark

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
To go WAY off topic I'd suggest you look up how the Fed operates, what it is and who ACTUALLY controls it.
Anyway, I like having my discount stuff on my watch and will worry about all that other stuff another day. For now I'm going to stick my head back in the sand :D

Support Our Troops !!!
<><
Beast Mode 4

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
I guess it'd be different if I actually had money in my account after bills are paid. Haha! As long as I get hacked after that, they're only gonna get about $100. If I was a hacker, I'd go after someone other than me.

Sent from my Note 4 via Tapatalk

OP
mountainbikermark

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Oh they'll just open a credit card using your info, they'll get the bling, you'll get the bill.

Support Our Troops !!!
<><
Beast Mode 4

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
It'll be pretty easy to prove that wasn't me, what with every card I had cancelled and being enrolled in a debt relief hardship program, one of who's rules is to not open any new lines of credit while on the program.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
If someone wants my identity, they'll get it one way or another. I refuse to live in fear.

Even if you never use your bank's online banking, your info is still in their system & tied to the Internet. I figure I might as well use the features since I'm screwed either way if my bank is compromised.

OP
mountainbikermark

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
If someone wants my identity, they'll get it one way or another. I refuse to live in fear.

Even if you never use your bank's online banking, your info is still in their system & tied to the Internet. I figure I might as well use the features since I'm screwed either way if my bank is compromised.

Yeah my health insurance company for hacked, stealing everyone from 04 forwards entire identity information. Home Depot got zapped last year, prompting my bank to automatically send me a new card , Target the year before, prompting them to suggest I cancel my Red Card and reopen another one, which I closed but didn't open a new one.
I've got more free credit monitoring services keeping an eye on me now than I knew even existed thanks to hackers plus my banks both send me texts for anything that looks out of the ordinary, even to the point of refusing a payment query from Paypal last Christmas season because not enough time had elapsed between requests.
All that's left for all that information is a common denominator, such as Google, to bring about the ability for 1 giant corporation to control it all. The Fed is just such one with the desire and clout to be that.

Support Our Troops !!!
<><
Beast Mode 4

Last edited: